Fullscreen mode fails in Windows 8

Posted By: TehV

Fullscreen mode fails in Windows 8 - 12/17/13 18:19

Hi,
I have an application that must run in fullscreen mode, as I require synchronization of the framerate with the screen update rate. This works well under older systems, up to Windows 7, but I am unable to switch into fullscreen mode in Windows 8.

video_switch and video_screen do absolutely nothing if used after the first frame.
If called on the first frame, they both cause the screen to rapidly switch between the desktop and a black screen, and then the engine crashes because DirectX could not be opened.

Is this a known problem?
Posted By: Quad

Re: Fullscreen mode fails in Windows 8 - 12/17/13 19:41

works here. could be a driver problem.
Posted By: Random

Re: Fullscreen mode fails in Windows 8 - 12/17/13 21:29

I also have win8, and sometimes fullscreen also gets messed up. But only sometimes.

Re: Fullscreen mode fails in Windows 8 - 12/20/13 20:38

I've just updated the DirectX driver from the Microsoft website and downloaded the latest version of Gamestudio. The problem persists.
It happens first time every time. Any other ideas?
Posted By: Quad

Re: Fullscreen mode fails in Windows 8 - 12/20/13 20:44

I was talking about graphics card drivers either from ati or nvidia.
Posted By: rojart

Re: Fullscreen mode fails in Windows 8 - 12/20/13 20:50

Originally Posted By: TehV
I've just updated the DirectX driver from the Microsoft website and downloaded the latest version of Gamestudio. The problem persists.
It happens first time every time. Any other ideas?

Already updated to 8.1?

Re: Fullscreen mode fails in Windows 8 - 12/22/13 10:36

I have now updated to 8.1 and have updated all graphics drivers, and it does switch into fullscreen mode now.
A problem still occurs though: When I attempt to use a second monitor, the screen resolution is changed on the primary monitor and the engine is displayed in the top left corner of the secondary monitor.
I've selected the secondary monitor with the -mon command line option.

The fullscreen mode has worked properly on the secondary monitor before. At some point the engine froze and the fullscreen mode has refused to work properly ever since, even after several system reboots.
Any ideas?
© 2024 lite-C Forums