Why gamestudio can't use png?

Posted By: ultranet

Why gamestudio can't use png? - 01/06/08 03:09

I want to use images with perfect soft edges but the alpha channel of a tga is difficult to draw precisely. What I know is that tga can't preserve its transparent area. Even if I draw in photoshop with transparent background and save as 32 bits tga, gamestudio still need an alpha channel to know how to draw the transparent part.

So why gamestudio can only use bmp, pcx and tga? Why png is not supported?
While other game engines generally support png, gamestudio doesn't. This seems as gamestudio is degraded.
Posted By: Tobias

Re: Why gamestudio can't use png? - 01/06/08 09:55

Well my friend, there is no difference between the alpha channel of a TGA and the alpha channel of a PNG. Both are only different file formats. The content is the same. I assume that you are not familiar with the concept of transparent images and alpha channels, so check out the lite-c workshops. Theres a lesson about how to paint transparent images.

In other words, when your TGA image looks like sh**t your PNG image won't look any better.

In other words, learn to know what you're talking about and then you can avoid similar embarassing situations in the future. Hope this helps...
Posted By: Xarthor

Re: Why gamestudio can't use png? - 01/06/08 10:58

@ulranet:
Just for the record: the png file format is supported.
Quote:

Supported image formats are PCX, BMP, TGA, DDS, PNG, JPG, and WAD.

Quoted: The holy manual, keyword: "File formats"
Posted By: ultranet

Re: Why gamestudio can't use png? - 01/06/08 15:47

Sorry for posting this silly question, guys.
I didn't see it in the manual before......
It's happy to know gs supports png.
Posted By: Scorpion

Re: Why gamestudio can't use png? - 01/06/08 16:07

the only thing is, that you can't import it to wed, you need to create it by script. But if you use png you should preload it always, else there appear ugly lags, because it have to be loaded(which takes more time then other pics, because of the good compression)
Posted By: DJBMASTER

Re: Why gamestudio can't use png? - 02/10/08 18:39

But .png cannot be used for model textures, can it? I have tried and my models always appear white in the game. Can they be used as model textures and if not, why?
Posted By: Vadim647

Re: Why gamestudio can't use png? - 02/10/08 19:49

Have you tried to use it as external texture?
Anyway, every program codes files a little bit different.
For example, i can use tga's saved by PhotoShop, because my other painting program makes it in such way, that images in GameStudio are vert-mirrored.
Sometimes i can't import a 32-bit bmp, because model will have wrong-flipped rendering (from back parts to front).
Posted By: jcl

Re: Why gamestudio can't use png? - 02/11/08 07:01

We support all major formats for BMAPs, but for model and level textures you should use TGA or DDS. All other texture formats are either not supported or not recommended for various reasons.
© 2024 lite-C Forums