PowerPlay: Multiplayer (Download/Screens)

Posted By: Zelek

PowerPlay: Multiplayer (Download/Screens) - 09/02/08 13:09

Hi everyone,

PowerPlay is a turn-based multiplayer game (2-6 players) that I've been working on over the summer. You can download it here:

PowerPlay v.01 (14.9 mb)

(Click for full-size)

Summary:
The goal of the game is to power the most cities possible by cutting off your opponents' expansion and
by purchasing the best power plants possible. The game ends once a player has connected 15 or more
cities. Whoever has powered the most cities at the end of this turn is the winner.

Running/Playing the game
To run the game, just run Launcher.exe in the PowerPlay folder. I'm afraid it will be a little confusing until you understand the rules. There are two sets of instructions included in the folder that hopefully clear things up a bit. You can host a game and start it without anyone joining to get a feel for how things work. I know there's not much point to playing alone, but it should give you a chance to figure things out.

I've tested this over lan and IP and it does work, though firewalls might potentially result in "No Server Found". I have a friend whose games I can't join, but he can join mine.

This is the very first release so I'm sure there will be problems - you can just post them here or email me at mike@codecommode.com. My goal is to use this as a portfolio project for getting a game development job, so any constructive criticism you have to that end would be appreciated.

Credits:
Most of the graphics were created by a paid freelance artist, and then arranged/modified/chopped by me.

The background music was kindly created for me by a guy named Gordon.
You can contact him at t00nz4u@googlemail.com if you like the song.
His website is: http://www.t00nz.net/

PowerPlay is based on a board game called Power Grid:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_Grid_(board_game)
Posted By: Dark_samurai

Re: PowerPlay: Multiplayer (Download/Screens) - 09/02/08 13:59

Didn't played it, but it looks very good!
Professional look with greate panels which fit the style.

Keep up such a good work!

Dark_Samurai
Posted By: frazzle

Re: PowerPlay: Multiplayer (Download/Screens) - 09/03/08 09:05

Since first impressions are probably the most important ones, mine was very postive smile smile
The graphical side as well as the concept are quite professional. Even though the concept side is based on an already existing game, I enjoyed clicking around with it thus it still remained that crucial creativity factor wink wink
Great start for a WIP MP ^^

Cheers

Frazzle
Posted By: Tails01

Re: PowerPlay: Multiplayer (Download/Screens) - 09/03/08 13:31

I love 2d games. Your Screenshot look very nice and interessting
i've not download it yet, but i'll make it soon.
nice work.

Tails
Posted By: Joozey

Re: PowerPlay: Multiplayer (Download/Screens) - 09/03/08 13:34

This looks gorgeous ^^ very nice job there!
Posted By: William

Re: PowerPlay: Multiplayer (Download/Screens) - 09/04/08 19:40

Looks great! cool

Re: PowerPlay: Multiplayer (Download/Screens) - 09/04/08 23:19

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the kind comments. Has anyone had a chance to try a multiplayer session?

Re: PowerPlay: Multiplayer (Download/Screens) - 09/18/08 03:03

If anyone finds a bug, please post it here so I can fix it.

If you didn't play it, could you tell me what kept you from trying? (The fact that it's 2d? Not having anyone to try multiplayer with? Are the rules too complicated?)

Constructive criticism is appreciated. Imagine that you're hiring a game developer, and someone shows you this as their example project - would it influence whether or not you hire them?
Posted By: Clockmaster

Re: PowerPlay: Multiplayer (Download/Screens) - 09/28/08 20:18

Thatīs a Nice Example, what a Small Team ( or a Single Person ) can do. It must not be the Big RPG or Shooter Game. Such small Projects makes fun and many People will play this. The Graphics isnīt High End, but it must not be. With an Intresting Gameplay and a Good Combination of Tendency-fully Ghraphics with Good User Interface is the Key. Really Good Work!
Posted By: lostclimate

Re: PowerPlay: Multiplayer (Download/Screens) - 09/29/08 03:05

"If you didn't play it, could you tell me what kept you from trying? (The fact that it's 2d? Not having anyone to try multiplayer with? Are the rules too complicated?)"
lack of time, or dual computer setup right now (my mobo is fried on my desktop)

although If I was to put together a team I would definately hire someone base off this and some other tests, (all the comments are good, and the screens show polish, and professionalism in them)
Posted By: ratchet

Re: PowerPlay: Multiplayer (Download/Screens) - 09/29/08 18:58

Great game !
And i agree lot more people here should target smaller
and funny,coool games.

even in XBOX Live arcade , you can find such amazing
games with original touches (castle crashers etc ....)

3DGS not really a 2D engine, it seems some 2D features are planned to make 3DGS lot more 2D capable ?
Posted By: astrophe

Re: PowerPlay: Multiplayer (Download/Screens) - 09/29/08 21:59

Originally Posted By: Zelek
If you didn't play it, could you tell me what kept you from trying? (The fact that it's 2d? Not having anyone to try multiplayer with? Are the rules too complicated?)

for me, i think it looks fantastic... and i was going to download it, then i saw that it's only a multiplayer game... there's no AI to play against (from what it looks like to me). would be nice to have at least a simple AI to play against... get your feet wet, learn the game, and THEN start up an online game. that's my reason, anyway...
Posted By: Germanunkol

Re: PowerPlay: Multiplayer (Download/Screens) - 10/01/08 07:02

Yeah, I downloaded it, checked it out, but I didn't keep trying because I had no one to play it with...even the greatest multiplayer games are no fun without mutliple players frown

It's looking good and complete, but I didn't get too far into it. I may when I have time and a friend here though.
Posted By: Joozey

Re: PowerPlay: Multiplayer (Download/Screens) - 10/03/08 00:14

I have no friends. frown :P
© 2024 lite-C Forums