Water extends into skybox?

Posted By: The_Clyde

Water extends into skybox? - 01/08/11 01:06

I feel silly having to ask this, but what's the best way to have a vast expanse, such as water, that continues past the area the player can go but visibly extends off into the skybox, seemingly becoming the horizon?
Posted By: MasterQ32

Re: Water extends into skybox? - 01/08/11 01:09

use a terrain with level_loadendless
it's the best idea i have grin
Posted By: The_Clyde

Re: Water extends into skybox? - 01/08/11 02:16

Close, but I'm trying to make a cluster of tiny islands pretty much in the middle of nowhere. What I'm trying to avoid is having a great big water plane placed in WED, that you can see the edges of before it hits the horizon line...
Posted By: Joey

Re: Water extends into skybox? - 01/15/11 17:44

Try to use a disc. When you don't move too high above the islands you won't notice the edges.
Another idea is to use a vertex shader which always extends to the horizon. You'd only need four vertices here. I think Crysis uses something similar; the sea is actually calculated in view space and thus uses only relatively few polygons.
Posted By: Slin

Re: Water extends into skybox? - 01/15/11 19:51

It anyways will never hit the horizon. Thanks to clipping. What I do is to let the horizon fade into one fixed color and make the whater fade into that same color. While completely reflecting the sky ther basicly does the same, it usually isnīt able to completely hide the transition.
Posted By: Joey

Re: Water extends into skybox? - 01/17/11 16:34

With a shader this would be possible. Or you use a sky dome in front of your water entity in order to hide the transition.
© 2024 lite-C Forums