Jungle Trees

Posted By: Gamesaint762

Jungle Trees - 06/08/09 14:58

I have been working on some trees for my project. This environment is a rocky/thick jungle. These are a few of the trees. Crits or comments please.. GS out.

Posted By: Cowabanga

Re: Jungle Trees - 06/08/09 15:03

Well done! Are they sprites or models??

Re: Jungle Trees - 06/08/09 15:46

These are all created in Maya, sculpted in Zbrush and I use simple planes for the smaller branches and leaves. Textures done in PS4.
Posted By: BastovBros

Re: Jungle Trees - 06/08/09 16:49

I think you should attach more leaves to the trees. They would look better. I like the textures.

Re: Jungle Trees - 06/08/09 17:07

Yeah I agree. Im going to go back and modify the leaf/branch planes to get a better blend and add more leaves.

Re: Jungle Trees - 06/08/09 18:22

I plan to do at least 6 to 8 different trees so that I can break up the jungle better. Also have tons of plants, bushes, vines and wicked shrooms. Any Crits welcome. GS out.
Posted By: KiwiBoy

Re: Jungle Trees - 06/08/09 18:32

They look the part, alpine plants, sparse foliage, deformed trunks, they look real good so you should keep them as alpines and the new ones as jungle?

Re: Jungle Trees - 06/08/09 19:39

Well these are all trees. I see that I need more leaves and maybe some shots with something in there so everyone can get a sense of scale.
Posted By: Damocles_

Re: Jungle Trees - 06/08/09 19:49

They look like Bonzai trees.
You need to rework the proportions of the trunk and make
more realistic leaves. (not every leaf single, but rather
"bulbs" of leafs), the leafs must be much more dense and cover much more of the tree.

I also agree that they dont look like jungle plants, but rather like (single standing, and wind-worn) mountain trees.

A jungle has dense vegetation, forcing the trees to be very high to capture any sun. Also they are often covered by moss and other secondary vegetation.
Posted By: Machinery_Frank

Re: Jungle Trees - 06/09/09 06:30

You did a great sculpting job for the bark!

And I agree that you should make a mountain vegetation pack out of it.

Re: Jungle Trees - 06/09/09 14:09

I appreciate the comments guys. I will be working on these trees some more in the next few days and add some more leaves. I will post some more screens asap. GS out.

Re: Jungle Trees - 06/12/09 03:06

Made some modifications on the trees. The character model for the demo my team is making is there to show scale. More crits or comments welcome. GS out.

Posted By: EvilSOB

Re: Jungle Trees - 06/12/09 05:20

They look beautiful... but
Looking the the scale of the player, the leaves are about 3 feet long...
Unless it intentional.

Also, the bases of the trees seem chopped off extremely flat, or are they
just penetrating a grey floor?

Keep in mind, when you are building your forests, I always find it amazing how
different a complex model like your own can look with an un-even global scaling
and/or additional color/brightness tint.
Doesnt take much. And minimises the number of different models required.

Keep up the amazing work...

Re: Jungle Trees - 06/12/09 20:53

@eVILSob

The scale is actually intentional. I wanted a way different look. I guess you could say my world my rules. However I actually may scale down a bit more but not much. I am going to try to create a jungle and or forest using about 6 to 8 trees and probably about that many bushes and plants. Of course theres alot of misc stuff like Giant Shrooms, rocks, and misc plant life to go in there such as stumps and fallen branches. It will take a while to create it as I envision it. This is really only the start of lots more work. Another update for ya....

Posted By: lostclimate

Re: Jungle Trees - 06/16/09 18:31

looking much better, I do agree that some leaves need to be not so seperate though.
Posted By: Damocles_

Re: Jungle Trees - 06/16/09 19:50

They still look more like Bonsai trees than jungle trees.

Re: Jungle Trees - 06/16/09 20:16

The point is that they are meant to look different. Not so much like a regular tree. I should have mentioned that before. You can see that the character is small compared to the trees. So its going to be a forest of these types of trees. Hopefully as soon as the terrain and other assets are done I can throw up some actual "Jungle" screen shots. Ok look for it in the future. GS out.
© 2024 lite-C Forums