Disenfranchised player model(s) and beyond...

Posted By: Orange Brat

Disenfranchised player model(s) and beyond... - 02/16/07 17:42

These screens were captured from MED, and the polycount is 2,326. The mesh and skin are courtesy of Dan Silverman. I've asked him to tweak the skin a bit by adding some specific details to the two coats, so it will change a bit from what is pictured here. Comments are welcomed. As long as he's willing, I will continue to use Dan for all of my future character and vehicle modeling needs. It will assure consistency, plus I like his work.

As for the face...eyes will be independent entities controlled with the same code that turns the player's head to look at specifically flagged objects. The mouth will be hand animated in the classical way. I'm not a fan of 3D mouth movement. The lower jaw will be moved to synch with the speech.

I'm currently rigging him in fragMotion and will animate from there using mocap files from Truebones. I can get over 1000 motions for $99, and there are plenty to choose from for both interactive and non-interactive movement. Get some sample motion files here.

Truebones skeleton hierarchy:

Next up will be the femme fatale character, and I'll update this thread from time to time with new characters.
Posted By: PHeMoX

Re: Disenfranchised player model(s) and beyond... - 02/16/07 22:52

Just a question, but wouldn't it be suitable to give the character a less anonimous face? At the moment it's really very empty, as if it's a zombie. In Film Noirs facial expressions play a big role don't you think?

As for the character itself it looks very good, can you post a screenshot with the character in your levels?

Edit: oops sorry, I have to read better.

Cheers

Re: Disenfranchised player model(s) and beyond... - 02/16/07 23:20

The features/personality (eyes, eyebrows, mouth) will be added later as described in the first post. The skin tone is pale, but that's a style/design decision (toon but not too much so). The overall plan is to inject life into the eyes..something that is missing from 99.999% of games.

As for Noir and facial expressions...most of the time the characters are very stoic and self-centered. The characters in this game...esp this guy are very stoic and emotionless. If you've ever seen The Man Who Wasn't There...think of the way Billy Bob Thorton delivers his lines/monologues, and you'll have some idea.
Posted By: NITRO777

Re: Disenfranchised player model(s) and beyond... - 02/16/07 23:58

Very Good. The model looks great and your using Dan Silverman is a good idea. Also, Thanks for the links.(Too bad these animations wont fit a Maya Character.)

Looking forward to seeing more updates.

Re: Disenfranchised player model(s) and beyond... - 02/19/07 02:43

The process of rigging is easy. The art of rigging is hard. In other words, my skills as an artist are dubious; thus I'm looking for a helping hand:

http://www.coniserver.net/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/730053/Main/715133/#Post730053
Posted By: sPlKe

Re: Disenfranchised player model(s) and beyond... - 02/19/07 03:56

reminds me of batman TAS

Re: Disenfranchised player model(s) and beyond... - 02/19/07 15:39

Quote:

can you post a screenshot with the character in your levels?

Posted By: bstudio

Re: Disenfranchised player model(s) and beyond... - 02/19/07 15:44

always liked your black and white idea
Posted By: frazzle

Re: Disenfranchised player model(s) and beyond... - 02/19/07 16:23

Nice black-white effect OB
I'm really curious to see this project finished some day, well actually I hope it's in the nearby future For me it already looks like the game with the most pro look besides other games such as David's game and Buiy Buiy Rocket game form Nadestar. But I havn't played yours so it still could gain those other two

Cheers

Frazzle
Posted By: PHeMoX

Re: Disenfranchised player model(s) and beyond... - 02/19/07 18:08

Looking good. Good fps too for the 1600x.. resolution,

Cheers

Re: Disenfranchised player model(s) and beyond... - 02/19/07 18:17

It's running on a 7600 GS, but it was 60 on my 5200 FX, too. It's stuck at 60, though because of the XP bug, however it drops if you try to choke it.

The main issue plaguing me right now is getting the model animation right. The first test from the person that will probably be rigging for me were promising but early and full of interesting mesh deformities. I'll receive a better version tomorrow, so I hope in the end it works out.

Getting this part of it right pretty much is what this game's fate hinges on. If it ends up not being right, then I'm packing it up and moving this to an all 2D game using another engine.

I don't want to do that given the amount of years I've put into this version, but I'll know if I'm licked if the time comes. That would be ashame, too given I've developed a pretty unique looking style, and I really really like the way this model looks in the screenshot above. I have self-shadowing turned on which gives me that nice shadow across the face. Too bad it looks like complete garbage on the rest of the body when in motion thanks to mosquito noise.
Posted By: Error014

Re: Disenfranchised player model(s) and beyond... - 02/19/07 20:06

Did I tell you already how much I like your project? I like that its more of a "serious" kind of game, and its all adventury (A word that I just invented).

Making it in black and white feels fresh and gives the whole game that "Film noir"-theme (and it does look pretty much like you're after that kind of style?). If you give the game a strong story, then this is going to be a winner, can't wait to see the character you have there develop

I'm doing a similar project right now, so I know that it's full of interesting problems here and there - Inventory (although thats not so hard if you manage to do it right ), dialogs, etc. Let me know if I can provide a little help

It reminds me a little of Grim Fandango and Hotel Dusk, which is a great thing Keep it up, can't wait to see more progress

I hope you find someone to animate the model, as it would be a shame to see this project end (... or end up on another engine, although thats still better than to never see this project). Did you already make tests with the facial animation? (Because, believe it or not, in my project I am also seperating face and model - I once wrote code for a similar behaviour as in Wind Waker, which I could simply use then. I think I am talking too much about my project )

(I love the selfshadowing )

Re: Disenfranchised player model(s) and beyond... - 02/19/07 20:22

I haven't done any of the face stuff, yet but it shouldn't be too hard given I know what I want.

Quote:

I hope you find someone to animate the model,

I actually have had two people inquire about the rigging. I've had dealing with one of them before and I know they can animate well. I've given them the option of hand animating if they would prefer to do this instead of dealing with mocap. I knew this would be the make or break feature and I probably wish now I'd done it long ago.

Quote:

If you give the game a strong story, then this is going to be a winner,

I'd like to think I have a strong story or at least something that has never been done in a game before. Most game plots are the same or you can find examples somewhere of it being done before or they're just flat out derivative. Mine is a bit different (more or less), and that's he beauty of the adventure genre. It's also why it ultimately doesn't matter whether it ends up a realtime 3D game or a 2D one. The story is what matters, and it's the same no matter what it looks like.

Quote:

Let me know if I can provide a little help

I'll keep you in mind. You've helped me quite a bit already on several occasions. Every little bit helps.

Quote:

I think I am talking too much about my project

I have this habit, too. Can't you tell?

Quote:

Hotel Dusk

I'm almost contemplating buying a Nintendo DS to play this. I love the unique animation style. It's limited and raw. Might get the Phoenix Wright games, too.
Posted By: Pappenheimer

Re: Disenfranchised player model(s) and beyond... - 02/19/07 20:39

The environment with the character in it, this looks so marvelous!
Posted By: achaziel

Re: Disenfranchised player model(s) and beyond... - 02/19/07 20:41

hehe this whole black/white stuff looks cool. can't wait to see a demo or a trailer or somethin
Posted By: Andvari

Re: Disenfranchised player model(s) and beyond... - 02/19/07 21:23

Great work! the character looks amazing on that environment, love the cartoony B/W look
Posted By: mpdeveloper_B

Re: Disenfranchised player model(s) and beyond... - 02/20/07 17:39

nice OB, it has a great style to it, i miss the adventure genre, i'd definitely play it because 1. it's an adventure game, 2. it looks like it will be great

Re: Disenfranchised player model(s) and beyond... - 02/21/07 13:36

Thanks for the comments, and a special thanks to Andvari for helping out with rigging and animation duties. I'm lucky to have these two talented individuals work on the characters, and IMHO, you're the two best modelers around here.
Posted By: Captain_Kiyaku

Re: Disenfranchised player model(s) and beyond... - 02/21/07 14:15

lol i first read "supernintendo" on the sign @_@

Nice shots though, i love the style and a good adventure with 3dgs would be awesome.
Posted By: Uhrwerk

Re: Disenfranchised player model(s) and beyond... - 02/25/07 01:16

You're not the only one who read that at first. Actually your post made me look a second time... *lol* Nice work OrangeBrat. I'd love to see that in motion.
Posted By: Lennart_hillen

Re: Disenfranchised player model(s) and beyond... - 02/25/07 12:12

Actually ur the first one who read that
the sign says superintend
Posted By: Captain_Kiyaku

Re: Disenfranchised player model(s) and beyond... - 02/25/07 12:14

i know i know, but on the first time i read supernintendo then i had to re-read to find out it says superintend
Posted By: Andvari

Re: Disenfranchised player model(s) and beyond... - 02/25/07 18:02

Quote:

i know i know, but on the first time i read supernintendo then i had to re-read to find out it says superintend

+1
Posted By: checkbutton

Re: Disenfranchised player model(s) and beyond... - 02/26/07 13:44

Quote:

lol i first read "supernintendo" on the sign @_@

Wasn't that a joke in The Simpsons, when Ralph Wiggum said "Supernintendo Chalmers" instead of Superintendant Chalmers?

Re: Disenfranchised player model(s) and beyond... - 03/31/07 13:41

Here's the next two. The bottom one has a hat, but it isn't shown.

© 2024 lite-C Forums