lighting model based levels

Posted By: Stelynn

lighting model based levels - 03/02/07 21:22

I have built a small test level with just models. I placed one small block in the level, and set the level ambient light down to a value from 5 to 25. The level always shows up full bright. The model entites do not seem to be affected by the level ambient lighting or any colored lights I do place in the level. I have placed a dynamic light in the level and the entities are affected by the color and lightrange of the dynamic light. How do you construct a level out of model entites and apply effective lighting to it.
Posted By: xXxGuitar511

Re: lighting model based levels - 03/02/07 22:14

Models only react to dynamic lights.

When you see a model "apear" to be lit by a static light, that is because it is reading the brightness of te floor (Blocks only) under it.

So for model levels + lighting, you need to use dynamic lighting. With this, you call also use shaders for better quality.
Posted By: DWilki

Re: lighting model based levels - 03/02/07 22:18

Well, right now their really isnt a way that I know of. You can buy Sphere 2.0 which applies soft shadows to 3D mesh, but 3DGS doesnt support light mapping for 3D models at this time. You can try using stencil shadows, but that can be a mess.

I think I have read that their is a way to bake shadows with some third party tools.

Without sphere though, I think you are out of luck.

Correct me if I'm wrong please, because I would like to know if their is a way to get shadow maps on mesh using the latest version of 3DGS.
Posted By: xXxGuitar511

Re: lighting model based levels - 03/02/07 22:40

I was going to write a plugin to do that, but i don't know c++.. lol. So I got nowhere.

You don't NEED sphere. Shaders will work too (comm+), just not as fast as sphere...
© 2024 lite-C Forums