soft shadows?

Posted By: ventilator

soft shadows? - 10/18/06 18:11

i am curious about the soft shadows which are mentioned in the shader template forecast...

i suppose the soft shadows will be depth map shadows?

how cumbersome will they be to use?

probably there will be the need for assigning a shadow receiver material to every object which should receive soft shadows?

will there be the need to manually define views which render a depth map for lights which should cast soft shadows?
Posted By: MDI

soft shadows? - 10/18/06 20:08

Ehem you look clever!!
And said me have can make that when player shadow can get longer and shorter when you wolk close to light or go away!! And when ligh not shadow dissapears!!
Posted By: jcl

Re: soft shadows? - 10/19/06 09:37

Yes, depth map shadows. It will be a template and not an engine feature, so don't worry about how complicated they are to use - it will be as easy as usual with the templates. We'll use the standard materials, so you only need to assign something to the senders, not to the receivers.
Posted By: DEX

Re: soft shadows? - 10/19/06 18:42

SHADOWS are the weekest point of 3dgs, so I am happy to hear any improvements in that area.
Also I am curious when we will have shadows on terain, from blocks, that should be first feature to implement if you ask me. And terain self shadow map? (it can be faked through shader)
Why is so complicate thing to make good shadow system for terrains and models?

I think you should write that in Forecast on very very first place and start to work on that TODAY. Because even if we get some big publisher to see our game, first thing he will notice is a really bad shadow system and game will be rejected 100%. Belive me, I published more than 30 games in 7 diff. languages, so I am pretty "at home" in that area.
Now what we can do with shadows on terain is to fake them, thats all. And very time consuming.

So please make descent shadow system on terrain and from models and we will be happy and maybe some of us will make AAA title.
Thanks

Re: soft shadows? - 10/20/06 21:25

I can't belive that users are sutisfied with current shadow system!
Please lets say something about that and maybe we will get new shadow system very soon
Posted By: Orange Brat

Re: soft shadows? - 10/21/06 01:45

There's nothing wrong with the current system. There are standard stencil shadows and the non-stencil kind. A new kind of stencil shadow was recently implemented that eliminates some of the errors with the older style, however at the cost of speed. Most modern or semi-modern engines have one or the other or both and most games(including AAA) have used these kinds of shadows in the past and continue to today. The other engines' versions aren't any different from these unless they're a style that 3DGS doesn't support.

Soft shadows are achieved via shaders and you can either buy the Sphere plugin now or wait until they are implemented in the template shaders collection(see Forecast).

Re: soft shadows? - 10/21/06 05:50

Terrain does not receive any shadow from blocks... If this is good for you OK, but I need something more. You can only fake shadows with terrain pass.
Posted By: broozar

Re: soft shadows? - 10/21/06 06:42

if someone could just transper this code to 3dgs... http://download.developer.nvidia.com/dev...LSL_SoftShadows .. is it possible at all?
Posted By: Matt_Aufderheide

Re: soft shadows? - 10/21/06 06:53

Quote:

There's nothing wrong with the current system

Wrong. The current system is extremely primitive.. allowing only one shadow casting light at a time. This is a big problem for realism...plus you cant blend shadows correctly with the lighting passes and ambient, it doesnt look natural in most cases.

The current shadow system need a lot of improvemtns before it has any value.

Re: soft shadows? - 10/21/06 07:05

hey matt, you as a shader expert, what do you think about the NV-Code (url above)? it offers hard shadows, soft shadows in 2.0 and 3.0, a sample slider etc. to make the shadows fast and good-looking at any system at the same time. as i understand much too few of the topic, any chance for it?
Posted By: TWO

Re: soft shadows? - 10/21/06 08:36

As JCL said, the current shadow system is running on the cpu, thats why itīs extrem slow; But he will fix that, sometimes.. maybe... if he gets bored

Re: soft shadows? - 10/21/06 13:09

Exactly, if he is bored. And I think this is first thing we need with this engine, better SHADOW system.
So please Jcl make this thing better for us.
Current shadow system forces me to loose 2-3 more time that I need if shadows are good, then I dont need to find sollution in another programs to fake them like in this screen:

That is a realy time consuming for nothing
Posted By: Orange Brat

Re: soft shadows? - 10/22/06 20:47

@DEX: My last post was related to dynamic shadows and not terrain static shadows. I don't use terrain, so it doesn't matter to me at this point. However, a lot of people do, and it is a highly requested feature that needs to be addressed if it already hasn't.

Quote:

Quote:

There's nothing wrong with the current system

Wrong. The current system is extremely primitive.. allowing only one shadow casting light at a time. This is a big problem for realism...plus you cant blend shadows correctly with the lighting passes and ambient, it doesnt look natural in most cases.

The current shadow system need a lot of improvemtns before it has any value.

I'm all for advancements, however multiple shadows don't make or break a game or engine, nor is it any less realistic the way it is now and has been in almost every other engine for years. There are still plenty of games coming out that use both static lightmaps and an oval blob shadow for the player's shadow. And, they sell pretty well, too. We're not all trying to make the next Crysis or FEAR. Last time I checked it was bad gameplay vs. good gameplay that people remember and games in the good category live on no matter what they look like.
Posted By: nkl

Re: soft shadows? - 10/23/06 05:01

Quote:

if someone could just transper this code to 3dgs... http://download.developer.nvidia.com/dev...LSL_SoftShadows .. is it possible at all?

Hi DaBro0zar!
You can use the A6 VC++ Plugin SDK to write a VC++ wrapper to use nv build-in hardware shadow function.
Posted By: Machinery_Frank

Re: soft shadows? - 10/23/06 07:38

Please look at the current games and even at render pictures. You will notice very fast: Realism does not come mainly from polygons or textures. It comes in the most cases from lighting. Lights and shadows are the key.

Take a good scene an analyze what you see. I do that very often since I do texture creating at the moment. The same texture looks dull, non-metallic and flat without lighting. Now comes the light, a normal map, a specular map and even a depth map - the texture begins to look realistic and it starts to reflect light in certain spots.

With added shadows the scene becomes almost real.

This little story just tells you that real artists especially need one tool: lights and shadows to make professional scenes. So I understand DEX very much. This is the part what makes the artwork impressive. No matter how many good scripting functions are in the engine.

What does that mean for A6/A7? We need for future updates static and dynamic lights in combination with shaders (normal and parallax mapping with specular highlights). I am very happy that Conitec is going this way now. They want to provide shaders in a template and they want to improve the scene management to use shaders on top of level geometry. So it could become what I have in mind.

But DEX is still missing shadows on terrain. Did you ever create a terrain with shadows? I did. It is a big amount of work. When you use the template shader then you have to paint the shadows or you have to generate them in another tool like Freeworld3D, Gile(s) or in your rendering application. After that you import all in WED. You do not see the tiled textures and you have to place models almost blind.

Did you ever check IceX2 (a tool from a forum user). This one shows how it can be done. It is a terrain in-game editor that places objects, paints terrain and calculates shadows for the hills (but unfortunately not for level or model geometry).

At the end you got my vote for the best lighting and shadow system available

Regards,
Frank

Re: soft shadows? - 10/23/06 08:22

Quote:

Last time I checked it was bad gameplay vs. good gameplay that people remember and games in the good category live on no matter what they look like.

This is an irrellevant statement. No one said anything about gameplay. We were talking about the A6 shadows, and why they need improvement.

You can design your game however you want, whats that got to do the the shadowing system?
Posted By: Daedelus

Re: soft shadows? - 10/23/06 09:34

Quote:

As JCL said, the current shadow system is running on the cpu, thats why itīs extrem slow; But he will fix that, sometimes.. maybe... if he gets bored

Yeah, really. I think this shadow debate has been going on for about two years. How many programmers does Conitec have around now?

Re: soft shadows? - 10/23/06 09:49

Our policy was so far that all A6 main features should be able run on 1.1/1.3 hardware. This required so far that shadows run on the CPU. Users with not-so-new hardware are grateful for that.

As mentioned, a shadow mapping template is now planned, and I don't even need to get bored for writing it - on the contrary, this would be fun. However I'm having some more issues on my task list at the moment. Shadows are important, but other things are important too. We've recently hired a new programmer - Alexej - and are looking for another one, but I guess I won't have time for the shadow template within the next two months.

I hope this answers your questions.
Posted By: Damocles

Re: soft shadows? - 10/23/06 10:18

The easyest thing would be to make a shadowbaker
within WED, that accounts for BSP Blocks and (chosen) models,
and also take the lightinformation from the levelligts.

This is enough information to create a shadowmap for the inserted
terrain, and automaticall save this shadowmap as skin
on the terrain (make a copy of it)

This way the shadowed terrain is fast and looks quite good,
and is easy to implement for users.
Just insert a terrain into a level, assign it as shodowterrain and
let a renderfunction create its shadowmap.

There is no need to have a dynamic terrainshadow, If
one still used static BSP Blocks.

Either all dynamic Models and then dynamic shadow with a shader,
or Using Blocks, and having static shadows then for the terrain too.

Re: soft shadows? - 10/23/06 13:07

Quote:

Quote:

Hi DaBro0zar!
You can use the A6 VC++ Plugin SDK to write a VC++ wrapper to use nv build-in hardware shadow function.

sorry, but i have no clue how to do that. can you? what would it cost? you'd get customers like sand on the shore with that...

Re: soft shadows? - 10/23/06 20:56

I will repeat myself: Shadows and lighting are most important in order to sell game. I alreayd explained. You can make good game but when publisher sees poor shadow on terain you are doomed, and game is rejeted, I am sure about that.
So, JCL please rewrite your TODO list and place shadows on first place. We really have descent engine now, and it is a really pitty that shadows on terrain are so bad, practically non existent.
I ask you again to write exactly what and when you will do that we get shadows on terain, or some shadow baker like Democles said
Thank you

Re: soft shadows? - 10/24/06 09:33

Quote:

Our policy was so far that all A6 main features should be able run on 1.1/1.3 hardware. This required so far that shadows run on the CPU. Users with not-so-new hardware are grateful for that.

I dont think thats a good policy. Why not do several implementations, if you have the hardware it should be used.

Frakly I think users demand good lighting and shadows more than they want most other things. That's the main reason I made Sphere, and one reason its been fairly succesful...

Re: soft shadows? - 10/24/06 09:56

Static shadows and dynamic shadows are completely different things. Terrain shadows are of course possible with any hardware, and have nothing to do with the shader templates. They are on our high priority list as you can see in the forecast page. A terrain shadow generator will be developed for the Map compiler as soon as the current task with the map compiler is finished.
Posted By: FBL

Re: soft shadows? - 10/24/06 10:12

I cannot find anything about terrain shadows on the forecast page..?!

Re: soft shadows? - 10/24/06 10:13

Quote:

Terrain shadows are of course possible with any hardware, and have nothing to do with the shader templates.

Hm I didnt noticed that when I put block on terrain I am getting shadow from it onto terrain, or maybe i cant do it??
Also I am getting very bad shadows when I place model on a slope, shadow is simply not adjusted to the slope of the terrain.
So terain shadows ARE possible but they are useles in this state. And I absolutely agree with Matt that a lots of people is urging for good shadows.
So I highly support your statement that we will soon get shadows on terrain, and urge you once again to speed up things in that area because I feel that this issue is essential to make quality games with 3dgs. Even if engine is slow we could always play with nexus and get better loading times and FPS but with shadows there ar simply no options. Or we have 2 options: first is to fake them with shadow map in shaders, and second is not to use model shadows at all on terrains. But what if I want to place house block on terrain? How can I get shadows then without faking it?

Re: soft shadows? - 10/24/06 10:34

Quote:

I cannot find anything about terrain shadows on the forecast page..?!

Yes, sorry - it was there but I accidentally deleted it recently when I edited the page. Of course it's still planned. I've added it again.

Re: soft shadows? - 10/24/06 11:37

If a shadowmapper will be included that is good.

I dont think that a baked shadow is "faked",
as the lighning on blocks would be "faked" in this sense too,

it is just the application of the same concept of creating static shadows
to the terrain, as it is to the BSP-blocks.

But how will the calculated shadowmap be stored?
In the terrain directly, by altering the skin (and making a copy of
the terrain with the new skin?)
Or as a seperate created skintexture, that can be applied to the terrain manually?
(To rework certain areas, like adding shadow/light jitter for leaves of trees,
and some fixes for the shadow)

Will the shadowmapper account for models too, or just the Blocks?

There should be a specific multitextureshader for the shadowed terrain too,
it works with the MT-shader from the templates,
but maybe a special shader, that keeps the terrain to
have the exact lighning from
the ambient light brighnes of the BSP Level as a minnimum, to
the sunlight Brightness as a Maximum.
So that the shadows will have the ambient light brighness, and
the sunny parts, that sunlightbrigness.

Re: soft shadows? - 10/24/06 11:49

I would prefer a special single shadowmap. That can be used for overaying another texture or for a shader (e.g. the blue channel in the template shader).

The method can even fully support the template terrain shader and bake the shadow directly into the blue channel of the bitmap. We can still extract that channel with "The GIMP" or "Photoshop".

Regards,
Frank

Re: soft shadows? - 10/24/06 11:54

There should be the option to save the shadowmap
onto the terrainskin (blue channel)
and manually to a file.

Currently the skintextures can only be extracted as 16Bit Texture
from the skins in MED, so
maby one needs a 24Bit TGA for editing.

Re: soft shadows? - 10/26/06 09:02

In my view static shadow maps of all kinds need to be gotten rid of completely.

Re: soft shadows? - 10/26/06 10:15

Why?

In this view, there is no need for BSP Blocks with static lights either,
since this is the same concept:
Create a static lighning, that is rendered once, and needs not
renderingtime ingame (it just needs to be displayed).

Not every game needs dynamic shadows. If the gamelight / dayligt does not change,
and the lights dont move, there is no need to make the lighning dynamic.
The only problem that will persits, is that the shadows of units and Models will
look different than the shadows by blocks...

Re: soft shadows? - 10/26/06 10:30

I also can imagine that dynamic lights and shadows will be the future. Most shaders have only one purpose: creating dynamic lighting. This concept even uses normals, heights and specularity today. The gpu's do all that real-time.

Currently static light maps are a good way to create moody environments. If I would make a game now then I want to have static shadows as well. This ensures to run smoother today.

But the future will probably be real-time. It will even make much things easier: You don't need light map compilition. You can place a light in a real-time editor and you see results instantly.

Re: soft shadows? - 10/26/06 11:55

Quote:

Why? In this view, there is no need for BSP Blocks with static lights either,

Yes thats right.. such things should be removed from the engine.

Re: soft shadows? - 10/26/06 12:53

If all shadowing it rendered on the fly, the engine
needs much higher machines, than without it.

This is a hobby/indy engine after all,
so games with it should keep to the more high-fps
techniques.

Re: soft shadows? - 10/26/06 14:08

Matt is always several light years ahead of us .

While he's right that precalculated lighting will eventually disappear, at the moment - and also for the next couple of years - it will still be used by most major engines. Even Microsoft just began to implement precalculated lighting in DX9 and DX10.

Re: soft shadows? - 10/26/06 16:00

I dont think i'm too futuristic here. Engines like Doom3 have had this for years. CryEngine 2, Unreal 3, etc will all use dynamic lighting and shadows.

Some precalculation can be useful for such things as Global illumination and so on, but for standard lighitng and shadows there's no substitute for dynamic methods.
Posted By: FBL

Re: soft shadows? - 10/26/06 17:22

Why not just add dynamic stuff and leave the static things as they are once they are finished?
Posted By: William

Re: soft shadows? - 10/27/06 12:05

Naw, he's not lightyears ahead of us, just sees in FPV(First Person View), also known as "first person shooter view". It's a syndrome full of effects, and other razzle dazzle.

Unfortuantly, it will be a while until all games can switch to a fully dynamic lighting system, mostly due to speed reasons. I'd be doing things a differently if speed was no issue. As well, creating art to properly work with dynamic lighting is alot of work, a fair amount more than art developed in mind for static lightmaps.

Re: soft shadows? - 10/27/06 13:22

Quote:

...as well, creating art to properly work with dynamic lighting is alot of work, a fair amount more than art developed in mind for static lightmaps.

I can partly agree but also disagree. Arts for dynamic lighting can be even easier to do. You do not have to paint shadows, highlights and faked specularity into your image to make it look more realistic. This makes a real-time shader for you. So sometimes a faster created color map is sufficient.

Did you realize that many users today use quite simple maps for human skins? Just a flood fill with some noise on top? This is not big amount of work. The shader and the normal map will create all the details with real-time lighting.

But you are right when you want to create high poly meshes for the normal map in addition to your low poly mesh. That may take some minutes more
Posted By: PHeMoX

Re: soft shadows? - 10/27/06 17:17

Actually, both take a lot of time if you want to get it done right. If only people who use the fill tool would try to spend more than just half an hour on one skin painting, just take the time needed to make a proper skin. You know, add lot's of (necessary) details, and would look for some general painting tutorials, etc. ...

It seems just a handful of people are prepared to spend some time learning this, but it could greatly improve the overall quality of the games shown here on the forums .. I'm not critisizing anyone here, I've experienced myself that learning to digitally paint costs a LOT of time. (Still not done learning.)

Some people seem to think that shaders make a model look good, but infact it's the textures for 90+ % that makes it look good. Shaders can only make it a bit better, or way way worse. (I definately agree that bump mapping or parallax mapping and perhaps even specular mapping improve a model a lot, Frank_g's textures are a good example, however even there you see that it's actually the artwork that's making it great).

Cheers

Re: soft shadows? - 10/27/06 18:56

Quote:

Some people seem to think that shaders make a model look good, but infact it's the textures for 90+ % that makes it look good. Shaders can only make it a bit better, or way way worse

This statement doesnt make sense, because normal mapping is modeling and textureing combined. You start with a high poly model and and use that for the normal map. Textures are basically a hack to take the place of model detail.. normal mapping helps close the gap. MOst games now use color textures mostly for colors and some "texturery" details.. the real 3D detail is all in the normal map which is mostly modelled, not painted.

Look at the color skins for Doom3, they are pretty flat..

Re: soft shadows? - 10/27/06 19:30

Quote:

Look at the color skins for Doom3, they are pretty flat..

Which is exactly why they look like plastic, and which is exactly why even Doom3 proves my point! Contrary to the popular believe, it's not the shader (normalmapping/lighting/etc,) making the models look like plastic, it's the lack of good and detailed texturing.

Yes, normalmapping/bumpmapping adds details, however I'm talking about details on the skin level here, not wether or not a nose is more round, but wether or not it's color is right. Normalmapping is to save polygons, but keep the otherwise 3D details. The technique still needs good texture maps and good colored skins.

Search for the Doom3 modification project which is using bigger skin textures and more detail handpainted textures, you'll see what I mean.

Cheers

Re: soft shadows? - 10/27/06 23:42

Normal mapped models do not always look like plastic. If you ever created your own normal mapped models then you will know that you can control the metallic / plastic look with the specularity map. If there is no specularity then it would even look very dull and not plastic.

When you look into the latest showcase shots of my textures then you will see some parts that have more specularity than other parts. If you use that wisely then you can have a quite realistic look. And there is no shader to blame.

And Matt's statement with the flat color maps is right. You have to create them flat otherwise it will look wrong in the engine. You cannot paint a shadow in the color map and after that the real-time shadow will add to that. Often they can look contrary to each other.

Color maps should have only: colors. Lighting and highlights will come through normal and specularity maps. That is what 3d artists did in still render images for several years. And now it comes in real-time.
Posted By: William

Re: soft shadows? - 10/28/06 02:24

Shaders are a programmers attempt to kill the texture artist. "Bahhh, no more detail, keep it bland, the code will do the lighting! Let displacement mapping do the 3d work; wheres my procedural textures?! Grrr..." Conspiracy I tell ya.

The problem is you have to create a second model that is much more detailed for the normal map. This takes longer then creating a detailed 2d texture. But, as programs advance further, perhaps this wont be such a big deal. I've no problem with the look of static lightmaps, and perfer them in many situations. Half-Life2 looked better and more realistic than Quake4, although Quake4 felt stylized, which is nice. Perhaps one day when you can have the texture resolutions found in Half-life2, combined with per-pixel lighting found in Quake4, things will look very realistic. Ever notice how low-res everything is in a game that went for the realstic feel(Oblivion), now imagine this same with very high resolutions, the plastic effect should be gone.

Re: soft shadows? - 10/28/06 03:01

Quote:

Which is exactly why they look like plastic, and which is exactly why even Doom3 proves my point! Contrary to the popular believe, it's not the shader (normalmapping/lighting/etc,) making the models look like plastic, it's the lack of good and detailed texturing.

No, textureing in doom3 has little to do with why they look plastic (and frankly I dont think they look very plastic).. this is the specular/diffuse shader.. because there is no skin surface effect. This was because when Doom3 was made pixel shader hardware was not advanced enough to support lots of different surface simulations.

For realistic skin you need something like sub-surface scattering and better specular control.

High res textures are not so important, and there is a practical limit to high of a resolution you can get. In the future expect to see more procedural stuff with mulitple layers. For skin for insatnce, you will do most efects with detail normalo maps overlayed on top of the larger normal map, combined with a subsurface effect.

Poeple need to stop thikning in terms of "textures" and begin understand the concpet of materials. A flat color texture is a not particularly sophisticated hack to make up for lack of surface modelling complexity.

Re: soft shadows? - 10/28/06 15:50

Okey, I may have exagerated a bit indeed, colors need to be quite flat, but then again, why are there doom3 mods out there able to minimize the plastic look? I've seen their skin textures (infact I've worked on some of them some time ago (search for the 'Doom can do it too' threads) and specular maps too, it doesn't quite look the same.

Again, i'm not dissing the Doom3 engine here. The per-pixel bumpmaps, diffuse, specular, and light-filter cubemaps and stencil shadows volumes for all lights are pretty impressive.

Cheers
© 2024 lite-C Forums