Lite-C vs. C-Script

Posted By: FBL

Lite-C vs. C-Script - 11/11/07 11:53

When searching through the manual there are often situations where there's either just the Lite-C version described (e.g. Views) or only the C-Script version (e.g. portal_x).

It's a mess!
Maybe it would be better to either finally get rid of the C-Script stuff officially or split the manual up into two parts.

I wonder how newcomers can work with the manual currently - it must be very depressing to get different working and non working information (depending on which script language you use) all the time.

I know, this is a lot of work, but currently the manual can be pretty confusing at times.
Posted By: flits

Re: Lite-C vs. C-Script - 11/11/07 12:04

i agree it is for me to confusing
Posted By: jermy

Re: Lite-C vs. C-Script - 11/11/07 12:23

me too
Posted By: Joozey

Re: Lite-C vs. C-Script - 11/11/07 12:27

I agree too
Posted By: Lukas

Re: Lite-C vs. C-Script - 11/11/07 12:30

Yes, sometimes it's very confusing...
Posted By: Tiles

Re: Lite-C vs. C-Script - 11/11/07 13:43

Yeah, change it to two versions. One for C Script, and one for Lite C
Posted By: Xarthor

Re: Lite-C vs. C-Script - 11/11/07 14:36

agreed
Posted By: alienheretic

Re: Lite-C vs. C-Script - 11/11/07 15:30

i also agree
Posted By: ello

Re: Lite-C vs. C-Script - 11/11/07 18:42

i dont agree in having two separate manuals, because sometimes you know how you did it with c-script and its cool if you find the lite-c version there, too. this is mostly the case but it should be everywhere, thats true
Posted By: D3D

Re: Lite-C vs. C-Script - 11/11/07 23:21

Found it very confusing too sometimes! I think if there is no more changes made to C-Script why not remove from the manual and put it another CHM. Right now the manual claims it is Lite-C syntax, but everything is mixed. Also fixing the many syntax errors, adding more examples on the new engine features would be nice.

I would not mind if C-Script and Lite-C are inside the same manual, but then it should be made clear what is what. Right now it's done with either a comment or with color green/red. Not always though..
Posted By: William

Re: Lite-C vs. C-Script - 11/13/07 12:20

I think what Ello said is right, especially for people who have been using c-script for many years and are now starting with lite-c.
Posted By: Blink

Re: Lite-C vs. C-Script - 11/14/07 11:56

i am just really starting to understand c-script, so the new manual solutions is confusing, because some of them are lite-c and i dont understand why some of my scripts dont work properly. they should be seperated. two manuals. its really not fair to the people who dont wish to go to lite-c. i am a poor man, and i dont have money to convert, and i dont think i should be forced to, after i spent my money on the version i have now.
Posted By: Xarthor

Re: Lite-C vs. C-Script - 11/17/07 14:35

Alright, so it would be good to have both in one.
I agree with that, but as it is today it is definatly not the best solution.
As there are sometimes Lite-C examples, and sometimes not.

What about making an open documentation project?
(using the wiki)

EDIT:
Ok, I started to port the manual to the wiki and added a link to it on the main page of it.
This is a direct link:
http://www.coniserver.net/wiki/index.php/Documentation

I would really appreciate any hints and any help with this.
Sure it will not replace the "real" manual, but might be a good place to write down some tricks using Lite-C and C-Script how to avoid ugly code or any comments to certain engine functions.

Thanks
Posted By: jcl

Re: Lite-C vs. C-Script - 11/19/07 14:15

Thanks for the new Wiki link. Yes, of course we'll convert all manual examples that are still C-Script eventually to lite-C. However there are several hundreds of them. A full conversion takes its time. Even though usually only a <..> must be replaced by ".." and lowercase must be replaced by uppercase, all the new examples must be tested. I suppose when A7 reaches version 7.10 or 7.20 the manual won't contain any C-Script style anymore.
Posted By: Nowherebrain

Re: Lite-C vs. C-Script - 11/19/07 23:43

Thanks, although I find it just confusing enough.
© 2024 lite-C Forums