Realistic snake movement

Posted By: Benjamina

Realistic snake movement - 10/08/03 14:34

I am wondering, how would it be possible to do snake movement like in the game AxySnake (found at www.axysoft.com).

I've been wondering how this would be possible, it would be great if it were possible because I could then make a realistic snake game featuring one of those beautiful corn snakes.

Regards
Ben
Posted By: Realspawn

Re: Realistic snake movement - 10/09/03 22:01

basicly you would have to use a snake with bone animation
this would be simpel. How ever you need a 3d model program that can do it for you

Posted By: Antitrone

Re: Realistic snake movement - 11/03/03 18:15

just draw a spline.. not straight of course.. than try to move the snake along the line you just have to look that the snake is "online" in every part of the animation...
that's all
.. perhaps it helps you watching animalplanet or something like that
Posted By: SingleCell

Re: Realistic snake movement - 11/04/03 04:46

Hate to burst the bubble but snakes are a nightmare to get working properly in a game.

The main issue is around movement. If your snake has to climb any slope or objects, it gets real nasty! Basicly, if you are using bounding box collision detection, you will get big problems with the snake not following the ground properly, so if for instance it starts to climb an incline, it can appear to be "stuck" in the ground, or will "stick out" at odd angles. I know this problem very well, one of the games i worked on for Valve (Wanted) had rattle-snakes in it, and they were a nightmare for our programmer to deal with.

If the (your) snake was created with polygon level collision detection and built of "segments" it would be a lot more realistic (but proportionaly harder to code).

Im not saying dont try it, all im saying is, its not as easy as it first looks.

Tone
© 2024 lite-C Forums