An alien for my game

Posted By: NITRO777

An alien for my game - 05/26/08 01:34

My new game, which I cannot reveal the name of yet, has its first alien model done. Its a space exploration game so basically you would encounter this model if your ship gets hijacked or you find yourself in another type of bad situation because this alien species will be hostile. I havent started his gun yet but I have a basic idea of what it will be. The image next to the bottom image is the normal map applied. I hope you like it. smile

Posted By: Ilidrake

Re: An alien for my game - 05/26/08 03:01

Really nice. Wow!!!! Is it blender? Whats the poly-count? Keep this stuff coming!!!!!!
Posted By: DoC

Re: An alien for my game - 05/26/08 07:31

zbrush
Posted By: Michael_Schwarz

Re: An alien for my game - 05/26/08 09:14

Originally Posted By: DoC
zbrush

so what?

Re: An alien for my game - 05/26/08 10:29

Quote:
Really nice. Wow!!!! Is it blender? Whats the poly-count? Keep this stuff coming!!!!!!

Thanks! Yep, the high resolution model was done in zbrush and the low resolution model was done with maya 4.0, but the low resolution model could have been done in blender. When it is triangulated it has around 7000 polies, in quads it is only around 3500 polies. The high version has >1,000,000.

Quote:
zbrush

so what?
Yep, zbrush is pretty much necessary for what I want to do in my game. FYI Im using xxxdisciple's normal map shader which seems to work ok.

Here is the next in line Im working on, it has about 3k polies, it was done in maya 4.0 but it still needs to be uv mapped and sent to zbrush, then I'll have to make a texture and normal maps.

Posted By: DoC

Re: An alien for my game - 05/26/08 12:15

Originally Posted By: Michael_Schwarz
Originally Posted By: DoC
zbrush

so what?

nothing i only answer the question and i like the proggie. whistle
Posted By: tuschcarsten

Re: An alien for my game - 05/26/08 18:19

yea, on the first pic it looks like davy jones somehow laugh

but it seems to be really professional wink

Posted By: frazzle

Re: An alien for my game - 05/26/08 19:24

Good to see a post from you again Nitro, it's been a while AFAIK wink wink And what a post this is, great organic proportions, the texture looks decent as well and the bump mapping shader adds up to the ET-effect smile smile
Great start for the models !!

Cheers

Frazzle
Posted By: testDummy

Re: An alien for my game - 05/26/08 23:17

10a. 'I' wonder, how do 'you' accurately determine whether the entity is the same 'Nitro' referenced in memory.

(That is probably supposed to be a general question, and not so limited in scope, if suggested as such by awkward terms.)
Perhaps, THAT does not actually occur.
Maybe, good identity tagging doesn't matter at all.
'Individuals' in scope, are probably all the same in a sense anyway, but that is not meant to wholly point at a reason of matter or not.

Yes, it is a lie, THIS doesn't actually 'wonder', (not at all) and not more than THAT 'wonders' why for THIS, and maybe, 'truth'.
>>10a.

Tis a visually appealing model, or at least THIS seems to think so, however, potentially there are a number of disagreeable elements, but from THIS to THAT, why list them?
10b. Not in the mood to pick at its physiology anyway, but what of those with such enlightening utterances as
Quote:
so what?
it's the same, self or THAT, but the lie of difference, it offers a momentarily simulation of interest, or worse, another illusion of that only simulated, but not well enough to be termed with such accuracy.
Pick, pick, but location plays obstacle, maybe...

'Mood' is kind of a stretch, as at this point, it's more messy, heaping, stinky slop byproduct left over from the series and stacking of old blinking temporal 'feel' routines. >> 10b.

But again, like a primate slamming the skulls of a peer, and itself, against a rocky protuberance, mechanically, rhythmically, (in broken step), the words of wisdom, so eloquent in the raw, blunt human element, cap it off well, or don't 'you' think s.ss..so...:
Quote:
so what?

The 'alien' is not on a vacation with friends and family, correct?
Feeding appendages are not too close to optic organs, ...aye, THIS doesn't know.

Re: An alien for my game - 05/27/08 02:36

Quote:
Good to see a post from you again Nitro, it's been a while AFAIK And what a post this is, great organic proportions, the texture looks decent as well and the bump mapping shader adds up to the ET-effect

Thanks, I have been coming on the forum shadowing a lot and I have been following your work also and it is very much improved, we should collaborate on a level or model or other project sometime. Thanks a lot!

Quote:
yea, on the first pic it looks like davy jones somehow

but it seems to be really professional
Wow, thanks!

Quote:
Feeding appendages are not too close to optic organs, ...aye, THIS doesn't know.
Since I am a biology major I probably should have designed it with more similarity with real functioning species...I think I was just imagining that he somehow clasped his food with the tentacles to hold it in place as he eats it, but I see what you mean. (Hopefully my players will not think too much about it)

Quote:
The 'alien' is not on a vacation with friends and family, correct?
no.not at all, he is going to be part of an extremely violent alien race in the game.

The next species, the guys with the big heads, are going to be a simpler race with less desire to dominate the universe. grin

Re: An alien for my game - 05/27/08 19:10

@ Nitro:

Thank you, you're being too kind ^^
Btw, you can expect a pm one of these days wink wink

Cheers

Frazzle

Re: An alien for my game - 05/29/08 19:30

The pm I promised cannot be tansmitted due to the fact that your pm box is full grin grin

Thanks in progress

Frazzle
Posted By: ratchet

Re: An alien for my game - 05/30/08 19:05

Good models.
For the first one , his lower body looks like a skater.
Like he has a short and some skate protections.
Change that by studying alien example on the net (google)
and bring him some good armor.

Keep up the good work.

Re: An alien for my game - 05/31/08 13:10

Yes I know what you mean, I would like to redo the legs actually but not right now, now Im kind of sick of looking at this model if you know what I mean. Good critic though.
Posted By: sueds

Re: An alien for my game - 06/01/08 20:26

I've also the digital tutors ttorial very nice. You should at least change the character before you start making your game.

Re: An alien for my game - 06/01/08 21:35

Yes I have the next gen digital tutors dvd, and I learned a lot about character modeling the torso of this creature there, but the model is very much different than theirs. My design and texture is completely different, but if you have seen a similarity then maybe I should change it.

Its a moot point though, as I will be changing the legs and head anyway, probably also changing suit also...you can rest assured that this model will be reworked.

Just in case anyone was wondering what he is talking about:

And it is true I did watch this dvd, its a very good one also. I have already begun remodeling the head, because I wanted to change the mouth to sort of a darth vader type of filtering mask...I'll show more pictures as it gets developed and you will be able to see it better than.

Posted By: tkunze

Re: An alien for my game - 06/05/08 07:46

Really great model. I like it very much.

The only thing (which was mentioned before) are the legs. Your model looks very organic and the legs very robotic.
So maybe you should add some feets in the style of the hands.

I start to get frustrated that more and more users showcase models of this
quality where my skills are limited in assembling some basic blocks.

I also like the texture which fits very well.

Looking forward to see more.

Re: An alien for my game - 06/06/08 19:42

TriNitroToluene :
In fact you have followed very well the DVD tutorial smile
But their model is strange ; you should draw some concept ,
or mix different parts from existing models found on the Net
(try google with 3d model alien)

Game artisans site : showcase of an alien

This is a site with great models to study and be inspired.

Re: An alien for my game - 06/07/08 03:22

Quote:
The only thing (which was mentioned before) are the legs. Your model looks very organic and the legs very robotic.
I agree, Im going to change the legs.

Quote:
I start to get frustrated that more and more users showcase models of this
quality where my skills are limited in assembling some basic blocks.
I understand. I feel very frustrated that my skills aren't as good as others also. I think everyone feels that way. Hopefully we will all stick tenaciously to our craft and ideas and maybe we will get better in the process.

Thanks for the good critic.
Posted By: Helghast

Re: An alien for my game - 06/07/08 10:39

<3 Maya!!
Posted By: Machinery_Frank

Re: An alien for my game - 06/07/08 13:13

It looks good.

You made some changes to the model from the tutorial. But from the first glance both models (yours and the tutorial one) look very similar if not the same. A quick viewer still could come to the conclusion that they are the same.
Posted By: sueds

Re: An alien for my game - 06/07/08 23:21

I think if you are already working on your game you should have your own artwork because you'll be running out of tutorial after you made 3 characters.

Re: An alien for my game - 06/08/08 18:16

Ok. Then I'll just dump the model if that is concensus, and I respect the views of artists here, especially frank who has done a lot of good work.

I am able to make plenty of characters without tutorials, I will abundantly prove that in the coming months.

Its just too bad because it is genuinely my artwork and I did spend hours on it, but if thats what you guys think then fine, I will trash it.
Posted By: Machinery_Frank

Re: An alien for my game - 06/09/08 09:44

I think this is a good approach. You learned a lot through this tutorial and your next model will be even better.

If you don't want to make it for your game then we could talk about selling some of your upcoming models through our shop. If you are interested then feel free to contact me.

Re: An alien for my game - 06/09/08 18:45

I understand. I feel very frustrated that my skills aren't as good as others also. I think everyone feels that way. Hopefully we will all stick tenaciously to our craft and ideas and maybe we will get better in the process.

@ Trinito:
In fact , even in site of industry 3D artist, all people find
little problems on models that look incredible and could be in a AAAA game.

so my advice, is take only the critics from us that you
think , you want to follow.
After that work part after part on your models :
legs, torso, arms, head , concentrate on one part at time.
Begin the game , imroving textures , models can be done after( even in industry it works like that a lot , lot of changes and improvments are done during development )

Keep up the good work , never give up.
© 2024 lite-C Forums