The Realms of Fantasy [old game]

Posted By: Helghast

The Realms of Fantasy [old game] - 02/21/10 11:59

As everyone has been posting their old games lately,
me and Lennart_Hillen have taken the time to build a working build from whatever we still had backed up on our old HDD.

we present to you our game, as it was back in the day:

and a link to our demo:
TRoF Demo (~28MB)

move around using WASD.
you can switch movement modes by pressing the Y button.
you can get into the inventory by pressing TAB (press it 3 times more to get out of it... weird bug, lol)

We didnt include the Battle system and cutscenes, it was waaaaay too messy, i'll upload a movie or something of the likes if people are still interested though.

Needless to say this is a canned project, but we still wanted to share this with you laugh

regards,

(the ancient "dreamlight development" team)
Posted By: 3run

Re: The Realms of Fantasy [old game] - 02/21/10 12:08

Looks really great laugh
Posted By: Muhsin

Re: The Realms of Fantasy [old game] - 02/21/10 12:12

looks nice!! i will try it now! grin

why didn't you continue developing the game?

- Muhsin Kaymak
Posted By: hopfel

Re: The Realms of Fantasy [old game] - 02/21/10 12:23

The graphic is realy nice grin (only the playermodel walks a little bit... erm... you know what I mean ^^)

But landscape; Hats off!
You MUST keep it up ^-^
Posted By: Superku

Re: The Realms of Fantasy [old game] - 02/21/10 14:10

Wow, this is really great, very nice atmosphere!
Does the demo stop when I'm supposed to go left or am I just too dumb?

Re: The Realms of Fantasy [old game] - 02/21/10 14:20

Originally Posted By: hopfel
The graphic is realy nice grin (only the playermodel walks a little bit... erm... you know what I mean ^^)

But landscape; Hats off!
You MUST keep it up ^-^

hahahahaa, the animation is just Cbabe with a different texture tongue

Originally Posted By: Superku
Wow, this is really great, very nice atmosphere!
Does the demo stop when I'm supposed to go left or am I just too dumb?

hahahaaa, yeah, that's the end of the demo tongue
There was more to the game, but most of it was never finished (like the battle system, the cutscenes).
This basically took us a year or 2 to make, but that includes time to learn how to use Gamestudio, bit's of optimisation etc etc.

thanks!
regards,
Posted By: mikaldinho

Re: The Realms of Fantasy [old game] - 02/21/10 15:29

i am very impressed.
Posted By: CetiLiteC

Re: The Realms of Fantasy [old game] - 02/21/10 17:31

It looks like the Fable games.
Posted By: Inestical

Re: The Realms of Fantasy [old game] - 02/21/10 17:38

Believe me, you guys are going to hit hard in the gaming industry when you decide to get serious.
Posted By: sPlKe

Re: The Realms of Fantasy [old game] - 02/21/10 17:53

id really like to post an old BOA demo, but since it is mostly the work of turrican, i think its only fair if hed be the one to post this here.

edit: yeah dennis you heard that. youre gonna hit hard XD

Re: The Realms of Fantasy [old game] - 02/21/10 18:25

Originally Posted By: Inestical
Believe me, you guys are going to hit hard in the gaming industry when you decide to get serious.

Funny, we both are already in the industry tongue
I am working at Guerrilla Games developed Killzone 2 (hence my nickname, Helghast ;)).
And Lennart worked on Fairytale Fights, and he's got his own company up and running laugh

BTW: for the people that dont know, this was made under A6..
about 5/6 years ago.
Posted By: zeusk

Re: The Realms of Fantasy [old game] - 02/21/10 18:39

Originally Posted By: Helghast
Originally Posted By: Inestical

Funny, we both are already in the industry tongue
I am working at Guerrilla Games developed Killzone 2 (hence my nickname, Helghast ;)).
And Lennart worked on Fairytale Fights, and he's got his own company up and running laugh

BTW: for the people that dont know, this was made under A6..
about 5/6 years ago.
whoa i didnt know that. i love killzone!
Posted By: Damocles_

Re: The Realms of Fantasy [old game] - 02/21/10 18:59

Great Demo. You really had a polished UI and some really nice textures back then.

Just the movement (and Charactermodel, but thats a placeholder anyhow) isnt that great...

Did you use that for your applications in the industry?

Re: The Realms of Fantasy [old game] - 02/21/10 19:07

Originally Posted By: Damocles_
Great Demo. You really had a polished UI and some really nice textures back then.

Just the movement (and Charactermodel, but thats a placeholder anyhow) isnt that great...

Did you use that for your applications in the industry?

Yes, the movement was something we fell over ourself as well wink
that's why we offered 2 movement modes (you can switch that with the Y button).
We spent alot (probably too much back then) of time on the visuals, and getting the feeling (atmosphere, mood, size, environment) right, I still use some panels from that game in my game nowadays laugh

Yes, I did use this as application, but it was not the biggest thing or focus I used to get the job.. It helped I guess though wink

regards,
Posted By: DLively

Re: The Realms of Fantasy [old game] - 02/24/10 01:19

looks very nice! Very Impressive for sure!

As said by someone else, it looks much like Fable, I would know. wink
Very well done for the old engine for sure!! shocked

Also, Good for you, being involved in Killzone2.
Posted By: Doc_Savage

Re: The Realms of Fantasy [old game] - 02/24/10 01:54

wow, the textures work is wonderfully done. did you buy them or make them? if you made them id love to discuss techniques with you sometime, as i dabble in texture creation myself laugh
Posted By: Lennart_hillen

Re: The Realms of Fantasy [old game] - 02/24/10 01:59

Hey Doc, the textures are partially made by me but mostly taken from the internets. Back in the day, I knew very little about texturing and used to rely heavily on the "free" textures posted on Dave Gurrea's website : www.davegh.com

Take a look, there's some interesting stuff to be found! It looks like you're not allowed to use those textures for commercial ends though, so that's something to keep in mind.

Thanks everyone for the positive feedback. It's a lot of fun reading through them seeing as how the project brings back such great memories for me and Dennis! Good times, good times laugh
Posted By: jiegz

Re: The Realms of Fantasy [old game] - 03/05/10 02:25

if you can work that one in a7, i can make characters for you and work on it like a crisis core game! men i like the scenery so much!!!!!!!!!

Re: The Realms of Fantasy [old game] - 03/05/10 08:49

Originally Posted By: jiegz
if you can work that one in a7, i can make characters for you and work on it like a crisis core game! men i like the scenery so much!!!!!!!!!

I AM working on a different RPG myself (completely redone and written from scratch in A7), and am in the need of characters.. maybe you want to PM me some screens of previous works from you, could be pretty cool to work together maybe laugh?

regards,
© 2024 lite-C Forums