Memory Leak, caused by SED or Acknex Engine?

Posted By: TripleX

Memory Leak, caused by SED or Acknex Engine? - 09/27/05 14:13

Hey

Many times it has been reported, that if you program a lot with 3D Gamestudio, 3DGS leaves always some memory leaks (~200 KB - 3MB) in your memory (has always beend dispatched by jcl) which is leading to an ERROR E1241: D3D device open failure / ERROR E1242: Video device open failure" (or you get other graphical errors, like wrong resolution or white skins/panels etc.)

I spent a bit more time into this error and now i found out that this error always appears after a long time of programing with sed.
Example: I start the engine 100 times and everything is working fine (i haven't done this because of this test but because I'm a perfectionst -> 1000ends of restarts ). After a reboot and serveral engine starts I write a big bunch of code (around 500 Lines) in ~1 hour - doing nothing more than programming - -> The engine crashs with the Error mentioned above.

This was not the only time... I always have the opinion, that after a long time of programming with BIG scripts (~10.000 lines) the engine crashs not because of memory leaks of the engine, but because of an fault in SED.

Why am I posting this here? Before I want to write this in a Bug Report, I want to hear your opionon.. Is it actually possible to get such a crash because of SED? Anyone made the same expericences?

Thanks
TripleX
Posted By: ello

Re: Memory Leak, caused by SED or Acknex Engine? - 09/27/05 14:50

i mentioned this , too some time ago. its definately sed that causes everything crashing. i first thought it was wed or the engine, but i found out its sed, too.
Posted By: ulf

Re: Memory Leak, caused by SED or Acknex Engine? - 09/27/05 14:52

i have the problem, that whenever i have sed and wed open the same time after i switch to wed with alt-tab wed just crashes.

this only happens when sed is open. wed alone is running fine, sed alone also makes no problems for me.

but if i run both at the same time, i only have to switch a couple of times using alt tab and then wed crashes.
Posted By: ello

Re: Memory Leak, caused by SED or Acknex Engine? - 09/27/05 15:24

Quote:

i have the problem, that whenever i have sed and wed open the same time after i switch to wed with alt-tab wed just crashes.

this only happens when sed is open. wed alone is running fine, sed alone also makes no problems for me.

but if i run both at the same time, i only have to switch a couple of times using alt tab and then wed crashes.

exactly... first i thought it was the often use of effect_load , but now...
Posted By: Juppp

Re: Memory Leak, caused by SED or Acknex Engine? - 09/27/05 15:59

i agree with everything TripleX said... since it happened here already a couple times as well
Posted By: MichaelGale

Re: Memory Leak, caused by SED or Acknex Engine? - 09/27/05 16:04

Does this only happen, if you start the engine from SED? If you do, you can try to start the engine with a bat file:
Code:

C:\Proramme\GStudio6\bin starter.wdl -nx 500

I do this like I said, and there happens never something.
Posted By: FoxHound

Re: Memory Leak, caused by SED or Acknex Engine? - 09/27/05 16:57

I've never had this problem actually. I always use SED for my programming and spend everyday coding. Alt+ tab to switch between "sed and wed" and "Wed and sed" gives me no problems.

The biggest problem I've had here is that SED uses way to much memory to just be a fancy notepad.

I'm not saying anyone is wrong, just that I have no had this problem.
Posted By: old_bill

Re: Memory Leak, caused by SED or Acknex Engine? - 09/27/05 18:45

I had this experience too, as the others here.
And this is not only since the last Betas, it happened also since the 6.3x versions:
http://www.coniserver.net/ubbthreads/sho...;page=10#441564

And i'm also used SED every time, maybe I should try it with MS VisualStudio instead (if i have too much time like TripleX ).
old_bill
Posted By: ulillillia

Re: Memory Leak, caused by SED or Acknex Engine? - 09/28/05 17:09

There is a major bug in SED that, as you type in SED, the system's resources gradually decrease. In my 2D game, for example, which is nothing more than panels and a 10,000-line script, when I'm typing up a long script, I watch my resources go from 52% free to just 14% free in about an hour. The fix (temporary) is to close SED, wait a few seconds for the resources to replenish and reopen SED.

A quick way to get SED to crash from this is to run the engine through SED, press control+escape to return to windows then use control+alt+delete and end the task of the engine. Then, in SED, type even one character and wait. The resources drop 9% in just 2 minutes and they will continue to drop as long as SED is the active window. I reported this crash bug quite a while ago. In my case, I was using a breakpoint_on instruction (for debugging) and when I pressed Esc to exit the engine, it didn't work, even after several tries. I had to resort to closing the engine in a remote way (control+escape to get into windows to do that, learned this accidentally two years ago) since there was no other way to close the engine (I was running in full screen so I couldn't click the X in the corner or right-click on the window in the task bar to close it that way).
Posted By: BlueBeast

Re: Memory Leak, caused by SED or Acknex Engine? - 10/01/05 07:32

call me silly, but couldn't you just use your mouse to open wed? If it's already open, it's just a tasbar button away :P Thats how I switch between programs, and I never had a problem, of course, i dont write lotsa scripts either...

Jason
Posted By: Trev101524

Re: Memory Leak, caused by SED or Acknex Engine? - 10/01/05 13:47

an even quicker fix would be to just switch to GST Builder. After i noticed the same problem I tried it out with GST, the third party compiler, and im pretty sure id does not eat ur resources the same way as SED does.
Posted By: Josh_Arldt

Re: Memory Leak, caused by SED or Acknex Engine? - 10/02/05 04:22

I have this exact same problem.
Over time it also gets worse...

After some time SED will stop opening on my computer.
It's process only shows up in the list of running processes.
The only way to get SED to open for me after this period of time is to reformat and install gamestudio.

So when this happens I usually switch to MSVC++ or GSTBuilder.
Although GSTBuilder erases your code if you open a file but don't make changes to it or save it then close it.
Posted By: ulillillia

Re: Memory Leak, caused by SED or Acknex Engine? - 10/02/05 04:38

Use Notepad or Wordpad instead. If only Conitec would ever release the update (even as a public beta), users could get the fixed and updated version of SED. 10 months is rediculous . I've almost quite literally stopped working on my 3D game because I need the external textures feature more than anything. There's hardly any changes going on in the base beta version as well - two or three things per month. If they'd release a public beta, they can get more fixed than that in the same time period. So many users are getting impatient with the release of the update....

Re: Memory Leak, caused by SED or Acknex Engine? - 10/02/05 06:14

the update will be released very soon... I would say ~2-4 weeks maxiumum..

But I would also prefer public betas (although i am a beta tester)
Posted By: nfs42

Re: Memory Leak, caused by SED or Acknex Engine? - 10/02/05 13:24

Quote:

Although GSTBuilder erases your code if you open a file but don't make changes to it or save it then close it.

Hi Josh,

this was a real old bug (fixed in 2001 I think), that shouldn't be in the actual release.
Can you post some more info about that?
Posted By: XNASorcerer

Re: Memory Leak, caused by SED or Acknex Engine? - 10/02/05 18:22

Yes, I agree with you, but the new beta SED still have some problems. For example, in my computer SED(beta) crashs when I try to open a wdl file. So, I can not use. Imagine if that happens for you also.
Posted By: Josh_Arldt

Re: Memory Leak, caused by SED or Acknex Engine? - 10/04/05 03:59

Quote:

this was a real old bug (fixed in 2001 I think), that shouldn't be in the actual release.
Can you post some more info about that?

Sorry, it turns out that I've been using an outdated version of GST-Builder.
It doesn't do that anymore with the update.
Posted By: XeXeS

Re: Memory Leak, caused by SED or Acknex Engine? - 10/04/05 06:41

Same thing as by me.

Best regards
XeXeS
Posted By: Excessus

Re: Memory Leak, caused by SED or Acknex Engine? - 10/06/05 17:30

I'm also having this problem.. After around 2 hours of programming, switching between programs gets problematic, and some buttons apear white. Restarting SED fixes it, but it's still quite annoying.
Posted By: fastlane69

Re: Memory Leak, caused by SED or Acknex Engine? - 10/06/05 19:28

I've not experieced the "major" problems others attest to, but I can say that the SED memory management is, to put it mildly, "weird"...

I open up SED 1.2.8, and it has a un-stable footprint of 13 meg. Left alone, this footprint slowly rises. IT shouldn't.

But here is the weird part. I left SED open last night for about 12 hours and the footprint this morning registers at 1.3 megs...ten times less!!!

And of course, the "fast type" issue is still there. If you type normally, you'll get about 8 to 10 percent CPU usage on SED...by comparason, notepad and word only use less than 4% under the same circumstance. If you type fast, SED jumps up to 50 or 60% CPU usage...notepad and word barely make it to 10%.

I've tried this same thing on the beta 1.3.0f and the same behaiviour is there, including a 15 Meg footprint upon opening which also slowly rises.

I've not experienced major problems, but there is definitely a bug(s) in there somewhere...
Posted By: PrenceOfDarkness

Re: Memory Leak, caused by SED or Acknex Engine? - 01/25/06 08:50

I'm still having this problem anyone else?

Re: Memory Leak, caused by SED or Acknex Engine? - 01/26/06 17:26

yep.. in fact it got worse with A6.40 in my opinion...
I'll post this into the bug hunt in the next days.
© 2024 lite-C Forums