Plant Shadows

Posted By: Slin

Plant Shadows - 11/18/07 13:26

Yesterday I improved my shadowmapping code a bit and placed some plants on the terrain.
I was able to get rid of most problems through using the latest beta, which on the other side made me some problems to include a watershader...
The biggest problem left is the low resolution of the shadows if the light is too far away from the objects.

You can find a short clip of it in action here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YmxDWzRKO8

Just wanted to show it of because everyone sems to be inerested in shadows

Slin
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Plant Shadows - 11/18/07 13:35

wow that looks very cool.
I hope you can finish it.
Posted By: chaotic_dragon

Re: Plant Shadows - 11/18/07 13:38

Yeah looks pretty good mate except for the low resolution its looking good.
ide like to ask you a few questions in private about this lol.
please pm me in reply so i know you are one of the people who actually reply to messages.
Posted By: broozar

Re: Plant Shadows - 11/18/07 13:59

excellent. the shadow still flickers a bit (>resolution issue, like c_d said).

can the palmtree throw shadows on other models like grass etc?

Re: Plant Shadows - 11/18/07 14:07

It actually does if you carfully watch the moment the camera is near to the shadow towards the end, youŽll see a small weed model which is shadowed from the palm.
Posted By: chaotic_dragon

Re: Plant Shadows - 11/18/07 14:16

Very good eye ^_^
Posted By: Wade_Adams

Re: Plant Shadows - 11/18/07 14:19

very nice. I like the realtime casting as well.

Re: Plant Shadows - 11/18/07 14:21

ah yes, right. now i see it.
Posted By: PHeMoX

Re: Plant Shadows - 11/18/07 15:02

Quote:

Yeah looks pretty good mate except for the low resolution its looking good.

It's higher than the standard res shadows in Command and Conquer 3 TW

Looking very good in my opinion. Did you try to combine this with your other tropical island with all those shaders? (bloom, grasfur, shore line and watershader)

Edit: oops mixed up some persons... ChrisB had that tropical island thing I was thinking about. Still, would be cool to see once the new 3dgs version comes.

Cheers

Re: Plant Shadows - 11/18/07 15:07

Quote:

Did you try to combine this with your other tropical island with all those shaders? (bloom, grasfur, shore line and watershader)

I have all of that but never had it together in one scene...
IŽd like to put it all together but have to wait for the next 3DGS version for it to work properly because of some problemse at the moment which will hopefully be fixed then...

Thanks for all your comments

Re: Plant Shadows - 11/18/07 16:19

I just found out that I used wrong texcoords for the transparency check.
The shadows shape is much better now, but you also can see the pixels better...

Posted By: fogman

Re: Plant Shadows - 11/18/07 16:33

This is absolutely amazing. Exciting. Awesome...
I donŽt know how to describe my feelings about your work.

IŽm very happy that you are a member of this community. Kudos!
Posted By: ello

Re: Plant Shadows - 11/18/07 16:46

yes, really good job.. i guess it is really just a matter of the resolution

Re: Plant Shadows - 11/18/07 17:08

can't you just blur it?

Re: Plant Shadows - 11/18/07 17:16

I blur it at the wrong position at the moment, but IŽll now try to change that which should give a bit better results than.
Posted By: frazzle

Re: Plant Shadows - 11/18/07 17:53

Amazing work Slin, you really became a shader expert in no time if you ask me
I admire and have great respect for the work and effort you put into this community !!

Cheers

Frazzle
Posted By: Loopix

Re: Plant Shadows - 11/18/07 17:54

Now that's cool With a little bluring and maybe a different algorithm for shadow darkening/transparency on darker spots (now they are almost black there), this will be super handy stuff.
Can you tell us what's the missing/buggy A7 features you need? How does it affect the framerate so far?
Posted By: Nems

Re: Plant Shadows - 11/18/07 18:18

woohoo, go slin go !

Love to know more about it like, some terrain base shaders disable GStudio stencil shadows, does this get over that by generating player shadow or doesnt it matter now.

Re: Plant Shadows - 11/18/07 19:05

Okay, I made the change with the blur and it looks quite a bit better now (the Light is even a bit further away than on the previous pictures) and I also tried to use an other algorithm for the shadowthrowing which got very similar to the first one...^^:

Thank you frazzle but I still feel as an absolute shadernoob

@Loopix: There are just some problems with bmaps in C-Script which made me unable to include water. And I wasnŽt able to translate the code to Lite-C without the shadows not working (matrices and Lite-C -_-)...
This uses one view for the light and a second view for the camera (I could get rid of it, but it would take me some freedom I donŽt want to lose at the moment (easy combining with other shaders like normalmapping)). The shaders shouldnŽt slow the rendering down too much, so just decide on your own how fast it is. This scene runs constant with 50-60fps.

I donŽt really understand what you mean Nems-_-

Thanks for all your comments
Slin

Re: Plant Shadows - 11/18/07 20:18

now that's a beauty!
Posted By: ello

Re: Plant Shadows - 11/18/07 20:36

Quote:

woohoo, go slin go !

Love to know more about it like, some terrain base shaders disable GStudio stencil shadows, does this get over that by generating player shadow or doesnt it matter now.

who wants to use stencil shadows if u have realtime shadow mapping
nice evolution, slin
Posted By: PHeMoX

Re: Plant Shadows - 11/18/07 20:49

Quote:

Very impressive!!! Great job man,

Cheers

Re: Plant Shadows - 11/19/07 17:17

Thanks
It is actually flickering a lot which makes it look less good than on that screen...
IŽve got some ideas on how to get rid of them but they all come with some disadvantages-_-
But IŽll may be able to get it a bit better

And just to let you all know, this is done with C-Script and some shaders only.
I think about converting it to Lite-C (I had some trubbles the last time I tried it-_-), but it is possibly not worth the effort since jcl meant that he is going to post something soon, and because this is still some very basic shadowmapping and not really usuable for real projects.

Slin
Posted By: frazzle

Re: Plant Shadows - 11/19/07 20:16

Quote:

Thank you frazzle but I still feel as an absolute shadernoob

I don't think you should feel like a shadernoob if you can create such realistic shadows through shaders, I mean, just look at the adjustment you've made
My status may indicate expert but you're way better then me when it comes to shaders so basicly, status doesn't prove anything

Cheers

Frazzle

Re: Plant Shadows - 11/20/07 16:23

I was asked to shape the light, so here you go:

My next step will be to add a second light source and than IŽll try to convert it to lite-c.
Posted By: HeelX

Re: Plant Shadows - 11/20/07 16:25

Why is the scene so über-bright? Could you try to make a natural light setting and a semi transparent shadow instead of such a pitchblack thingy? Good work so far!

Cheers, Christian.

Re: Plant Shadows - 11/20/07 16:29

Look at my picture before this one. That is how it looks with the latest beta, since I canŽt use bmaps there-_- I had to use an older 3DGS version which seems to render espacially the terrain much more bright...
Posted By: HeelX

Re: Plant Shadows - 11/20/07 17:02

Whoops..
© 2024 lite-C Forums