Knight models WIP

Posted By: cartoon_baboon

Knight models WIP - 03/06/07 15:18

Hi,

I am curently working on making a variety of Medieval models (knights, bandits, peasants, weapons) which, when finished, will be made available for sale on my hopefully soon to be finished website.

Here are some shots of the knight model WIP. Plan is to have three versions of the model: one with helmet, one with chainmail cap, and one without any head covering. Eventually they'll all have a selection of skins and a nice amount of animations (the standard like running, jumping etc. and a large amount of combat animations).

Anyhow here are the shots displaying two different versions with two different skins, note the fact that the skinning is far from finished (and I'll most likely redo all the fabric and the gloves and the belt... )

Let me know what you think (and how it can be improved) and if, when finished, you'd be interested in buying this model (the three versions with a selection of skins) or the model pack when finished.
Posted By: PHeMoX

Re: Knight models WIP - 03/06/07 17:24

Looking good! I like the skins and the mesh seems good too. The white knight's skin seems kinda pale though and perhaps the skin needs some dirt and evidence of wear?
What's the polycount by the way? Good luck,

Cheers

Re: Knight models WIP - 03/06/07 18:21

At the moment the polycount is 1800 tris for the helmeted version and 1900 for the chainmail capped version - though I will be doing some more optimizing
Posted By: Inari

Re: Knight models WIP - 03/06/07 18:32

cool models
Posted By: EX Citer

Re: Knight models WIP - 03/06/07 19:29

GOod, models. I think the guy with the bucket on his head... the bucket... well, compared to his suit his helmet has too less contrast. You need a darker grey up there I think.

The boots look pretty bright and contrast cheap too.

And you can see on the velvet like clothes where the texture is mirrored because of the folds in the center have a "top" (not realy round).

Anyway, good work!
Posted By: frazzle

Re: Knight models WIP - 03/06/07 19:51

If all of your models look like this when they are released, I think you will make some profit out of them
Great work so far cartoon_baboon, I especially like the armor they are wearing !!

Cheers

Frazzle
Posted By: aztec

Re: Knight models WIP - 03/06/07 19:53

I can just agree I like them
not too detailed but they look good to me
Regards
Aztec
Posted By: demiGod

Re: Knight models WIP - 03/06/07 21:31

I agree too, its looking very good, its a fact that the skin can be improved but like you said its not finished yet, so keep it the good work !
Posted By: Towelie

Re: Knight models WIP - 03/06/07 23:54

Looks good, but the helmet doesn't look right, IMO. It looks like his head is somehow detached... Its hard to explain. It just doesn't look right.
Posted By: sPlKe

Re: Knight models WIP - 03/07/07 20:11

wow you digitalized FIROBALL!

i liek it. maybe you ask him for a pic and to make a skin out of him?

looking good btw^^
Posted By: Ghost

Re: Knight models WIP - 03/07/07 22:34

Nice work,

but please consider offering higher poly versions too. If you are going to sell models you need to be thinking a year or two ahead. Polycounts of more like 5000 polys per character, plus normal and specular maps is going to be the standard for games coming out in 2008 and beyond.

Re: Knight models WIP - 03/07/07 23:05

Thanks everybody for the comments and words of encouragement. I'll definitely be looking into the points mentioned by you guys.

@Spike: Hehehe^^

@Ghost: You do have good point ofcourse about polycount, but that is something that requires not to0 much extra work (my problem is that I love the previous generation too much - blocky characters are really cool^^). I'd definitely like to look into the normal and specular map thing (though not a programmer by nature I'd appreciate it if someone could furnish me with a nice set of project files where all I've gotta do is add the model and aply an action to it and press build and run to see if the normal and specular maps are looking good)

Hopefully I can get on with the models at the end of the week so I can try and implement some of the comments and continue on with the third version of the knight.

Re: Knight models WIP - 03/17/07 20:06

Well, I didn't get on with the models at the end of the week like I said I would...but I did get my site finished instead! Have just resumed work and here is the untextured head of the knight:

He will be sporting a short beard and a shirt so you can't get the full effect just yet.

Re: Knight models WIP - 03/23/07 00:36

Hi there,
Started texturing the knight's head. Hair still needs doing, and the eyes and the beard - but tell me what you think of it so far.

Posted By: bstudio

Re: Knight models WIP - 03/23/07 07:37

skin texture definatly looks nice, though it lacks a certain realism (he look quite old like this) if he where to be an older man the skinning job would be great. But a knight is supposed to be a little bit younger i think

Re: Knight models WIP - 03/23/07 12:32

I was going for the well worn, seasoned fighter look - but I'll also go for a younger version I think.
Posted By: Germanunkol

Re: Knight models WIP - 03/23/07 13:01

I like the neck especially. muscular, looks good!
keep it up!
Posted By: Machinery_Frank

Re: Knight models WIP - 03/23/07 22:02

The texture ist fine.

The biggest problems are the eyes. Eyes are not that bright white. They have some slight orange in it and they tend to get darker at the left and right corners. Besides that the eye gets a shadow at the top and therefore must be darker beyond the upper eye-lid / eye-brow.
Posted By: FBL

Re: Knight models WIP - 03/24/07 12:55

The face is fine, but you should rework the lower part. Chainmail and Gambeson are missing. Take a look at the shoulders. Looks very uncomfortable.

Re: Knight models WIP - 03/25/07 07:21

Quote:

The face is fine, but you should rework the lower part. Chainmail and Gambeson are missing. Take a look at the shoulders. Looks very uncomfortable.

Hehehe Firoball, you WOULD know, wouldn't you? Well I will definitely still be adding a bit of the Gambeson sticking out from underneath.

Also, the eyes were only temporary - cut them out of a photo of Christopher Lambert^^, have reworked them, shadow and all.

Re: Knight models WIP - 03/31/07 12:50

I have been a little preoccupied with an exam week but I managed to rig the model today. Skin still needs doing though... anyhow, here is a little picture of the (still beardless) knight in action:

Re: Knight models WIP - 03/31/07 17:53

Nice shot !!
The atmosphere really fits the model, the texture looks good but that's jugded from a certain distance offcourse

Cheers

Frazzle
Posted By: aztec

Re: Knight models WIP - 03/31/07 18:17

frazzle I thin the word is certain
but back to the topic it looks really great
the atmosphere really fits its a cool dark

Re: Knight models WIP - 03/31/07 18:53

Quote:

frazzle I thin the word is certain

Mistakes are humain

Cheers

Frazzle
Posted By: FBL

Re: Knight models WIP - 03/31/07 21:04

Are there powerlines in the background?

Re: Knight models WIP - 03/31/07 21:06

Quote:

Are there powerlines in the background?

hehehe. It was a quick setup - just typed the word sky into Google. But I can photoshop it out, no worries ^^
Posted By: xXxGuitar511

Re: Knight models WIP - 03/31/07 22:22

It's very excellent, no doubt.

But it's too clean for me. If I were to have a medeval game, things would be all dirty and f***ed up... lol.
© 2024 lite-C Forums