new chopper-zone clip

Posted By: Realspawn

new chopper-zone clip - 09/08/07 20:14

Here is some ingame testing of heli attacks.
Notice the great reflection on the water when heli gets close thanks to slin. Don't worrie all of fuxers models will be in for now we use the place holders.

http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=HrvqRurdnts
Posted By: ShoreVietam

Re: new chopper-zone clip - 09/08/07 21:36

Awesome scenery!
I think the rain-transition is a "bit" fast and for this nice landscape I'd put a bit more time into water-effect programming.
(maybe look for some Starwing 64 / Lylatwars videos on youtube, they have nice effects for aircrafts flying close above water or crashin into water)
Posted By: frazzle

Re: new chopper-zone clip - 09/08/07 21:42

Indeed, the environment looks amazing, the explosions looks nice too but what touched me the most was that beautifull water shader, not that I haven't seen it before but it keeps on being a great sight Keep up the good work !!

Cheers

Frazzle
Posted By: Nems

Re: new chopper-zone clip - 09/08/07 22:32

Wow that is sooo coool!
Couldnt really make out if the shoreline was animated (thats the bit Im really interested in) but everything else came across nicely for me, even the beat of the sounds.
Loved the chopper effect on the water.
Dont know if your into this or not but the prob with seeing the edge of the hmp underwater (I used to have this too) could be solved by placing a single mesh plane with the same texture under the hmp where the action was so no edges could be discerned and poly count kept down.

Re: new chopper-zone clip - 09/08/07 23:33

About the edge, We will use that solution. For now we're simply testing all coding wich Slin til now has done great.

Posted By: Slin

Re: new chopper-zone clip - 09/09/07 00:06

This night, I reworked the explosions: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ocb7n5MQTr0
what do you think?

@Nemisis: Sure, the shoreline is moving.
@ShoreVietnam: I´ll look into it

And thanks for your comments.
Posted By: lostclimate

Re: new chopper-zone clip - 09/09/07 06:00

the explosions seem to bright for the rest of the feel of the game.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: new chopper-zone clip - 09/09/07 07:39

Do you want to create most realistic explosions?
Then you have to work on it.

Make some research - maybe starting here?
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: new chopper-zone clip - 09/09/07 09:11

Wow, awesome job Realspawn! Coincidentally I recently got a mini remote-controlled helicopter: (http://www.winggamepak.com/stuff/heli.wmv) from RadioShack! It seems like an awesome game (except for the shooting each other concept), do you have any flying skill levels where you have to fly through rings or race instead? Whatever happened to the snowboard game you were making? That was pretty good!
I thought you may be interested in the code for the 3d noise in my opengl water shader (scrolling the two of the same normal map over each other but will have to be a little translated from OpenGL) in my newest demo, released 2 minutes ago:

Water Reflection

//shs2=normalmap;shs=reflectionmap;
vec2 newUV0=vec2( (gl_TexCoord[0].x*tiles - t*speed2) , (gl_TexCoord[0].y*tiles) );
float tex2=mag*texture2D( shs2, newUV0.xy ).r;
vec2 newUV1=vec2( (gl_TexCoord[0].y*tiles - t*speed2) , (1.0-gl_TexCoord[0].x*tiles) );
vec3 newUV;
float tex3;
tex3=mag*texture2D( shs2, newUV1.xy ).r;
newUV=vec3( gl_TexCoord[0].x - tex2 + tex3, gl_TexCoord[0].y, gl_TexCoord[0].z );
vec4 tex1;
gl_FragColor=texture2D( shs, newUV.xy );
Posted By: KMS

Re: new chopper-zone clip - 09/09/07 09:27

I like the water,islands and reflections!Very nice!

Re: new chopper-zone clip - 09/09/07 10:03

Thanks for the link mercuryus, it shows that the brightness is okay.
I don´t think that I´ll change much on it. It doesn´t have to look very realistic. But I´ll play around some more with dust and smoke.

Thank you WING, I´ll look into that.

Thanks for your comments
I hope to show some more soon.

Slin

Re: new chopper-zone clip - 09/09/07 17:29

I don't like those explosions that much, they simply do not look natural. =/

I like the explosions of Death Strike or Desert Front more.

Re: new chopper-zone clip - 09/09/07 18:18

i did a search for both games (google and yourtube) but nothing showed up for me to study what you mean. As for Chopper-zone the goal is to create a mix between reality and fiction / arcade / strategic. With this in mind and the new models coming soon it is exactly what i aim for. Sure i know taste is diff for every one but for my taste it will do and more will follow

Re: new chopper-zone clip - 09/09/07 19:55

Those are both Gamestudio Projects, I have videos on my hard disk, they were available for download here in showcase I some time ago.

The game is from omegattack, I uploaded the video for you.
The plane fires a missile on the rocket.
The explosion is "simple", a small (not too huge) fire effect and very important some (black) smoke.
In another video there are a few particles falling away, too, which looks quite nice, but nothing big, only small dark sprites like little metal pieces.

video (1.6 MB)

Re: new chopper-zone clip - 09/09/07 20:51

the clip shows me a white flash but not a real explosion with fire. Looks not to specteculair to me

but then again its all a matter of taste
Posted By: sPlKe

Re: new chopper-zone clip - 09/09/07 21:13

Quote:

the clip shows me a white flash but not a real explosion with fire. Looks not to specteculair to me

but then again its all a matter of taste

the explosion is BEFORE the white flash.. just a second before that

Re: new chopper-zone clip - 09/09/07 21:27

that teeny weeny bitsy fire cloud ?
like i mentioned not impressive to me

Re: new chopper-zone clip - 09/10/07 09:52

*hehehe*

Well it is your game and if you like explosion not that realistic but "bigger and better" do so and convince us of your vision!

(If it looks cool, I'll like it, for sure! )

But I'd fade the fire/ smoke trail of the burst-away particles a bit faster!

btw.
Nice logo (avatar )
Posted By: Stansmedia

Re: new chopper-zone clip - 09/10/07 18:57

just an idea for the chopper. speed up the turning speed of the propellers (or what ever you call em lol) and make them flash on and off, so they look like there goin super fast. you could also use a sprite to make a fake motion blur..

as well, the choppers movement could be a little more fluid. i really like the enviroment. good stuff

Re: new chopper-zone clip - 09/10/07 19:26

Quote:

just an idea for the chopper. speed up the turning speed of the propellers (or what ever you call em lol) and make them flash on and off, so they look like there goin super fast. you could also use a sprite to make a fake motion blur..

as well, the choppers movement could be a little more fluid. i really like the enviroment. good stuff

you dont have to flash them. if you increase the motion speed, they will flash automatically. your eyes cant follow them. it will sometimes even look as if they go backwards, wich gives it anotehr cool effect.
soem bloom woudl be nice, but just a little, to add more heat to the explosions. also, explosions look cool if they explode in a short radius and then go really really BOOM^^

Re: new chopper-zone clip - 09/10/07 20:20

even beter.... the chopper you see is a place holder. As we speak we are putting fuxers models in so be patience for more.

Re: new chopper-zone clip - 09/10/07 20:23

Instead of a model propeller it could be quite nice to use only a motion-blured sprite.
Posted By: PHeMoX

Re: new chopper-zone clip - 09/10/07 20:40

Yup, the only critic would be the placeholder chopper.
Ow, one thing that's slightly strange is when you flew backwards. Somehow that didn't look quite that realistic, such a craft needs to tilt backwards more I think.

Cheers

Re: new chopper-zone clip - 09/11/07 01:27

the new models (buildings helies and more) will have normal mappings and better animations

about the tilting were working on it

also for the record this what you see is one month of hard working from 2 persons me and Slin and now Fuxer joined

imagine what you can do when you be able to hire 100 people
lol

Re: new chopper-zone clip - 09/11/07 01:36

actually, that would make things worse.
i made the experience that working with less people is more productive. or else, you tend to really get communication problems...

Re: new chopper-zone clip - 09/11/07 01:54

not if there all working in the same building under one leader instead of all over the globe using internet with diff timezones

if i could hire people my game should be done in 5 months
now it will prolly be more but hey you all know me all for the name of fun and fun we have so dont let us get off topic

Re: new chopper-zone clip - 09/11/07 12:25

yeah stay ontopic give us a new shot with fuxers models already...

and send me your new heli i want to steal it:p

Re: new chopper-zone clip - 09/14/07 18:39

just a small clip of the shore line that is animated

http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=PduxNBEe84I

Re: new chopper-zone clip - 09/15/07 06:58

Beautiful, you put much time in your environment, right?
Posted By: Shadow969

Re: new chopper-zone clip - 09/15/07 07:43

Wow, great! Water looks very dynamic, fluid-like, and realistic. only 2 suggestions - waves should be a bit smaller, and raindrops should be 2-3 times longer. But that's my opinion
Posted By: Nems

Re: new chopper-zone clip - 09/15/07 08:55

Fantastic, thanks...

Re: new chopper-zone clip - 09/15/07 09:34

I just added some small bumps to the water, it looks great for my taste, tell me what you think about it
(You can see the new chopper as well, but I think that it should be a bit more bright):

Posted By: Germanunkol

Re: new chopper-zone clip - 09/17/07 11:45

I think it's just perfect. Yeah, in the video, the waves might be a bit olarge, or else too fast, but other than that: WOW!!
Micha
Posted By: Stansmedia

Re: new chopper-zone clip - 09/17/07 17:53

I couldn't help but notice your chopper zone game in a wii cd case on your website, realspawn. Are you attempting what i think your attempting?

Re: new chopper-zone clip - 09/17/07 18:25

Quote:

I think it's just perfect. Yeah, in the video, the waves might be a bit olarge, or else too fast, but other than that: WOW!!
Micha

Confirmed

Cheers

Frazzle

Re: new chopper-zone clip - 09/18/07 05:12

about the Wii box i was in a creative mood was a bit bored.
And hey a man can dream can he ? this is pure for fun
no intention yet to convert it to Wii even if it was possible.

Posted By: Realplayer_07

Re: new chopper-zone clip - 09/19/07 01:36

ooh very good thanks It* will be useful to my a lot of work
Posted By: Core

Re: new chopper-zone clip - 09/19/07 15:20

HÄHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!
I do ot understand you!"

Re: new chopper-zone clip - 09/22/07 15:48

I just uploaded a new video, wich shows some more of the Project:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aG8Qt4VFm6E

I improved the explosion a bit, worked on the water did some other small changes.
And a big change is that there are the first new models in the game. some buildings are replaced and the chopper is in
I´m very happy with it at the moment
Tell me what you think about it
Posted By: Helghast

Re: new chopper-zone clip - 09/22/07 16:00

Quote:

I just uploaded a new video, wich shows some more of the Project:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aG8Qt4VFm6E

I improved the explosion a bit, worked on the water did some other small changes.
And a big change is that there are the first new models in the game. some buildings are replaced and the chopper is in
I´m very happy with it at the moment
Tell me what you think about it

funny how debris bonces of water, also the shores are too white (or atleast too thick) in my opinion. should work on that a bit...
otherwise good looking!

regards,

Re: new chopper-zone clip - 09/22/07 16:15

It looks great, the overall look is quite impressive !!
On the video itself, the heli looked to small compared to the rest of the environment but maybe it's because of the small video window in youtube I watched it through ^^ The explosions are oke but could be refined, it doens't look like a super realistic explosion, it needs to be heavier and faster. About the parts that fly away and bounce of on the water's surface is a nice idea but I doubt that such an amount of burning pieces will ever bounce that many times on the water itself Maybe adding some water splashes would give this a more realistic look too. But I know you put alot of effort in this and the result is the effect of your hard work so keep on going, tweaking the little and last bits are the annoying parts of live

Cheers

Frazzle
Posted By: Toast

Re: new chopper-zone clip - 09/22/07 16:15

I don't know how you have realized the heli's rotor but maybe if it is going to rotate faster you replace the model with the rotating blades (if the rotation isnt an animation in the model but a model of its own attached to the heli and rotated by script) by a discus-like model (over even a sprite?) which shows some blurred blades (done by texture) and an outlined circle rotating slowly and thus simulating the motion blur...

If you don't really understand what I mean here a picture which pretty much shows what I mean:

Here you can see the blurred blades and that kind of "circle outline" the blades do...

I think this would add a little bit of "communication" as the blurred blades tell the player that he now is going with high to nearly max speed and on the other side well "calms" the whole scene a little bit as u dont have this spinning all the time...

Antoher thing you probably have figured out too:
In your video at 1:38 the enemies' blades "refuse" to fall down too (as do the player's at the very end of the video)...

Re: new chopper-zone clip - 09/22/07 16:19

Maybe that is because of the low fps you get when you record a video. Compressing the file size would increase the amount of frames but I guess Slin already did this so it's actually due to Fraps itself
I think Realspawn mentioned this in one of the previous pages.

Cheers

Frazzle

Re: new chopper-zone clip - 09/22/07 17:16

Thanks for your comments
I´ll make the shore a bit slower and may even make it a bit darker, it depends on how I like it

Quote:

tweaking the little and last bits are the annoying parts of live

they are^^
You are definatly right, the explosion it self is much to slow, I´ll change it now. The bouncing on the watersurface is more caused by accident (it is not passable and used the same as the terrain), but I´ll play around with waterparticles here.

Quote:

Antoher thing you probably have figured out too:
In your video at 1:38 the enemies' blades "refuse" to fall down too (as do the player's at the very end of the video)...

at that moment I didn´t know what to do with it, but I´ll change it now.

About the rotors movement: It looks quite good with 60fps and looks still okay with about 35fps, but I recorded the video with 25fps... I´ll may add a sprite there.

Re: new chopper-zone clip - 09/22/07 20:57

Maybe two more little things:
1.)
I really don't like the way the helis fall down after being dead. This turning is somewhat unrealistic especially as they have lost their blades. Maybe when dead you just pin down their direction at that moment in a vector plus calculate their speed and then you give those two properties to the wreckage model and just let a gravity force affect it. The way it is it's just too repetitive (as all will fall in the same manner) and you probably will get problems when you shoot someone at a higher altitude because the heli shot down at 1:38 spins incredibly fast before hitting the water. I think your script makes it spin faster with time but - well as I said I'd prefer a simple "rock falling" technique instead of this spinning (if you want to keep it you should slow down that spinning acceleration a lot)...

2.)
The "dust clouds" the heli creates when getting close to the ground is a very nice detail but it's not done very well I think. To be true I think you put in too much effort here for an effect coming out wrong. You somehow manage to spawn a "ring" of particles whose size depends on the heli's height. I think it would be better if you just trace the position right under the helicopter and from that point you spawn some bigger (maybe animated) dust-cloud particles, which randomly move away in all 360° directions (either you take the world axis for this or you try to calculate the normal vector of the terrain face to have a correct spawning even on tilted terrain). Depending on the altitude you could spawn more of those clouds, make them bigger and faster. This way you have an effect of your heli pushing anything below it away instead of those strange constant circles of dust...

Enjoy your meal
Toast

Re: new chopper-zone clip - 09/23/07 11:01

Quote:

I really don't like the way the helis fall down after being dead. This turning is somewhat unrealistic especially as they have lost their blades.

The rotor is fixed it wass all a testing fase. As for the crash itself it is realistic. The rotor starts to spin the heli : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3F2k-GWKW-w

I just played a new demo slin provided me and the rotor spins good. It is indeed fraps that ruines the effect in a video clipe by dropping framerate.

Explosions will be tweaked some more
Slin begins to hate me

Re: new chopper-zone clip - 09/23/07 12:41

Well ok in that case the rotor is still functional. I'd say when being hit the engine turns off and thus you only have a little bit of spinning through the rotor left and not such an extreme one...

I think it's also someone will expect as it's done in pretty much all game like BF2 for example...

Enjoy your meal
Toast

Re: new chopper-zone clip - 09/23/07 15:28

@ Realspawn, that video is crazy, why didn't he landed like he was planning too ?? Btw, your heli crashes don't need to be that realistic but you may always try Good to hear you and Slin update the game proces quite often and listen to the users C&C, great work !!

Cheers

Frazzle

Re: new chopper-zone clip - 09/23/07 16:09

we not always listen to the critics however some things can be improved and then we do it

i used serveral videos to study movement

Re: new chopper-zone clip - 09/23/07 16:51

Hehe - don't worry I won't get mad if you keep it this way. I think this one of the harder things of tuning as you have to deal with what would be realistic, what would be cool looking and what are people expecting and especially the last one is pretty important...

But another question about the helis falling down. How is it done? Let's say the enemy flies at full speed an then gets shot. Will its velocity then be set to zero and he falls down right where he was shot? Because I think that would be kinda strange (and the video doesn't show this well enoug to say how you've realized it)...

So maybe a combination of "rock falling" and "spinning" is the way to go...

Enjoy your meal
Toast

Re: new chopper-zone clip - 09/23/07 17:07

I worked the whole day on better explosion sprites, this is what the explosion looks like now (including a crash of the playerheli for Toast^^):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6thyqJ1FIs

btw, Toast, you are may right with the falling down. But actually it doesn´t look wrong for my feeling, how it is now. The only thing I want to change is, that it doesn´t get too fast when falling from a higher position...
About the ground particles: I may have a look at it, but it is very simple as it is, and looks good enough for now.
Posted By: juggalo10101

Re: new chopper-zone clip - 09/28/07 21:39

I would make the blade spin ALOT faster but it looks really nice.
Posted By: padrino

Re: new chopper-zone clip - 09/29/07 11:46

the game looks freaggin amazing... keep up the good work

Re: new chopper-zone clip - 09/29/07 20:51

Indeed, the explosions look more agressive this time Slin, keep'em that way Hard work pays of !!

Cheers

Frazzle

Re: new chopper-zone clip - 10/11/07 00:20

Slin has moved to the USA so things will be slow for now
untill he has time to work some more

a new clip however of some new stuff including the new heli can be seen at : http://www.realspawn-productions.com/chopperzone/index.html

enjoy

Re: new chopper-zone clip - 10/11/07 10:45

I hope Slin gets some free time soon, this is just a great project

Cheers

Frazzle
Posted By: Germanunkol

Re: new chopper-zone clip - 10/11/07 12:41

I admit, when I first saw this project, I didn't like it too much. it all looked unprofessional. But it was WIP, and it looks VERY cool now! good job!!
and the site's nice as well...
Good luck to slin in the USA!
and good luck to you both with this project...
Posted By: Frederick_Lim

Re: new chopper-zone clip - 10/11/07 13:51

May I know how you capture the video?
Posted By: Shadow969

Re: new chopper-zone clip - 10/11/07 13:54

perhaps fraps

Re: new chopper-zone clip - 10/11/07 21:36

yup with fraps. Keep in mind that it sometimes lower the frame rate. Thats why sometimes you see the rotot spin good and some times it doesnt.
© 2024 lite-C Forums