Gamestudio 8.40.3 public beta

Posted By: jcl

Gamestudio 8.40.3 public beta - 09/03/12 13:04

A new Gamestudio update is available.

New features of Gamestudio 8.40: augmented reality, cloth simulation, 3D mode for beam and streak effects, improvements for lite-C and the map compiler, and many new or improved engine functions. A detailed list can be found here:

http://manual.3dgamestudio.net/newfeatures8.htm

Version 8.40.3 contains some small fixes of the reported bugs (see bug list). Install the update over your Gamestudio 8.30 version. Please report any problems to the bug forum.
Posted By: sivan

Re: Gamestudio 8.40.3 public beta - 09/03/12 14:21

cool, I see you found also the stencil shadow error I forgot to mention in my bug reports laugh
Posted By: painkiller

Re: Gamestudio 8.40.3 public beta - 09/03/12 15:03

nice, thanks!
Posted By: Dico

Re: Gamestudio 8.40.3 public beta - 09/05/12 00:32

Why,in this updat when i run the game from sed , i get it crashed

Re: Gamestudio 8.40.3 public beta - 09/05/12 06:59

Then I suggest that you get your game uncrashed again. In the manual under "troubleshooting" you might find tips how to do that.

Re: Gamestudio 8.40.3 public beta - 09/05/12 08:17

@Dico: try to localize the crash event in your code e.g. by sys_marker (I had also a crash with last beta, I did tests, reported, and now okay)

@ Jcl:
the terrain deformation is really fine now, auto updating normals would be fine too (but not essential, it can be done by script...)

decal and stencil shadows also fine in all the earlier problematic circumstances, but yesterday I was able to create another undesired behaviour. unfortunately my children prevented me of making notes (I had to play with them), but I will do the tests again this week...

Re: Gamestudio 8.40.3 public beta - 09/05/12 10:26

Jcl : my probleme in script editor and not in my game
(i have no crash in version 8.41)

Re: Gamestudio 8.40.3 public beta - 09/05/12 10:39

1 : i open script editor

2 : i run my game

3 : i close my game

4 : script editor crashed (why !!!!)

Re: Gamestudio 8.40.3 public beta - 09/06/12 07:14

Dico: The script editor normally won't crash when your game crashes, except when you're debugging it. Fix the crash first by following the suggestions above, before debugging your script.

If you can't find it although you tried, please describe your problem and ask for help in the developer's section. This thread is for the Gamestudio update only, not for problems with your game.
Posted By: 3dgs_snake

Re: Gamestudio 8.40.3 public beta - 09/06/12 07:36

Hi,

There is still a crash in knights_on_wheel.c (car_noise)

Best regards.

Re: Gamestudio 8.40.3 public beta - 09/06/12 07:43

jcl : ok the problem is gone when i install version 8.30
Posted By: 3run

Re: Gamestudio 8.40.3 public beta - 09/06/12 09:32

I'm getting problem with my movement script (I used PH_CHAR and PH_CAPSULE (same for PH_BOX too)), with previous (8.40.1) and with this version as well. Here is the thread I've posted some time ago:
Noob problem
If I do not lock FPS at 60 (and so I get stable 512 FPS) I get strange jumping behavior (player is jerking up and down), while with previous version everything works perfectly. I've seen this:
Originally Posted By: Version 8.30 compatibility notes
The height of a PH_CAPSULE shape was now adapted to the model height. It was smaller in prior versions. This can lead to a slightly different collision behavior.
But, as I said I tried to change to PH_BOX and I get same problem.. Plus, I do change min/max size of BBOX before registering entity in physX.

Re: Gamestudio 8.40.3 public beta - 09/06/12 09:38

Dico: There is no different SED in 8.30 and 8.40.

3run: The PH_CAPSULE size is identical in 8.30 and 8.40 - it was changed prior to 8.30. Thus, the jumping problem is apparently related to the frame rate. The frame rate is different between versions and also different on different PCs, so you must make your jumping script working independent of the frame rate. I think there are several examples of jumping scripts in the manual and also on the forum.

Re: Gamestudio 8.40.3 public beta - 09/06/12 09:47

jcl: I don't really ask for a "jumping script"!! I did not said that I have problems with jumping script, could you please read more carefully? I just would like to know, why my script doesn't work as it used to (with 8.30). And it already does work independent of the frame rate, cause if I use "c_move" instead of "pXent_move" everything works flawlessly! What is wrong with PH_CHAR and pXent_move??
And fix this thing already:
Deleting PhysX Objects
There are bunch of workaround, but why should we use one? Such stuff needs to work without one!!

Re: Gamestudio 8.40.3 public beta - 09/06/12 12:51

3run: PH_CHAR and pXent_move was not changed either in 8.40, so I can hardly know what your problem is, aside from what I already said above. If you can't fix it yourself, please contact support and describe the problem - they'll check your project and help.

Thanks for the report with the objects deleting issue - we'll look into this soon.

Re: Gamestudio 8.40.3 public beta - 09/06/12 18:16

jcl: thank you. I'll make up a small demo for support team. May be it could help to find something.

Re: Gamestudio 8.40.3 public beta - 09/10/12 12:29

decal shadows still not okay with water mirror, I tested it with my earlier clone_skin animation problem demo. in some camera angles they disappear.

Re: Gamestudio 8.40.3 public beta - 09/11/12 13:42

Can you give me the position and angle in your demo where this effect is visible? You'll see the coordinates when you press F11.

Re: Gamestudio 8.40.3 public beta - 09/11/12 17:37

hi , I uploaded a demo with 2 scripts http://www.mediafire.com/?b869jv3tt4oa5y3
one with stencil_shadow = 1 using unique decal shadows, and another with 0 using common decal shadows. after the printf, mirror water shader is set, and then in the middle of the screen decal shadows disappear.

Re: Gamestudio 8.40.3 public beta - 09/11/12 20:07

sivan: i think the problem in d3d_entsort

Re: Gamestudio 8.40.3 public beta - 09/12/12 08:43

Dico, I was able to check your suggestion only in A7, and yes if I remove d3d_entsort = 2; it works nearly properly. But when camera angle is lowered a bit, and moved close to units, the decal-shadows disappear again.
Later I try it in A8 too. Thanks.

Re: Gamestudio 8.40.3 public beta - 09/14/12 07:33

the same in A8, but only happens when water mirror view is applied.
(I need entsort 2 because of proper close look of vegetation which becomes more dense in lod0)

Re: Gamestudio 8.40.3 public beta - 09/15/12 08:47

I've sent an example to the Support Team. You can also take a look at it here:
Problems with PH_CHAR in 8.40.1
Posted By: Aquilis

Re: Gamestudio 8.40.3 public beta - 09/15/12 10:13

I found something weird related to the light engine. Here's a screenshot:

I have a terrain with terraintex3.fx shader (which blends 3 textures) and a light emitter which has a blue color set through its blue parameter. As you can see, the entities around receive the proper lightcolor, but the terrain receives just the opposite - red colored light. I'm not sure if the problem is in the shader itself (it's outdated after all) or not...
Posted By: MasterQ32

Re: Gamestudio 8.40.3 public beta - 09/15/12 10:41

i think this could be a bgr/rgb related problem
Posted By: Superku

Re: Gamestudio 8.40.3 public beta - 09/15/12 20:15

@jcl: When I click on the download link in your first post, I get to download the very old version 8.03. I assume you've deleted the beta from your server because the update was moved to the download section, but I think you should change/ remove the link to avoid confusion.

Re: Gamestudio 8.40.3 public beta - 09/17/12 07:46

Thanks for the comments - we've got the example, will look into the water mirror issue, and I've removed the link. Aquilis: if the problem was not also related to using the old shader version from A6, please contact Support and send them your project. They'll look into it. - Please post other issues with the current version to the bug forum.
© 2024 lite-C Forums