Lets talk about HD

Posted By: not_me

Lets talk about HD - 02/27/08 01:03

Ive taken a little time out of my life to compile 2 simple HD demos. they each consist of one model and one terrain. The terrain is kinda bad. but the model is the main concentration. hoping to start a discussion here do you think that something like this would be possible in a game btw the models are very high poly and im rendering the game at 1600x1200 resolution. so factor that in.
download the two tests from HERE

forgot to mention that i didnt make those models.
SCREENSHOTS

Posted By: oldschoolj

Re: Lets talk about HD - 02/27/08 02:43

that archiive is damaged

Re: Lets talk about HD - 02/27/08 02:57

give me a second to fix that.

Re: Lets talk about HD - 02/27/08 03:12

working still...
this is the new link
Posted By: Machinery_Frank

Re: Lets talk about HD - 02/27/08 08:05

I dont get this. Both models are from id-Software (Doom3). You just changed textures. And no, they are not high poly.
Posted By: JibbSmart

Re: Lets talk about HD - 02/27/08 09:11

Quote:

And no, they are not high poly.

it's coz most people here have 2002 standards for "high-poly"

those could be used in a low-scale RTS these days albeit with lower-res textures.

or actually, it looks like a dodgy subdivide was performed, judging by the gaps in between pinky and his legs.

so in the end, i don't know what this is showing. i know you can make some better stuff of your own, not_me.

julz
Posted By: BlueBeast

Re: Lets talk about HD - 02/27/08 09:31

hmmmm Doom3's Cyberdemon was 6,000 polys... that's not high by todays standards?
Posted By: JibbSmart

Re: Lets talk about HD - 02/27/08 10:05

no. it was high-poly in 2004. 6000's a couple k more than i thought, but not high today, unless you want lots and lots of characters on-screen at a time.

the delusion is made by modern games trying to show more and more characters on screen, and apply more and more complex vertex shaders and/or multi-pass/multi-view shaders without using as much LoD. this means much slower poly-increase in games that over-use shaders, and the trend is followed by those who don't have a reason and are satisfied with little optimisation

that's a huge generalisation, but 6000 is mid-range standards, these days, but the context allows for huge variation.

julz
Posted By: Michael_Schwarz

Re: Lets talk about HD - 02/27/08 13:57

HD = A Lot of polys?

I think i missed something.
Posted By: mk_1

Re: Lets talk about HD - 02/27/08 14:12

lol?
not_me, what's that supposed to mean?
Posted By: JimFox

Re: Lets talk about HD - 02/27/08 15:29

HD or not, those are neat pics. I don't want either of these guys up close to me!!!!!!!
Best regards,
Posted By: frazzle

Re: Lets talk about HD - 02/27/08 19:41

You could say that this is a medium poly stage model these days but surely not high as it dates from 2005-2006. It was a high standard model in that periode like Julz mentioned but it isn't anymore
Btw, I find broozar's comment quite right indeed since HD is about a better screen resolution thus resulting in a better screen visualisation or detail and not about a higher amount if polies.

Cheers

Frazzle
Posted By: Xarthor

Re: Lets talk about HD - 02/27/08 20:12

So what are you showcasing not_me?
- the ugly "terrain" ?
- the high screen resolution?
or the doom3 models without normal maps (as it seems)?

Re: Lets talk about HD - 02/28/08 00:35

lol i was actually just bored and wanted to start a conversation in the forum. thought it might excite my life. and apparently i did. but the models and screen resolution are it. the terrain is a piece of crap. wish i coulda done something different. but someone please post something HD made with 3dgs.
Posted By: DarkWhoppy_

Re: Lets talk about HD - 02/28/08 00:59

I'm glad you posted something on the showcase forum. It has been pretty dead... I use to come here and see a new project every day. Now we get one every few weeks... Which sucks...

The only thing we see now are repeated, "look at my cool effect" posts. Which is gettin old. I want to see actual projects.

The idea of making something in HD using 3DGS would probably turn some heads and may bring new members to the 3DGS community. I don't think there's anyting wrong with this post, other than the lack of media. I like those two models though.
Posted By: Michael_Schwarz

Re: Lets talk about HD - 02/28/08 20:30

Quote:

Btw, I find broozar's comment quite right indeed since HD is about a better screen resolution thus resulting in a better screen visualisation or detail and not about a higher amount if polies.

huh broozar? he didnt even post here oO
Posted By: frazzle

Re: Lets talk about HD - 02/28/08 21:46

Quote:

Quote:

huh broozar? he didnt even post here oO

Actually, I ment your comment
So instead of 'broozar', I ment 'Michael_Schwarz' which is yourself ^^
Lame typo but thanks for mentioning

Cheers

Frazzle

Re: Lets talk about HD - 02/29/08 00:04

thanks darkwhoppy yea i thought it might turn a few heads. and the forum has been kinda dead lately. lets krank out some projects. im trying to get vol.2 of sckratch magazine out. hopefully that will help to bring life back into the forum. not saying you guys are boring. but i do agree with whoppy. our project is coming along nicely. were about ready to post some screenshots. and maybe even a video preview. CG video comes later.
© 2024 lite-C Forums