FREE high Poly Modeller !! (great for normal maps)

Posted By: lsinteract

FREE high Poly Modeller !! (great for normal maps) - 08/04/06 21:45

Hi Everyone,
We've all heard of or use ZBrush... a tool thats intended to generate high-poly models which can then be rendered onto a low poly surface for as a normal map. This type of modeling software costs $500 minimum, at least it did until NOW! I'm proud to be able to offer everyone here free fully functional beta copies of our software, CB Model Pro a high-end, ultra easy to use organic modeler. Just register on our site to get a free liscense key and your good to go! All we ask is for pictures of anything cool you want to show in our gallery, and for your opinions in our forum. I hope this really helps the community, being an indie game developer myself, it makes me happy to finally give back.

to download please visit our site:
http://www.cbmodelpro.com

some images of work built in Model Pro:

(created / textured in roughly 4 hours)

(2 hours of work)

(1.5 hours of work)

Thanks so much for looking! I hope you all enjoy this gift!
Posted By: JetpackMonkey

Re: FREE high Poly Modeller !! (great for normal maps) - 08/05/06 00:25

Wow, you made this? Amazing-- what a great gift to the community! Thanks!]
Oh man I just came across the Cosmic Blobs website-- this is also you creation? Man oh man that looks like a great tool, if CB Modeller is similar, whoopie! I love intuitive modellers which encourage playful creativity. I'm so into this.

PS when i try to register for my beta, it keeps returning me to the registration page without a confirmation.
Posted By: Inestical

Re: FREE high Poly Modeller !! (great for normal m - 08/05/06 08:30

same to me is there somewhere in the database the reg keys?

EDIT: when you first submit it, remove everything after the "register.cfm" in the addressbar so the page will show out right
Posted By: Orange Brat

Re: FREE high Poly Modeller !! (great for normal m - 08/05/06 09:04

This is an nice contribution with great potential. I'll include it in the next Starving Developer's update. I think a customizable view to allow for wireframe only orthogonal views would be beneficial.

I exported a low poly "body" primative to OBJ and then out to MDL7. It's still a little on the poly heavy side, though. However, this was only with minimal effort put into the process.
Posted By: Freddy_dup1

Re: FREE high Poly Modeller !! (great for normal m - 08/05/06 09:43

Very cool!
Thank you!

Is there a way to change the format to mdl?
Posted By: frazzle

Re: FREE high Poly Modeller !! (great for normal m - 08/05/06 10:41

This is just amazing lsinteract !!!!
Those models look very pro and if the time indication is true, then
this program can be very helpfull in creating high quality models in a
relative short time !!!!

I'm currently reading the help files and it is all looking very promising
Nice contribution ^^

Cheers

Frazzle

Re: FREE high Poly Modeller !! (great for normal m - 08/05/06 13:36

Hi All,
You should get a Reg Key mailed to your email ? , (I hope :-)) if not, please contact us on our website with the email you'd like it sent to, and we will get one out to you. Thanks for all the great comments already, we'll take them and hopefully incorporate it into future releases! Cosmic Blobs is infact the first piece of software my team built, which teaches kids about 3D modelling, We have since used this very powerful technology to create the model pro tool that you see here. We're so excited to see what the indie developers will do with it! Thanks for checking it out!

Re: FREE high Poly Modeller !! (great for normal m - 08/05/06 13:42

Sorry, I just caught the question "can this be changed to .MDL" my answer is, yes it can, but you first need to export a .OBJ from the tool, then bring it into another 3d tool to save out as a .MDL it can definitly be done! I wouldn't bring the high-res (HI) models into 3DGS though, because those are really meant for normal mapping onto low poly walls, creatures etc. but (MED) or (LO) model settings would probably work just fine!

Posted By: Freddy_dup1

Re: FREE high Poly Modeller !! (great for normal m - 08/05/06 14:50

Thank you

I used Blender to open the ".obj" file then saved it as ".x" .
Then I imported the ".x" file in med.
In the CB Model folder there was even the skin!
I just had to import it in med the mapping grid was still
there and it fits.
So you can get model and skin.

"LO" and "MED" worked fine in med
In 3dgs only "LO" worked. "MED" got to many vertics.

But the ".x" file of the "HI" was to big for med.

I only did a small test but I will spend a lot more time with
that wonderful program in the next days.
Posted By: Towelie

Re: FREE high Poly Modeller !! (great for normal m - 08/05/06 15:08

Pretty nice. I dled it and got a reg key just fine and everyhting. However, Mcafee said soemthign called 'pythonw.exe' was attempting to connect to the internet. It said it was found in the CBModelerPro folder, and It didnt look liek part of the program to me. Can you tell me what this is?

I'm paranoid about viruses. I lost a $200 hard drive to one, thing completely trashed.

Re: FREE high Poly Modeller !! (great for normal m - 08/05/06 16:58

WIll this beta version, when regged, ever expire such that we must buy it to continue its use? Or can we keep it? (goody goody goody)

Re: FREE high Poly Modeller !! (great for normal m - 08/05/06 18:46

about the gallery thing, I'll get you something soon.
Posted By: broozar

Re: FREE high Poly Modeller !! (great for normal m - 08/05/06 18:57

pretty nice, but without an import function it's quite useless for me.

[edit] uh, found it, it was pretty well hid. i am getting a "out of bounds" error message when i try to import an obj file...

Re: FREE high Poly Modeller !! (great for normal m - 08/06/06 04:33

Hi Again,
Just answering a few more questions from everyone :-)

First off, don't be worried about it being a virus, we used Python (a scripting language) to code alot of Model Pro and we actually heard from someone who said this came up with McAfree before, but it's just something to do with the virus software not liking python.

Secondly, you can import .OBJ files into Model Pro! (joy) you just drop them into the directory: My Documents\My CB Models\Subdivision Import
the only downside is these models must be very low poly...( please open the examples in that directory in your other model program and then look at the result when loaded into Model Pro to see what I mean )

and lastly the best news!! CB Model Pro is free!!! once you register keep your key, because it's yours forever! no fees involved! Just create awesome stuff!

Hope this helps answer some more questions. thanks everyone.

Re: FREE high Poly Modeller !! (great for normal m - 08/06/06 08:31

Isinteract: can you send my key, since I got it from the site direct and didn't write it up anywhere. pwetty pwetty please

Quote:

CB Model Pro is free!!!

That's great! hhow much it'd cost if we wouldn't have the beta?

Re: FREE high Poly Modeller !! (great for normal m - 08/06/06 19:20

Quote:

the only downside is these models must be very low poly...( please open the examples in that directory in your other model program and then look at the result when loaded into Model Pro to see what I mean )

did and saw what you mean. nevertheless, can you give a vert limit?

Re: FREE high Poly Modeller !! (great for normal m - 08/06/06 20:07

>CB Model Pro is free!!!

Joy!
Posted By: Machinery_Frank

Re: FREE high Poly Modeller !! (great for normal m - 08/07/06 07:04

Very promising. I could learn very fast alot of the tools. But I still do not know how to model with it. I would love to see a little tutorial for organic modelling.

Re: FREE high Poly Modeller !! (great for normal m - 08/07/06 13:48

Hi again!
for (Inestical ): Just register your email again on our site, and it will send you a Key! no worries :-)

as far as poly limit, I wouldn't say it's verts you need worry about it's faces... so here's the deal, if it's something you also want to paint in our system then I would keep it around 30 poly's. If you don't want to paint and just want to model, I would keep it around 100 poly's max...This is because of the way we build a texture map when we export a model you've imported.. Usually you model the high-res stuff in pieces anyway, then you import into something like 3DS Max, or Maya etc. and include all the pieces in your "render to texture" map of the low poly surface, then all you'll need to worry about is just cleaning up some seams in photoshop, if you have any. Here's a really great tutorial on this using Max:
http://poopinmymouth.com/tutorial/normal_workflow.htm

As far as modeling in our engine goes, I will build a video tutorial soon, so everyone can get a grasp on the organic modelling idea. For the meantime I'll say it's almost exactly like working with a ball of clay, you push and pull and use the sliders at the bottom to control your range of affect on the surface. I usually start in "Med" or medium-res, and do most of the shaping there since it's the fastest, then I click over to "Hi" or High-res, and model all my details (veins, scars etc..). anyway, I hope this helps in the meantime. We will get a tutorial up soon.

:-) - Jim
Posted By: Mondivirtuali

Re: FREE high Poly Modeller !! (great for normal m - 08/08/06 16:05

I tried to register but after sending the form , I get an error page.

Re: FREE high Poly Modeller !! (great for normal m - 08/09/06 06:46

I get an error page as well and no email afterwards.
Posted By: ventilator

Re: FREE high Poly Modeller !! (great for normal m - 08/09/06 07:04

sounds like a nice program! how many polygons can it handle on an average pc?

blender also has multi level sculpting in recent development builds and on my pc (a2500+, 1gb, gf6600) i can go up to about 500.000 polys before it starts to get too slow (looks like i run out of ram then). not really zbrush levels but nevertheless it's very useful already for creating normal maps.
Posted By: beegee

Re: FREE high Poly Modeller !! (great for normal m - 08/09/06 17:40

Quote:

I get an error page as well and no email afterwards.

To me, it works fine!

mfg beegee
Posted By: TheExpert

Re: FREE high Poly Modeller !! (great for normal m - 08/10/06 07:24

OK i've tested it !

i have played a lot with Zbrush in the past : here is my opinion :

your tool have a eye candy interface, but buttons should have symbols.

-where are the essential simple tool to push pull areas in the model ?
here is a slider to adjust it's size ?
this is the main tool of Zbrush when you scultp like with terrain tools !

-have it a smooth funtcion to resmooth your model once you have
sculpted it a little ?

-where is a symetry button to sculpt in simetry ?

etc ... etc ...

your tool is not good for me at all ; and far far away beyond Zbrush 1 !

Don't take it bad , that's just my opinion after playing with it,aftr 5 min i was very disappoiinted and didn't found expected tools like Zbrush.

when i took Zbrush , in 2 min i was already sculpting like i wanted.

Perhaps within one year you'll have time to enhance and complete the tool ?
eye candy interface don't make the tool
(see 3DSMAX : not eye candy interface and incredible powerfull tool)

Good luck !
Posted By: Orange Brat

Re: FREE high Poly Modeller !! (great for normal m - 08/10/06 09:06

Quote:

-where is a symetry button to sculpt in simetry ?

The big button that says "MIRROR."

Quote:

-where are the essential simple tool to push pull areas in the model ?

The big cone/sphere icon that pops up when you click anywhere on the model. The direction the cone is pointing is your normal.

Quote:

where is a slider to adjust it's size ?

Centered at the bottom and clearly labeled "depth slider" and "influence radius slider."

Once again, read everything before offering C&C. There's a manual, but you don't need one given it's all there in a pretty eye candy UI.

Re: FREE high Poly Modeller !! (great for normal m - 08/10/06 10:32

Ok i misunderstood how the tool wroks.
i've not read the docs, buttons are not as intuitive as icons like in Zbrush.
I'll give another try at it

Re: FREE high Poly Modeller !! (great for normal m - 08/10/06 16:20

Hey! Sorry guys, we had a registration error the other day, but it's fixed now! just re-enter your info and the page will generate you a Key! Again sorry about that... on a side note, I've been working on this character for about a week, I've been building a texturing him in chunks, to keep my machine from trying to hurt me
but here he is, I'm building the entire thing textures and everything in CB Model Pro:

You Guys Rock! Thanks for all the support!
Posted By: cartoon_baboon

Re: FREE high Poly Modeller !! (great for normal m - 08/10/06 16:27

That looks pretty darn cool!!!

Re: FREE high Poly Modeller !! (great for normal m - 08/10/06 18:37

wow - fantastic. Could you please record such a session and create a video tutorial? I am really interested in seeing how you guys work with this tool.

Regards,
Frank

Re: FREE high Poly Modeller !! (great for normal m - 08/10/06 18:40

freak
yeah, a vid about how you textured it would be gr8
Posted By: Stansmedia

Re: FREE high Poly Modeller !! (great for normal m - 08/10/06 19:00

I cant figure out how to "paint" model. Like drawing on the mesh, like zbrush. A video would be excellent right now.

Re: FREE high Poly Modeller !! (great for normal m - 08/10/06 20:34

Hey everyone,
I will put together a video for next week, in the meantime, I'll say that this is not really like Zbrush, with this technology, you push and pull on the surface via the ball and cone tool that appear when you click on the surface after clicking a tool button(ex. point pull). As a visual person, I can understand the confusion
... don't worry, it will all become clear when I finish up a video. thanks for all the positive comments!

Re: FREE high Poly Modeller !! (great for normal m - 08/14/06 18:22

Hi all,
I am working on the tutorial, I also wanted to Note that I finished my warrior in Cb Model Pro... he's done and ready for viewing on pg. 3 of this post!thanks alot, I will update with the tutorial movie as soon as it's ready!
thanks so much.
Posted By: ello

Re: FREE high Poly Modeller !! (great for normal m - 08/15/06 10:08

wow, you are crazy!! its just too good to be true?!?
Posted By: Samb

Re: FREE high Poly Modeller !! (great for normal m - 08/29/06 00:34

meep... the registration page doesn't work anymore.. i'm too late, right?
Posted By: bredebrothers

Re: FREE high Poly Modeller !! (great for normal m - 08/30/06 13:53

Hmm...we registered a few time ago but we still got no password or even any reply

Re: FREE high Poly Modeller !! (great for normal m - 08/31/06 01:50

Hi everyone,
I would like to apologize first that the registration key system got messed up. We actually tried to fix it this week and fried our servers. While there being rebuilt I will happily send anyone a key that drops me a PM. I'm also working on a tutorial video that I will put up next week. I'm on vacation till tuesday, but after that I will send them out to all of you.
Thank you for all your patience....

Re: FREE high Poly Modeller !! (great for normal m - 08/31/06 22:17

Hey great news!
I've got a serial key from a co-worker!!! Please PM me for it!!!
Thanks for your support :-) and be sure to spread the word!
Posted By: bredebrothers

Re: FREE high Poly Modeller !! (great for normal m - 09/01/06 12:00

Thanks for your service!
Now we can go on playing round with it, canīt wait for your tutorial
Posted By: FeiHongJr

Re: FREE high Poly Modeller !! (great for normal m - 09/01/06 12:17

Looks very interesting. Blender has a simillar tool... Bbrush I think its called. Tho Ive never really figured it out so hopefully Ill be able to figure this one out So deffinately will be looking forward to the key and tutorial Thanks alot.

Re: FREE high Poly Modeller !! (great for normal m - 09/07/06 06:05

UPDATE!!!!Our website registration is back up!!!! HOORAY!!!! this means you can get a keycode sent to your email from our site.... that's all for now, the tutorial is still in the works I promise.

Posted By: Efrint

Re: FREE high Poly Modeller !! (great for normal m - 09/08/06 06:35

Hi,

at first I have to say: This tool looks really good.

Will it be free after the beta period?

Re: FREE high Poly Modeller !! (great for normal m - 09/08/06 17:08

Hi!
It will be Free for quite some time! If it does go to market, I think it will be extremely affordable! Thank you for your nice comment, we do our best...
- Jim
Posted By: Trooper119

Re: FREE high Poly Modeller !! (great for normal m - 09/08/06 19:40

You probably know of this already but the transitions between low, medium, and high rez don't always go back to their origional positions if you cycle through them, that means if you don't undo you can perminantly deform your model by just going to low rez and pushing it back up to high rez.

Also another thing I noticed is that I couldn't find any sort of merge tool. But you might already have one, I'm not sure.

On the other foot, I love the modeler so far, it is very easy to pick up and go. Very user friendly excelent job.

Re: FREE high Poly Modeller !! (great for normal m - 09/08/06 22:57

Hi!
Yes, the idea is that no matter what the resolution, your always affecting the mesh! A great feature when you want to do tons of details and don't want to bog down the system in High-Res. of course this is also dependent on your computer specs, but it's nice. To answer your other question, we did have a merge tool along time ago, but the results could be very ugly considering the is is a very tough algorithm to get right. Lastly, thank you! for supporting us!
- Jim

Re: FREE high Poly Modeller !! (great for normal m - 09/09/06 18:56

In fact you don't need support :

If you can make a solid tool ,that do some things like ZBRush ,
fix bugs , give improvments by new versions , for a affordable price like inDie Tools not comparable to ZBrush price , then
you can be sure people will buy it !
And your tool will becom as popular as Unwrap3D.
Posted By: Why_Do_I_Die

Re: FREE high Poly Modeller !! (great for normal m - 09/11/06 01:34

This is a really awesome contribution , thnx .

Re: FREE high Poly Modeller !! (great for normal m - 09/11/06 09:04

I forgot : you'll have a very big concurrent that will allow mesh sculpting in the next version : BLENDER

and Blender is free

you'll have to give more options or things to really make people buy your tool.

Re: FREE high Poly Modeller !! (great for normal m - 09/16/06 09:22

TheExpert , your the lamest hermi on this boards , should be thanking the guy for giving everyone here a free copy of their program , instead of just writing negative nonsense , since ur first post where u were just attacking the program and was then pointed out by another board member everything u were sujjesting the program should have it already did , and in plain sight, caught u with ur foot in ur mouth , and u backpedalled like a tranny saying u didnt read the docs. I always see you here giving negative feednback on everything , yet all your work i've seem posted is garbage , so why dont you focus your attention on making some decent stuff with gamestudio instead of looking for negative things to say about other's projects.

Re: FREE high Poly Modeller !! (great for normal m - 09/16/06 09:23

btw , blender IS free , but it's also a piece of crap.
Posted By: FeiHongJr

Re: FREE high Poly Modeller !! (great for normal m - 09/16/06 09:31

Quote:

btw , blender IS free , but it's also a piece of crap.

Please do not insult the tools. Ive seen tons of great models be created using blender. I personally use it as well. If you dislike it thats fine but insulting the software will get you no where.

Back on topic here.

Ive used the tool shortly however Im still kind of lost. I dont think I ever got my own model imported? Sorry its been awhile since I used it.

Ill have to check back at your website and see if I can find some info there... If I remember right you mentioned a tutorial. Did you ever manage to finish them. Sorry if youve allready answered this question...

Re: FREE high Poly Modeller !! (great for normal m - 09/19/06 16:01

Hi everyone,
Sorry I haven't got around to building the Tutorial yet, I have been insanely busy on UI ideas for SolidWorks 2008... I'd like to take a moment to ask that you guys not be at each others throats :-) If you don't like Blender or CB Model Pro than that's fine, it's free and the software is out there so that you can form opinions if you wish to. But we do hope that when things are said it's constructive, after all we build tools for you, not for ourselves, anyway, I'm just happy that we were able to release it to all of you. As always thanks for your support!
- Jim
© 2024 lite-C Forums