First Thread

Posted By: Lukas

First Thread - 12/12/07 14:10

Even as a moderator I couldn't resist
This was an unique chance
Posted By: broozar

Re: First Thread - 12/12/07 14:14

what a nonsense forum is this? ai covers such a small aspect of game programming, it's like having a sudivision surface forum instead of a modelling forum.

Re: First Thread - 12/12/07 14:19

Yes that's true. There won't be many threads in this forum imho so I think having 4(!) moderators here is unnecessary. Two ones would do imho.
Posted By: Puppeteer

Re: First Thread - 12/12/07 14:43

Wow, i love this forum
not nonesense AI is the the only part in scripting which is really interessting for me
Posted By: Poison

Re: First Thread - 12/12/07 15:13

YEAHHHHHHHH !!!!!
An AI Section THAT is AWESOME...

And fo me too OMEGA , I think that Aris would LOVE this Forum section.

Cheers

Poison Byte
Posted By: Dark_samurai

Re: First Thread - 12/12/07 16:48

AI is one of the most difficult parts in game programing and a bad AI can make a good game bad. So it's cool that there is this new forum!

I hope we can learn a lot about the threads which will be posted in here so that we can make our perfect games more perfect

Dark_Samurai
Posted By: Damocles

Re: First Thread - 12/12/07 17:22

Nice

AI Topics are more "longlasting" than just short scripting issues.
With an AI Forum, the information is much easier to review for users, and dont go under so fast.

Since its a new section, it will take some time for the contributions, but Im shure this
will be a very interesting part in the Forum.

Re: First Thread - 12/12/07 18:18

I don't see very many AI-Threads in the forums but if this forum goes down well with the users it seems to be not that senseless

But anyway, I think here wouldn't be many threads and AI is actually a part of scripting.

Re: First Thread - 12/12/07 19:39

Can this Forum also be used as somekind of showcase, because i think questions like "How can i make a pathfinding" are really diffucult to answer (because th answer is long xD) and some kind of contributions would be great too...
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: First Thread - 12/12/07 19:42

i like this forum. its a good idea.

@DerOmega:
yes i think also this would be a good idea.
Posted By: Gumby22don

Re: First Thread - 12/13/07 04:14

Yeah - I personally like having an AI section - as I'm on holidays at the moment, I'm paying per kB on my mobile connection, and since I'm working through A-star and some other setups, I'm really only interested in topics that relate to math and AI. Next time I'm away, this forum section will be great.

Don
have a great day
Posted By: Frederick_Lim

Re: First Thread - 12/13/07 11:08

Making "crap" AI is easy, but a good one is very difficult.
Posted By: adoado

Re: First Thread - 12/13/07 13:09

Wow a new AI section This is awesome! In my opinion this is a hard aspect of programming so it is good that there is a section on this

Thanks,
Adoado
Posted By: Gordon_Shumway

Re: First Thread - 12/13/07 20:01

Hi,

I like the AI-Forum, because it's one of the importants parts of every game. Lot's of games died after making beautiful level design and after the first good looking models can run, at exactly this point. So, I think to share the knowledge will help the community a lot.

Good idea.

Bye G.S.
Posted By: Xarthor

Re: First Thread - 12/15/07 09:38

Nice to have an AI Section around here now too.

But wouldn't it have been more appropriate to have this section as a sub-section of "Game Development" instead of a sub-section of "GameStudio" as the AI topic is more connected to the development of a game than GameStudio as such.

just my two cents.

Re: First Thread - 12/15/07 13:54

Quote:

But wouldn't it have been more appropriate to have this section as a sub-section of "Game Development" instead of a sub-section of "GameStudio" as the AI topic is more connected to the development of a game than GameStudio as such.

I dont think so because coding the AI is partly more difficult than "inventing" it... (I think)
Posted By: Nems

Re: First Thread - 12/15/07 20:40

Actually I reckon such threads should be more of and apply to many more 'sepecifics' or isolated subject instances.
We got MP, Shaders, AI and now how about scene management, essential for customisation and perhaps exclusive to endless terrains/levels.

I think GSTudio is mature enough to tackle high end productions now but lacks the experimentation in projects to encourage further development along these lines, our user base is certainly maturing and therfore our experience overall so why not our approach to dev too.

Many members are still only developing using default parameters for terrain and model terrain managment and thanks to the terrain chunking and LOD we are begining to see more diving into the possiblity but not enough just yet to actually make a or set up the parameters one would need to develope under an expected chain of pipelines for dedicated developers.
Posted By: Gumby22don

Re: First Thread - 12/16/07 10:14

I agree wholeheartedly with your sentiments on GStudio being mature enough to be pushing these areas now. I'm on hols and loving really delving into an experimentation project, leading on to a future game (I hope). I guess once my base AI and interface is there, I'll be quite keen to push a scene management discussion alongside you.

For now though, I'm thoroughly happy with the performance of GS holding up 60 fps on a reasonable machine with multiple panels holding VIEWS of varying quality as well as panels, and all being selectable and movable. The results i'm getting far exceeded my expectations

I really look forward to seeing some active experimentation community projects develop.

Don
have a great day
Posted By: PHeMoX

Re: First Thread - 12/16/07 14:13

What's next ...? Important or not, it's not more important than just about all other general aspects of making games or programming, so I think it's a bit weird to make a new AI-only scripting section.

In my opinion it would make more sense to add a section specifically aimed at soundeffects and music instead of AI, because AI == scripting no matter how you twist it,

Cheers
Posted By: frazzle

Re: First Thread - 12/16/07 18:42

@ adoado

Quote:

Wow a new AI section This is awesome! In my opinion this is a hard aspect of programming so it is good that there is a section on this

I think I know why
Anyway, nice section I guess this will be handy to gather idea's and different concepts which will add up to a more advanced AI.

Cheers

Frazzle
Posted By: LarryLaffer

Re: First Thread - 12/24/07 11:35

This AI forum is cool!

good job on Damocles for pushing for this. And of course jcl for making it

This forum could double as a great archive for AI articles, always related to GS of course(there's a lot of AI forums out there, but none with lite-c code to come with)

I'll write something when i find time. Let me know if you have any requests
Posted By: AlbertoT

Re: First Thread - 01/05/08 11:25

AI is the most creative programming topic for a game engine user, the graphic programming being mainly the resposability of the engine itself
For me this thread is more than welcome

Re: First Thread - 01/09/08 21:29

Neuronal nets xD
© 2024 lite-C Forums