access the web from within a game?

Posted By: Drew

access the web from within a game? - 01/31/02 13:47

long shot-
HAs anyone ever integrated a web browser or web access in a 3DGS game? say in the game you could use a computer and access the web?
Posted By: XeXeS

Re: access the web from within a game? - 02/04/02 01:15

Sorry but my English is very bad;

I 've written a DLL for Gamestudio whith this you can run Microsoft Internet Explorer from a Button or what you want.

Posted By: Anonymous

Re: access the web from within a game? - 02/04/02 02:00

It could be done if you wrote your own .dll for it, I would do it myself, but I don't own the SDK.

f4t3z3r0

Re: access the web from within a game? - 02/04/02 02:01

Woops...was on my dads account. Hehehe, hope he won't notice,

f4t3z3r0

Re: access the web from within a game? - 02/04/02 11:41

Gullideckel -
could I get this from you? or are ya just teasing me
Posted By: XeXeS

Re: access the web from within a game? - 02/04/02 21:31

Yes you can Have it download it under www.sylx-systems.de under the link download but i think it has a big bug in it i must kill the bug and on 7 o'clock this evening you can Download it

Re: access the web from within a game? - 02/05/02 16:56

I can't find it...

Re: access the web from within a game? - 12/02/02 15:28

If anyone has a copy of this DLL that will allow me to start a browser from within A5, could I please get a copy. We want to be able to direct people to our website, and a way to handle registrations.

thanks,
Pete
Spokane, WA
www.coercion.com

Re: access the web from within a game? - 12/05/02 06:13

Ich hab tatsächlich so ein Spiel gemacht, wo man seinen Spielstand vom Spiel aus in eine Rangliste eintragen konnte. Es wurde automatisch die DfÜ-Verbindung aufgebaut und die Daten per DLL auf die Website übertragen. Wenn man unter den ersten 100 war, gab's Applaus, einen feinen Spruch und natürlich die Ergebnisse (Du steht's auf dem .. Rang, der beste Player ist xyz mit .. Punkten. damit Du Dich in die Rangliste eintragen kannst, musst Du mindestens .. Punkte erreichen.) Man war auch tatsächlich auf der Rangliste drauf. Wenn man's nicht glaubte, dann konnte man per Knopfdruck sinen Browser starten lassen und die Rangliste wurde angezeigt.

Hier die Ranglisten-Site Rangliste

Natürlich hab ich auch noch einen Website-Manager implementiert, wo ich die Rangliste jederzeit zurücksetzen konnte und natürlich, wo ich auch cheaten konnte. Ich demonstrier euch das gleich mal... ... so jetz bin ich auf der Rangliste der beste Spieler, hehehehe.

Das Spiel hab ich nie released, ist auch noch nicht ganz fertig und die die DLL hat noch einen wintzig kleinen bug bei der Öffnung der Browsers (funktioniert nur in 80% der Fälle, wenn der bug raus ist, funktioniert's bei 100% der Fälle).

Re: access the web from within a game? - 12/05/02 06:25

Falls Ihr Euch selbst gütlich tun möchtet, hat Noah verschiedene DLLs, die Euch dies möglich machen, hier der Link: Link zu Peacekeeper-Website
Posted By: Cellulaer

Re: access the web from within a game? - 12/05/02 06:27

@Dr. Jellyfingers: Yes it should possible to draw Internet Explorer on a panel or entity in 3DGS. It might be kind of scary though if the 3DGS forum was running around shooting at you in a FPS.

Re: access the web from within a game? - 12/05/02 06:43

quote:
Yes it should possible to draw Internet Explorer on a panel or entity in 3DGS.
Kannst Du mir das näher erklären, das tönt jetzt aber ganz interessant!
Posted By: Cellulaer

Re: access the web from within a game? - 12/05/02 08:43

@DocJoe: Well in Delphi you would just drop the TWebBrowser ActiveX control on your form. Then you create the form via a 3DGS plugin DLL and paint the form to your DirectX texture (panel or entity). I'm not sure if the user would be able to send clicks to the current web page (I would have to test it) but keyboard navigation is definately possible.

You can see an example of this here. This is someone elses site and uses GLScene (OpenGL) but the same thing is possible with 3DGS.

Re: access the web from within a game? - 12/05/02 15:34

Thanks Noah, very interesting!

Re: access the web from within a game? - 12/11/02 08:11

but is there a DLL out there that will simply let me launch internet explorer at a specific webpage. I don't need to run the web "in game." I just want an easy way for people to click and get to the registration site.

Pete
Posted By: JayG

Re: access the web from within a game? - 12/11/02 09:37

Just launching a web page in its own window is easy.

If C-Script has an execute function that can execute win32 commands, I can't look it up as I am away from my dev machine, then you could have it execute the following line and the browser should launch.

ShellExecute(NULL, _T("open"), "http://www.abc.com", NULL, NULL, SW_SHOW);

If it can not do that then let me know and I can put a dll together to do this for you.

Re: access the web from within a game? - 12/11/02 15:35

Maybe first look for the default browser. For instance by Noah's registry DLL.

Re: access the web from within a game? - 12/11/02 15:41

ah- there is an a command, "exec" that will let me launch the outside command. That sounds like a good idea checking the registry for default browser, so I will have to look into how that is done. Has anyone done it before?

Thanks for the help, guys.
Pete

Re: access the web from within a game? - 12/11/02 22:59

I made my own DLL and I searched the default browser in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT - htmlfile\\DefaultIcon. Then use exec(path_of_default_browser_exe, "www.my_homepage.com") or execute (with the whole exe file path and homepage adress in one string).

On my PC it runs without problems, but I think it's not the absolute correct path you have to search! So if there's anybody who can give the correct way, will get a big kiss (not from me, but from anybody of your wish, hehehehe)!

Re: access the web from within a game? - 12/11/02 23:02

PS: For the kiss I have to look what I can do... (depending on your wish!!!).
Posted By: JayG

Re: access the web from within a game? - 12/12/02 13:48

I have put up a DLL that contains a function that will Open a web page. I have tested in only under Windows XP.

@DocJoe I tried the Exec sample but on my machine it does not work properly (Win XP), so I figured I would provide this dll for anyone interested.

code:
//Sample Usage
function TestExec()
{
gsu_OpenURL("www.msn.com");
}

There are several functions that I am currently working on and should be ignored for now.

Check My Web Page below

Re: access the web from within a game? - 12/13/02 04:37

Thanks Jay. I tried it out and it works great.

Pete

(I might also mention I am using your Debug Window dll and that has been a huge help as well)
© 2024 lite-C Forums