internet connection

Posted By: Scorpion

internet connection - 03/16/08 22:49

hey there,
I just started with programming MP and got stuck at 2 points:
1.[SOLVED] I want to send a string with send_string_id to a special client.
The manual says the clientID is given as 2nd parameter by a server-event and by send_string_id i see that the clientID must be a long varialbe.
edit: I used VAR instead of LONG

2.[UNSOLVED]The game works perfectly if I start the server and the client on the same pc, but if i try to play over internet with someone the client does not find a server.

I start the client with the ip of the server (We get it from http://www.whatsmyip.org )

What am I doing wrong/Where do I have to take care of?

Thanks
Scorpion
Posted By: Thalandor

Re: internet connection - 03/18/08 12:44

For question 2, has the host port forwarded? made sure connections are allowed on firewall?
Posted By: Quad

Re: internet connection - 03/18/08 13:15

firewalls, antiviruses(nod32 causes that).

and you may need to open your router's or modem's ports, that your clients and servers are using.

Re: internet connection - 03/18/08 18:33

Yeah thank you Thalandor...
I am reading into port forwarding at the moment.
and I tried: It works good over lan.

edit: can somehow help me with port forewarding? I found the settings in my router. There are 2 ports I have to enter source and target port. I made both 2300, but that doesn't work... so what would be right?
Posted By: Dark_samurai

Re: internet connection - 03/18/08 23:29

The problem is that every router is different and so the router software.
This makes it very difficult for us to help you.
Maybe you find some infos on the hp of your router producer.

Dark_Samurai
Posted By: giorgi3

Re: internet connection - 03/19/08 01:06

Gamestudio uses directx for it's networking (at least it did with a6). The standard ports for directx are 2300 thru 2400, so open up the entire range for both tcp and udp protocols (most routers have a 'both' option for this).

Some routers have a 'gaming' option, which automatically opens up the correct ports for directx. If you can find this with your router, try it first.

Re: internet connection - 03/19/08 01:46

www.portforward.com

makes life nice and easy, basically just fin your router/modem on that site and then pick any program and substitute 3dgs ports.

I am not entirely sure what ports 3dgs uses but ive heard you basically pick a port between 2300 and 2400 by using -port XXXX in the command line, and also for some unknown reason (well it is; some microsoft port, but thats not the point) open a port thats like 6074(??) not entirely sure was reading a post someone else on the formums a few days ago about it

Re: internet connection - 03/19/08 10:03

edit:
I set up a static ip for my pc and I forwarded the port 2300, but i can just choose tcp OR udp.

Re: internet connection - 03/20/08 03:27

Just port forward both of them , like i said im not entirely sure of the ports-system that 3dgs uses but no harm will be done
Posted By: nfs42

Re: internet connection - 03/20/08 07:39

Quote:

but i can just choose tcp OR udp.

dplay is udp based
Posted By: croman

Re: internet connection - 03/31/08 16:11

@Scorpion - have you found solution for that problem?
© 2024 lite-C Forums