we need stencil shadows but....

Posted By: bs_twinbits

we need stencil shadows but.... - 11/15/06 15:47

Hi all,
we are using the engine version 6.50.02, A6 Prof.In our project running on my system AMD 64 X2 3800 and GeForce 7800 GTX, we have strong problems by using the stencil shadows. Without shadows the framerate is near the double as with shadows.But all models looks more realistic and much more better than without.Is there a chance to use them without loosing performance?
Bernd
twinbits entertainment
Posted By: Machinery_Frank

Re: we need stencil shadows but.... - 11/15/06 15:57

You can improve performance of stencils with LOD models. The shadow uses the next LOD stage and can be rendered much faster then.

And you need very simple structures for a shadow so it can be very low poly.
Posted By: TWO

Re: we need stencil shadows but.... - 11/15/06 19:14

Third time I write this:

Even a 8800GT wouldn´t make the shadows fast, cause they are calcualted on th CPU. JCL ( or maybe a skilled forum member ) will fix that, so the GPU will do the work. Then they are as fast as in other games using this kind of shadow technique.

Edit: Indeed true, no answer to the question; Sorry for that
Posted By: bs_twinbits

Re: we need stencil shadows but.... - 11/15/06 20:28

Quote:

Third time I write this:

Even a 8800GT wouldn´t make the shadows fast, cause they are calcualted on th CPU. JCL ( or maybe a skilled forum member ) will fix that, so the GPU will do the work. Then they are as fast as in other games using this kind of shadow technique.

What should I say to this answer, better nothing......
bs
Posted By: Machinery_Frank

Re: we need stencil shadows but.... - 11/15/06 21:46

That sounds really sad.
Posted By: Matt_Aufderheide

Re: we need stencil shadows but.... - 11/16/06 04:42

Well only the shadow volume extrusion is calculated on the cpu, not the actual rendering of the shadow, but the main thing is to use lower poly models for the shadows. The stencil shadow sthemselves arent so slow its the meshes you use them on. Use LOD models and it will be much faster.
© 2024 lite-C Forums