Why is this happening? (picture inside)

Posted By: mussashimits3

Why is this happening? (picture inside) - 04/11/06 05:47

hi,
When I attempt to load a .3ds file, or import any BMP into med, the image's colors get changed. I assume this is because the palette doesn't have true color. Is there any way around this? Or is there a plugin that increases the number of colors ME allows? Thanks!
Posted By: beegee

Re: MED's palette - 04/11/06 11:27

You have to save your picuture as a 16.7mill. Bitmap. Then normally it works. But don't know if this is right. I haven't used MED and WED for a so long time.

Regards,
#benny#

----------------------
GenuineMotors.de

Re: MED's palette - 04/11/06 14:34

Are you refering to saving the picture in whatever program I use outside of MED as a 16.7mill bitmap? In that case I'm not sujre what to do, because MED constructs the picture from 10 different textures. When the model loads in MED, that's when the whole skin is wrong.

I try importing another skin in the skin viewer. Even though the skin is a 24-bit bitmap, it gets messed up in MED and MED's skin viewer. I go to Edit->Convert but Convert is faded out.

Re: MED's palette - 04/12/06 02:13

This image should help. The top skin is what turns up when I import the file into MED

Posted By: sinnlos

Re: MED's palette - 04/12/06 06:28

Hi there

did u try to reload the tga in the skin editor?

that's what i always do, when i import models to MED.

cheers

Sinnlos

PS: nice UV layout
Posted By: broozar

Re: MED's palette - 04/12/06 07:19

how does it look in the engine? normally, idonīt care what it looks in MED and it comes out well in the engine
Posted By: ulillillia

Re: MED's palette - 04/12/06 13:28

Are you using 6.31? If so, MED's skin edittor uses an 8-bit palette of which the colors for it are poorly assigned. If you are using 6.4 (caution: public beta), this isn't a problem. To be sure on it, put your test model in WED, build to update entities and preview it that way.
Posted By: Tozzy

Re: MED's palette - 04/12/06 13:44

Yea don't worry about this because it won't affect how it looks in the engine. This is just how MEDs skin editor displays the skin.

Hey Uli, or anyone else: How come some skins get imported as 24 bit and not 16 bit? How do I do this?

Thanks Uli

Re: MED's palette - 04/12/06 13:48

BMP and PCX - 16-bit textures will be used.
TGA - 24 and 32-bit textures will be used.

Save as TGA for 24-bit textures.

Re: MED's palette - 04/12/06 15:58

Thanks for your responses

"did u try to reload the tga in the skin editor?" Yes, many times
My version of MED is 6.171. But as long as this doesn't affect how it looks in the level, I'd be fine with it.

EDIT: ok it does seem to affect how it looks in the level. So do you think I ought to save it as a 16.7 mill bitmap? I don't seem to have an image editing program that does that. Are there any free programs out there with this function?
Thanks

Re: MED's palette - 04/12/06 16:29

What version of Gamestudio do you have? 6.31? 6.20? And it's 16.8 million (16,777,216, also referred to as a 24-bit BMP or truecolor image).

Can't you open the BMP file and save it as a TGA? You don't need to make any changes or add an alpha channel. If you don't have a program that saves as TGA, get GIMP. I use it constantly. I used it to make the animation in my avatar (updated just today).

Re: MED's palette - 04/12/06 17:37

Thanks for the advice. My version of WED is 6.22, and MED is 6.171.

I downloaded GIMP and saved the file as a TGA. Unfortunately, this didn't seem to make a difference. If there are no other suggestions, I may just accept it the way it is.

I know this is off topic, but it's another problem I'm having in MED. My model needs to be rotated 90 degrees. But I only discovered this after making anims. I try rotating the model itself, but this messes up the anims. I rotate the bones, and this messes up the model. I tried selecting the main bone (which connects to all others) and rotating it 90 degrees in all frames while anim mode was on, but this still messes up the model. Any ideas on how to solve this problem as well? Thanks

Re: MED's palette - 04/12/06 17:49

Update to 6.31, the latest public release. Though I don't know if this'll fix your color problem, it's worth a try. 6.40 is a public beta so it'll have bugs (beta normally means bugs), but 6.40's MED has quite a few new features to it, including support for true color in the skin edittor. Beware though, if you pass 16 groups, MED will crash. I don't get why it's taken so long to fix this bug - I reported it nearly 3 months ago....

As to the animations, I've run into this problem myself, the rotating of bones anyway. I practically haven't done any animations in MED so I otherwise lack experience. I can otherwise form nearly anything, given calculations.

Edit: The update is free. 6.40 is in the updates and announcements forum.
Posted By: JamesA

Re: MED's palette - 04/13/06 01:05

Hi there,
I get this problem too,
I tried saving it in differing formats and 32 bit etc etc.
What solved it was that the scripter who I was working with, imported the TGA into his MED and then resaved the mdl,
weird!
Im using the latest version of med and wed....

Re: MED's palette - 04/13/06 01:49

hmm, so he imported it from the skin viewer, and then saved the model, then the model looked ok in the game? I have in fact tried that, but it doesn't appear to work :S
© 2024 lite-C Forums