AutoCad

Posted By: Lawrence

AutoCad - 02/22/08 14:48

I am not sure if this is the right place. Is there a way to take an Autocad model of a building and bringing it to GameStudio?

Thanks
Posted By: Dark_samurai

Re: AutoCad - 02/22/08 14:59

Hmmm... I always thought that AutoCad can only draw 2D.
What format is the model?

Dark_Samurai
Posted By: Ego

Re: AutoCad - 02/22/08 15:02

if you convert your model (presumably in .dxf, but i dont use autocad, so i might be wrong on the format here) into .3ds, you should be able to import like any other object
Posted By: Dark_samurai

Re: AutoCad - 02/22/08 15:30

But I think such a model will be unusable in computergames, because they have to much polygons! You will need a program which reduce the polycount.

Dark_Samurai
Posted By: Lawrence

Re: AutoCad - 02/22/08 18:30

I do not know yet what format autocad saves to. I would think that it would export to 3DS or something that max uses or maybe X3D(VRML). I was looking at Conitec's download page and there is a max2gs plugin, but I don't have max. If it is just an exporter than maybe I can run it without max. I have GameSpace I might be able to use it and then export to GameStudio.
Posted By: DestroyTheRunner

Re: AutoCad - 02/22/08 20:58

@Dark samurai
yes i think since AutoCad 2004(if im not wrong) you´re able to draw in 3d... in AutoCad 2006 and 2007 they´ve improved the 3d part

@Lawrence
AutoCad saves to .DWG and .DXF and some others. but they´re probably useless for our needs.
About exporting yes, it exports to 3DS and some others that I dont know what is for.

@ego
.DXF is the format that AutoCad 2004 and below uses to save.

In my opinion it would be great to have a plugin to export autocad stuff to 3dgs, in 3dgs (although its easier) I dont like very much the fact of Dragging and Dropping the blocks and stuff, typing the coordinates manually gives me more control of the stuff im creating.

© 2024 lite-C Forums