beep() doesn't work

Posted By: pfeldman

beep() doesn't work - 07/29/08 20:23

When I invoke the beep() function, I don't get any sound. If some setup is required before calling beep(), then this should be explained in the documentation. So, I'm not sure whether this is a bug or a documentation problem.

Dr. Phillip M. Feldman
Posted By: Michael_Schwarz

Re: beep() doesn't work - 07/30/08 08:52

You need to have the beep.wav in yur project directory.

Dr. Dr. Prof. Dipl. Eng. Inf. Michael Schwarz

Re: beep() doesn't work - 08/10/08 19:28

It would be helpful if the documentation mentioned this. Also, it would be great if there were some way to avoid having 50 different copies of beep.wav. Thanks!
Posted By: FBL

Re: beep() doesn't work - 08/10/08 20:31

Quote:

beep();
Halts game execution for 100 ms while playing a short sound. Useful during function development, as it allows to quickly find out whether a certain instruction was reached or a certain function was executed at all. The sound can be given through the beep_sound sound pointer, e.g.:
SOUND* beep_sound = "beep.wav";

The method mentioned in the manual.
Posted By: jcl

Re: beep() doesn't work - 08/11/08 06:14

Besides, a default sound is played when beep.wav is not found.
Posted By: Volund

Re: beep() doesn't work - 08/14/08 15:21

In main script, before function main()

sound beep_sound = <beep.wav>;

were you thinking of a console or DOS application beep()?

Re: beep() doesn't work - 08/21/08 05:51

In the version of Lite-C that I downloaded on June 15, the default sound did not work; no sound was played unless beep_sound was assigned to an existing .wav file. Apparently, this has been fixed in the interim. Thanks!

P.S. Michael Schwarz has an impressive collection of degrees. What does the "inf" stand for? Inferiority complex?

P.P.S. I sometimes use the prefix "Dr." before my name, but never the "PhD" suffix, since that could be an acronym for "piled higher and deeper".

Re: beep() doesn't work - 08/23/08 05:42

I just tested this now using a version of Lite-C that I downloaded 1 week ago. When beep.wav exists, beep() plays a sound; when beep.wav does not exist, no sound is played. End of story.
Posted By: Tobias

Re: beep() doesn't work - 08/23/08 07:09

The version 1 week ago is just the same as of today, its version 1.1. So your beep problem cant have anything to do with the version. But I can tell you, I had the same problem and searched for it for ages!

I finally found that I had a sound named "beep.wav" in one of my subfolders, and that was a very short sound that you almost did not hear. It was played instead of the default sound and so I never heard a beep until I found and removed that sound.
© 2024 lite-C Forums