Maia Sem Limites - Multiplayer Racing Game

Posted By: JoaoR

Maia Sem Limites - Multiplayer Racing Game - 05/10/07 18:59

Hi guys!

Im developing a racing game as my final college thesis. Im making an arcade game based in a real urban environment, its a multilayer game to be played over a lan and "maybe" over the internet too. Lets see...

Im not an experienced 3DGS user, but ive already got some good info here on the forum and im doing the c-script workshops.. And i hope you can help me a bit too...

Im using 3DGS 6.50 Pro.

I think ive already talked too much for now....

Here are some pics of my first model:

im working on the texture right now, but im mainly interested in the script at this moment...

Im with some problems to decide what physic engine i should use, newton or 3DGS physic engine (ODE)...

ty
Posted By: Germanunkol

Re: Maia Sem Limites - Multiplayer Racing Game - 05/10/07 19:02

wow, looks very nice to me.
Granted, I'm not a modeler, but it does look like it's good. Depending on how many cars you'll have, 4034 tris should be fine...
and I think it looks great!seems to be a nice job on the skinning as well!
Posted By: Endgegner

Re: Maia Sem Limites - Multiplayer Racing Game - 05/10/07 20:36

Wow, looks great. You nailed the proportions perfectly, the headlights look nice (from a photo, I guess?)... Looking forward to the game and watching it develop .
Posted By: JibbSmart

Re: Maia Sem Limites - Multiplayer Racing Game - 05/10/07 21:32

great modeling mate!

no criticisms... i'm making a car game at the moment for school (i'm starting to see quite a few car projects around here) and i'm programming my own physics. i chose this just because i know exactly how the whole thing works, because otherwise i'd be worried about unexpected behaviour.

keep it up

julz
Posted By: Carloos

Re: Maia Sem Limites - Multiplayer Racing Game - 05/11/07 00:04

Real nice modelling, just loved the Mini model, very very realistic.

Congrats for this nice art work, hope to see your game in shape as soon as possible.
Posted By: Pedro_Amorim

Re: Maia Sem Limites - Multiplayer Racing Game - 05/11/07 00:57

YOYOYO buddy.
nice work so far. lets hope we can both do our games or else we are screwed. lol

Posted By: Helghast

Re: Maia Sem Limites - Multiplayer Racing Game - 05/11/07 06:28

contact me via msn messenger, i got something you'll like (ie, a A6 physics engine based car code).

nice model btw
maybe we can work out some kind of deal

regards,
Posted By: frazzle

Re: Maia Sem Limites - Multiplayer Racing Game - 05/11/07 18:04

Nice and professional look, great modeling !!
Btw, I can't believe this is your first model and if it is, then I must say you're quite skilled

Cheers

Frazzle

Re: Maia Sem Limites - Multiplayer Racing Game - 05/11/07 20:20

ty all for the comments.

it ll be possible to have 4 players at the same time, so for now I assume we can have 4 vehicles in the level at the same time, i don't know if I ll include some traffic..

Right now im testing physic engines, ive already tried newton and it seems a really good engine, with nice features, but its an old plugin with some issues.
Since i have the pro edition, maybe the best for me and to have a good support here is working with the 3DGS physic engine (ODE). I think ll try the car project template just to have an idea of what can i achieve with ODE.

@Endgegner
the best way to create realistic textures in almost all kinda of models is using photos as references to texture it...

@dennis_fantasy
ty for your help, I ll contact u soon to check what u have for me..

@frazzle
I watched some tutorials to know how the best techniques to model cars, and i tried a bit in a previous model first, but i haven't finished it.

and ty Carloos for your help!

Re: Maia Sem Limites - Multiplayer Racing Game - 09/24/07 16:02

well, im still working on this project, i havent updated this topic since im working more in the art of the game than in the code. I ll not make it multiplayer for now, i just want to finish the level and im developing a time attack mode just to be "a game", since i have to finish this project for my university.

Here are some fresh SS and some videos in the bottom:

Mini textured - front

Mini back

WIP level ss - still missing trees, lights, and so on... (ingame ss)

Level is like 20k tris and 90 textures right now, i think ill finish with 110/115 texture... :S
The entire level is based in an urban circuit, so im trying to make it looks like the real.

Here are some old videos:
http://hawkins.ptservers.org/stuff/files/msl-teste5.avi
http://hawkins.ptservers.org/stuff/files/msl-teste.avi

Im developing the time attack mode right now, if u can give me some help, it ll be nice.
http://www.coniserver.net/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/788389/an/0/page/0#Post788389

have fun.
Posted By: Edgecrusher

Re: Maia Sem Limites - Multiplayer Racing Game - 09/24/07 20:01

Car looks great, but the buldings lack a bit of details. For instance, you could try adding more depth to the buildings by making the balconies 3D, or extrude the gates to of the garages inside.

Keep up the work

Re: Maia Sem Limites - Multiplayer Racing Game - 09/26/07 17:17

Nice to see you kept it updated
Btw, could it be you got your idea for the car design from a tutorial on 3D total for Max ??
Keep up the pace !!

Cheers

Frazzle
Posted By: Edgecrusher

Re: Maia Sem Limites - Multiplayer Racing Game - 09/27/07 14:49

What system do you use for controlling the car/camera? I'd need some tips becaus I'm working on a racing project for christmas

Re: Maia Sem Limites - Multiplayer Racing Game - 09/28/07 15:22

@edgecrusher, u are right about the buildings, i could even make it a good 3d model with windows, doors, etc modeled, but i thought about tris count in the begining and now its too much work to change everything and i dont have time time...

About the car system, im using the car project template with some modifications, since i havent got time to develop a system by myself. I implemented a new camera, and some other things. But I can tell u that is not a good system, its hard to control the car at high speed...

@frazzle, no, before the mini model i trained a bit in an audi a3, it was a video tutorial from 3d-palace.com, the video isnt about a low poly model, but u can learn a bit...

------------------------------------------------

Im trying to develop a time attack mode just to be game , coz i have to finish it in a few days. Some1 told me to place some invisible models as portals and when player gets the last one, to check if the player got all the portals and to stop the clock. But since this is my first project with with 3dgs and i havent got deep in c-script i dont know how to start... :S can some1 give some suggestions/help?

I ll post a video soon with menu interface and some other things im doing right now.

Re: Maia Sem Limites - Multiplayer Racing Game - 09/29/07 20:53

Quote:

@frazzle, no, before the mini model i trained a bit in an audi a3, it was a video tutorial from 3d-palace.com, the video isnt about a low poly model, but u can learn a bit...

That's what tutorials are maded for
Waiting curious until the next update !!

Cheers

Frazzle
Posted By: Shadow969

Re: Maia Sem Limites - Multiplayer Racing Game - 09/30/07 06:39

Wow! car looks just prefect, but level lacks shadowmapping and some small details
Posted By: Christian__A

Re: Maia Sem Limites - Multiplayer Racing Game - 02/22/08 08:22

Any news about this game?
Posted By: Thiago_7

Re: Maia Sem Limites - Multiplayer Racing Game - 03/06/08 18:08

Olá! itīs great! amazing modelling you got there.

and i just canīt believe i would find a portuguese here.

i too am making a game for my P.A.T. in my 12š ano.

good luck there! xau
© 2024 lite-C Forums