Unlit

Posted By: Gafgar

Unlit - 11/22/05 12:19

I can’t seem to be able to make an entity unable to retrieve lighting... the unlit does not help at all. Dynamic light lights up everything any way...

It says:
“By setting this flag, the entity is not lit by external static and dynamic light sources”
But it’s not true…

Is there a exception or/and is there another way? Because i really need this.. Because the lighting of turning sprites is not that very good... >_<
Posted By: ShoreVietam

Re: Unlit - 11/22/05 14:27

Sprites?
I use UNLIT for everx sprite, it works as expected.

Sometimes even for models that are used in a way a sprite would be used.
I've never seen a light influencing UNLIT objects...
Posted By: fogman

Re: Unlit - 11/22/05 14:47

As a workaround you can use a material with no specular and diffuse.
Maybe a screenshot of your problem can help conitec to give an answer

Re: Unlit - 11/22/05 16:57

do you have
d3d_lightres = on;
when you se no effect on the entities?

i cant use materials.. my computer cant handle that for the moment so i would be happy so not use that... and I still want to be able to write in a ambient value..

i can show a screen latter.. don’t have the time for the moment..

Re: Unlit - 11/22/05 19:25

You don´t need good hardware for materials. I don´t mean shaders

Just download "MatsEd 2" for free and give it a try, the link is in my signature. It would be strange if your graphics card didn´t support poor materials.

Re: Unlit - 11/22/05 20:04

yah.. i know that.. But i also know that my hardware cant handle it.. :P... i cant handle FFE either.. >.<...
and this thing sounds like a bug to me ore something...?

Re: Unlit - 11/22/05 20:12

Then your PC could be the problem, because as far as I know, "Unlit" is a material, too.
It´s named "mat_unlit"

Re: Unlit - 11/22/05 21:16

ok.. that’s interesting.. because it works good if its not entity light.. but i will take a look at my other computer... (i am mostly on this computer witch is an laptop and that’s why it has that bad graphic card... else the laptop is pretty ok)... i will be back with more test results

Re: Unlit - 11/25/05 10:58

ok.. I tested on 2 good computers that even can handle shaders... the unlit command does not work!..
i am using the
d3d_lightres = on;
to have nice looking lights and then the unlit does not seems to be working att all.
Posted By: ShoreVietam

Re: Unlit - 11/25/05 12:11

As you seem to be the only one around here with that problem it could be helpful to have a screen to see what you mean.

Re: Unlit - 11/26/05 00:32

ok.. i must have around 3 screens and allot of text to really explain it.. i will try to make that tomorrow...

Re: Unlit - 11/28/05 00:00

ok. it become more than 3

and here is the code for the sprites...

my.skill2 = random(13);
my.oriented = off;
my.facing = on;
my.decal = on;
my.scale_x = 0.3 + random(0.20);
my.scale_y = 0.3 + random(0.20);
my.passable = on;
my.unlit = on;

Re: Unlit - 11/28/05 17:30

ok.. no one answered.. should i move this to bug hunt? -_-
this is a really big problem for me...
Posted By: jcl

Re: Unlit - 11/29/05 10:02

I don't fully understand what you want to tell us with your screenshots.

Unlit does not mean that an object is black or something. It just means that the object's brightness won't be altered anymore by static and dynamic lights. It's 'frozen'. You might also set unlit in WED for even preventing the initial brightness calculation. If you want all sprites to be equally bright, just set their material colors accordingly.

The formula for the brightness of an object is described in the Beta manual.

Re: Unlit - 11/29/05 10:38

When the object is created i set the unlit and ad an ambient to the entity. and still it change brightness... that is what i want to show... (when i in game remove the entity wit the light every object change anyway..
Posted By: ulillillia

Re: Unlit - 11/29/05 10:57

Perhaps you need the ambient_red stuff in a material. To get true color, set all to 255.

If you want all objects affected in the same way, use the mat_model or mat_sprite predefined materials. To affect a single object individually, create a material for it and in an action, point to that material then add my.dynamic = off after assigning the material to speed up rendering.

Re: Unlit - 11/29/05 12:03

at the first image all sprites have a given alpha depending on there position to the tree and the trees position to the light. but when the sprites are facing the light they all become affected even if i have unlit = on; and the manual says that is should not happen, that they will be unaffected by all light. But that’s not how it is.
(My computer don’t seems to be able to handle materials)

Re: Unlit - 11/29/05 12:13

If your computer were unable to handle materials, your image would be all black.

Unlit does only affect the influence of static and dynamic lights. It does not affect the sun or any other entity shading parameters. For disabling the shading you have to set the material's diffuse color vector at zero.

I'm afraid there is no way around reading the manual about materials - "My computer can't handle materials" is no excuse, unless you inherited your computer from your grandfather.

By the way, your tree sprites look nice.

Re: Unlit - 11/29/05 14:15

I am working on a laptop and I tried many things on this laptop but the graphic card does not seem to like any of them. I can’t handle FFE and I can’t handle materials. Anyway they make no deference on the light/shading on the model.. I have used that material effect editor lately and thought that if I had maid any wrong earlier in my script with materials then this would work, but no. No difference...
But what does the unlit do then? i understand that this computer cant make my leaves look good but what does the unlit rely do? i have read the manual and it says
"By setting this flag, the entity is not lit by external static and dynamic light sources. Only it's own light values, like ambient or the bright flag, influences it's brightness. By setting the ambient to -100 the entity becomes totally black. Large entities placed in the level, with a diameter of 250 quants or more, get the unlit and bright flag set by default. "

Thanks

Re: Unlit - 12/01/05 10:32

no response?... -_-
I don’t like to post posts like this but have to else it will bi burrowed in the line...

Re: Unlit - 12/01/05 10:58

Yes, this manual description is correct. However I suggest that you read the much more detailed description of entity lighting in the 'Lighting Engine' chapter of the new manual. It's for download on the manual forum. Of course, the lighting formula is for A6. If you're using A5 or A5 mode, you can not do much about the lighting.

I'm moving this thread now as it becomes unsuited for the 'Ask Conitec' forum.
Posted By: kopitzki

Re: Unlit - 12/01/05 21:20

I think you want to make do without materials. Anyhow, have a try on them and modify:

material mat_test
{ ambient_red = 255;
ambient_green = 255;
ambient_blue = 255;

diffuse_red = 0;
diffuse_green = 0;
diffuse_blue = 0;
specular_red=0;
specular_green=0;
specular_blue=0;
albedo=0;
power = 10;
}

ACTION leafaction
{
//...
my.material=mat_test;

}

Re: Unlit - 12/02/05 20:42

Quote:

Yes, this manual description is correct. However I suggest that you read the much more detailed description of entity lighting in the 'Lighting Engine' chapter of the new manual. It's for download on the manual forum. Of course, the lighting formula is for A6. If you're using A5 or A5 mode, you can not do much about the lighting.

I'm moving this thread now as it becomes unsuited for the 'Ask Conitec' forum.

Well i am using A6 lights... but i will reed the new manual... but some things that was in the old one that i tuck up does not seems to be quiet right?...

Well move it as you like.. But i thought that it was something that was not like it stood in the manual that why i chose the 'Ask Conitec' to see if it was something wrong or if it just where the manual telling me wrong things. or i just reading bad... but i know I am not that bad on reading English so then it must be written in a way that may be misunderstood... or something.

Re: Unlit - 12/02/05 20:44

i will try materials later one last time... but i will be rally surprised if it works
Posted By: Jamie_Lynn

Re: Unlit - 12/03/05 18:18

Can you let me know your test results? I am struggling with this exact problem but I am just starting to look at it ... so you are ahead of me in resolving it. I would really appreciate knowing how and if you got it working.

Edit:
Oops - disregard. I just tried the material definition kopitzki posted above and it worked perfectly.
THANKS kopitzi!
Posted By: Jamie_Lynn

Re: Unlit - 12/07/05 12:17

Don't know how you are progressing - but I found I only had trouble with lighting when placing something like a map entity down on floor tiles which where fully lit. If I did then definately a material definitions was required to correct the lighting (with the ambient settings way down).

Here is a shot of some map entities that are correctly lit without setting the unlit flag or defining a material. There are no blocks beneath these entities so no adjustments to the map entities were required. (The red indicates some missing floor shadows I now have to fix). The ambient values have been decreased for the sprites and models. They also are not using any material defs.

© 2024 lite-C Forums