A7 multiplayer team

Posted By: PrenceOfDarkness

A7 multiplayer team - 10/11/07 16:27

I was thinking... there is no way any of us are going to be able to accomplish a large scale multiplayer game on our own...

What I'm suggesting is that we all work together to maybe build a basic multiplayer system with A7 that can support at least 20 players and have it run smoothily. We would of course make this avaliable to to the community for free.

Let me know what you guys think:
prenceofdarkness@earthlink.net
Posted By: dennis

Re: A7 multiplayer team - 10/11/07 16:32

I like that idea....but I can't even handle the basics...
(http://www.coniserver.net/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/790829/an/0/page/0#Post790829 )
Posted By: ISG

Re: A7 multiplayer team - 10/11/07 16:36

I think the only real chance we have of releasing this is getting a few real knowledgable people to team up on this. For example a team of:

-Locoweed (bring him back to 3DGS) lol
-Damocles
-Fastlane

But again, that's personal opinion. I think these 3 people could work together to make native 3dgs syntax run 20 online players fairly smooth.
Posted By: molotov

Re: A7 multiplayer team - 10/11/07 18:21

I like that idear and I'm willing to help with this team.
Posted By: fastlane69

Re: A7 multiplayer team - 10/11/07 18:31

I already have such a system though so I'm out.
And if we could get it to publish correctly, I would love to show it to you but there are some odd differences in publishing vs. development that we can't quite get our hands on.
Working on it!

But I'll be more than happy to drop in and give advice if you start such a project/thread.
Posted By: PrenceOfDarkness

Re: A7 multiplayer team - 10/11/07 19:02

well why doesn't anyone who is interested give some kinda info about themselfs... what they have been able to do and not been able to do.

Here is mine:
All of A6 multiplayer I pretty much had the hang of...

I made my very own load/save system including login
I had a very simply inventory panel and item system
Of course basic movement
A basic Combat system.

Now that A7 is out my skills seem to have reset O_O'|

I can't get even a simple project to work without the screen going red on me with errors, but it's only a matter of time until I remaster this horse...

ANYONE ELSE?

Re: A7 multiplayer team - 10/11/07 19:05

Quote:

Now that A7 is out my skills seem to have reset O_O'|

HAHAHAHA Ain't that the gosh darn truth!

I did a straight c-script compile under A7 just to see what would happen and I couldn't even get my servers to boot up! Now mind you, that was just a quick one day affair so I don't put too much stock in it, but still goes to show how different the systems have become.

Re: A7 multiplayer team - 10/11/07 19:10

Here's what I've been able to do:

http://www.coniserver.net/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/776061/an/0/page/0#Post776061
Posted By: FBL

Re: A7 multiplayer team - 10/11/07 19:17

Publishing won't work because the current A7 release has a bug
Running in development however should do.
Posted By: SchokoKeks

Re: A7 multiplayer team - 10/11/07 20:05

Hey PrenceOfDarkness,

that idea sounds great, BUT
you have to focus on one genre. Compare an ego-shooter with "wsad" and an rpg or rts where you move your hero or units by clicking on the ground. networking is totally different in those genres..
my suggestion is to focus on an ego-shooter code, because this is most easy to code in general while at the same time the 3dgs "dead reckoning" system sucks at it . similar code could also be used in a WoW style RPG.
Our job would be to
1. code a smooth movement code which handles fast key inputs and mouse actions
2. create a maybe cheat-proof (<-hard to do) aiming system that beats the latency
3. make a demo game so everyone can test our template

I haven't been using 3DGS for over a year, and I'm still on A6, so no issues for me . I've recently started a "hack and slay" rpg, and i already have a movement code that can handle 20 players, probably even more. Sooner or later I will announce an alpha test in this forum, so keep visiting it, I'll be needing you .
As I'm currently busy programming this and have no plans on buying A7, I won't be able to participate in this project, sorry!

Good luck,
SchokoKeks
Posted By: Gumby22don

Re: A7 multiplayer team - 02/19/08 10:37

PrenceofDarkness, et al.

Anyone still up for this? I was away over christmas, and am just getting back into my night shifts with a few hours / day to play with 3dgs. I was starting to look at GSTnet for setting up something along these lines. I'd like to set up for wasd movement of an active character per login, and AI movement based on the next 3 movement/action points passed to clients. If people are up to working together on this sort of system, I'll work with you, otherwise i'll be starting to play with gstnet.

Don
have a great day
© 2024 lite-C Forums