old man got colours

Posted By: Pappenheimer

old man got colours - 02/08/08 04:36

Working on a model last week, I figured out that I have to get accustomed to a paint tool to paint directly on a model. Blacksmith3D is such great free tool.
Problem: I always build my model in MED. How can I export a model from MED to a program like Blacksmith3D. I thought blender does the job, but it doesn't import mdls, only export. Searching in the poor man's list, I stumbled over freemotion. Import into freemotion, export as md2, import md2 into blender, export obj.
In Blacksmith3D you have to find the different options first, but after that:
violà, I enjoy it!

Posted By: ventilator

Re: old man got colours - 02/08/08 05:00

if possible you shouldn't use md2. it's a very bad format because it packs each coordinate into one byte. this means that you lose a lot of precision since the bounding box of the model gets subdivided 256 times along each axis and the vertices snap to this grid.

why did he paint his face with a felt pen? looks scary.

Re: old man got colours - 02/08/08 07:16

You are right. I know about the md2 format and it's backdraws, but I didn't find any other format that is common of fragmotion and blender.

I forgot to mention that I don't re-import this md2-model. I only export the painted picture, and import it in MED. The uv-mesh seems to be untouched by the reduction of the md2-format.

I know that this isn't a good example of proper work of a modeler, the model is quit old and lowpoly, and far from being optimized at all.

I simply like the sketch-like look. It looks like a crinkled sheet of paper, painted in rough lines with felt pen and watercolors.
Posted By: frazzle

Re: old man got colours - 02/08/08 10:18

Well, seems like a handy methode you experimented with Pappenheimer
Btw, I hope you're not a religous man

Cheers

Frazzle

Re: old man got colours - 02/08/08 11:30

Quote:

Btw, I hope you're not a religous man

Why?
Posted By: frazzle

Re: old man got colours - 02/08/08 19:11

Since he looks kinda like Benedict XVI, the current pope

Cheers

Frazzle
Posted By: Havoc22

Re: old man got colours - 02/08/08 20:14

Quote:

Since he looks kinda like Benedict XVI, the current pope

Cheers

Frazzle

HA! I was thinking the same thing.
Posted By: broozar

Re: old man got colours - 02/08/08 20:43

abteilung hässlich, kantig, schlecht gemacht.
Posted By: Loopix

Re: old man got colours - 02/08/08 20:58

Keineswegs!

Abteilung: künstlerisch, ausstrahlungsstark, anregend

Re: old man got colours - 02/08/08 21:19

abteilung arschkriecher

Re: old man got colours - 02/08/08 21:30

Quote:

abteilung hässlich, kantig, schlecht gemacht.

translated: "category ugly, edgy, sloppy made."

This is art!!!
Nobody gets its true value!

Honestly, not that I wanna start a rant, it is just an opinion, it is my taste:
there are a lot of very well made models around the world and in the modern games, and although I like some of them very much and I enjoy their beauty, I think they are not art, and they don't carry anything, no message, no meaning, no life.

I know that this model is at least at a border where the viewer can't bear its sloppyness. And, I as the modeler and painter look at it with the proudness of a creator and forget about the smearing of the texture and things like that.

I have a friend who is a magnificent drawer, but he loves perfectness and can't bear sketches, while his sketches are wonderful and the very few finished masterpieces of him that he accept as of at least quite good quality.
I like his sketches, but I don't like the finished pieces, because they are IMO lifeless in their color, lines and expression.

Maybe, it is simply this, I don't like perfectness, because it is an incarnation of a lie? Maybe.
But, I know that as a result of my work, perfectness is expected, and people need perfectness because it symbolizes health and happiness, often it even symbolizes invulnerability.
That's okay. But, in my free time, I sometimes can't resist to make and present something like a pope model that looks as if made of paper from the paper basket.

EDIT:
Actually, IMO it has been a good lowpoly model, originally build as a zombie.
Later, I changed it into the old man, and unfortunately added some unwelcome distortions...

EDIT2: Danke, Loopix! Es gibt doch noch Menschen, die Dinge ähnlich erleben wie ich! Erleichterung! Der Tag ist gerettet! Puuh!!!
Posted By: ventilator

Re: old man got colours - 02/09/08 00:31

so you used md2 on purpose to achieve this effect?

i agree with you and this is why i don't like the term 3d-artist. what 3d-artists do usually has nothing to do with art at all. i find his look more scary than some perfect kitschy zombie model.

Re: old man got colours - 02/09/08 01:11

scary it is indeed, but long your way to become an artist still is, my young jedi. may the tris be with you.
Posted By: jigalypuff

Re: old man got colours - 02/09/08 01:12

i`d reccomend export from med as .3ds import into ultimate unwrap (i believe there is still the free version called liteunwrap to be had) export as obj then import into blacksmith.

Re: old man got colours - 02/09/08 10:11

Quote:

i`d reccomend export from med as .3ds import into ultimate unwrap

Does .3ds include the uv-map, because I already unwrapped it in MED?

The fragments and seams on the model don't result because of a bad uv-layout, it is because of the way how I painted with white on an already applied picture.

In other words, it looks like it looks by purpose, not by not knowing how to do this or that.

Edit: Got aware that this contradicts a bit to my former post where I mentioned smearing on the texture, in fact there are some smearing at the eyes resulting from the change of the model from zombie to old man, but you can see on the pics only one very small part of it.

Re: old man got colours - 02/10/08 16:06

Quote:

Does .3ds include the uv-map, because I already unwrapped it in MED?

3ds is capable of uv sets, however, MED does not export them for some reason.
Posted By: lostclimate

Re: old man got colours - 02/10/08 16:23

really? I always got it to work myself, i think.... if i remeber right the issue i had was with meshes being open, and that there was not animation support.

Re: old man got colours - 02/10/08 16:35

tried recently with a6.6. at least this med cannot export 3ds files with their 3ds uv coords, although 3ds can definitely handle uv coors, i use to export models from wings3d in 3ds, and i get textures and uv's just fine int MED.
Posted By: lostclimate

Re: old man got colours - 02/11/08 03:54

ok, maybe i was thinking of import.. idk
© 2024 lite-C Forums