PalmBay

Posted By: painkiller

PalmBay - 06/01/11 16:48

PlamBay is a small demo developed by Painkiller. My aim was to make a small demo for AUM 100 providing all source code to show that Gamestudio, together with its new features such as HDR, can really achieve a good looking game.

You are a special forces agent and you are sent to an Island to find an important secret information from the enemy. You will have to eliminate any resistance on the island, and don't forget to use the medkits you will found on the map if you want to stay alive!

CONTROLS

-W,A,S,D Move
-Space Jump
-Left Mouse Shoot
-Right Mouse Aim
-Q Toggle rifle/gun
-Shift Sprint
-R Reload

Credits and Licenses

-Stuff in main folder are made by me or from royality free sources. You can use it on your own projects.
-Thanks to 3Run for enemy Pathfinding.
-Original PalmBay level from Sunset Down Project, use it freely on your projects.
-Enemies and weapons (all the stuff in tgc folder) just for demostration purposes. If you want to use it for your projects, please license it from http://www.thegamecreators.com.
-Fast Action Music by Derail Sane, you can use it freely giving credits.
-Some terrain and level textures are from free CG textures.
-Some crates are from Dexsoft's free barrels and crates modelpack
-Ambient sounds loop and grass sprite by Loopix Project

Screenshots

You will be able to download it in AUM 100.
Posted By: Redeemer

Re: PalmBay - 06/01/11 16:54

The level looks kind of unrealistic and the bloom is way overdone, but otherwise this looks good. Nice job.
Posted By: chrisp1

Re: PalmBay - 06/01/11 17:03

looks very nice laugh
Posted By: darkinferno

Re: PalmBay - 06/01/11 18:18

bad terrain shader honestly, its a decent looking scene. not really great though, if anything, it proves that GS can make more than horrible looking games xD
Posted By: alibaba

Re: PalmBay - 06/01/11 18:33

Don´t be so harsh, i think i looks better than most games here. I am only interested in the Gameplay laugh
Posted By: 3run

Re: PalmBay - 06/01/11 18:43

Dark, dude, really don't be so harsh, this is remake of old (A6) project with A8 (with HDR and other hard spelling words). And it looks good (better than most other project around the forum).
Posted By: tunisod

Re: PalmBay - 06/01/11 18:51

I agree .. plus I'm sure Painkiller has put in a fair amount of work into this project and he's giving it away. It'll make for a very nice AUM 100 contribution.

Awesome job Painkiller.

Re: PalmBay - 06/01/11 19:15

DarkInferno said "more than horrible" meaning it's better than horrible. He wasn't harsh, just factual.

At any rate, I think it'll make a nice contribution to the AUM, especially if you do a good job on the gameplay. But please, turn down the HDR effect...
Posted By: alibaba

Re: PalmBay - 06/01/11 19:38

Ah okay, i misunderstood him then grin

Re: PalmBay - 06/01/11 20:24

lol yep i think it looks good man comeon now, just not great lol tongue most gs games look horrible lol though its one of the best looking shooters seen from gs so far... that still doesnt say alot ^^
Posted By: WretchedSid

Re: PalmBay - 06/01/11 20:36

Too much bloom! Way too much bloom.
In real life you would want to rip your eyes out with so much intense white light everywhere.
Posted By: JibbSmart

Re: PalmBay - 06/01/11 20:46

Have you tried GS's PSSM shadows? I don't know how good they are, but it could add a lot to the scene, and then the bloom would make more sense (although it'd still be a bit much).

Jibb
Posted By: Random

Re: PalmBay - 06/01/11 21:09

You can use that over bloom, for the half dead player.
I meen with that, as more you get damaged, as more you see bloom grin
Posted By: Superku

Re: PalmBay - 06/01/11 21:34

I did not test it, yet, but looks like a pretty good level for testing (except for the overdone HDR/ Bloom) - that's what GStudio is really missing, office.wmb was cool.
Posted By: Slin

Re: PalmBay - 06/01/11 21:44

Change the fog.
The color doesn´t fit, and it also seems too close to me.

Re: PalmBay - 06/01/11 22:23

Thanks for your suggests. I will try to play more with HDR values. About using PSSM: I tried it but the frame-rate was horrible, so I decided just to use poison-blurred stencil shadows.
Posted By: Pappenheimer

Re: PalmBay - 06/01/11 22:31

Considering the short timeframe that you had to make it, it is a great contribution - provided the code works smooth - what I supppose! wink
I guess you know all the details that could have been polished, anyway.
Maybe, its a good base for polishing it up to a level close to Süpercan.
Maybe, some of the community like to improve something in one way or another when its out... laugh
Posted By: JibbSmart

Re: PalmBay - 06/01/11 22:35

I think you should reduce the blur of the stencil shadows, then. It's hard to tell from the screenshots that there are even shadows at all.

IMO there should only be a little blur, if you really want some.

Jibb
Posted By: ratchet

Re: PalmBay - 06/01/11 22:37

bad terrain shader honestly

I think it uses simple multi texture shader, so the look of terrain is not the fault of the shader laugh

Perhaps the sand is too simple and the beach neeeds lot of little stones here and here, perhaps use a more detailled and varied sand texture ?
My taste only : the plants near the beach would need some shadows or simple grass texture under them, they seem a little out of place !

The game looks a lot like this old one , good !

Well use sand texture with noise on it ?

Posted By: lostclimate

Re: PalmBay - 06/02/11 02:44

it looks like what it is.. and what it was intended to be. Its a 5 year old level with new textures and an updated rendering engine. its the same as those quake mods you see with updated rendering techniques. maybe not beautiful, but kinda cool to see. and as mentioned it is a study in the difference and the longevity in a well made project. some people are still impressed with it 5 years later.

EDIT: although in all fairness, crysis came out in 2007 only one year later... and uh....wellllll:/

Re: PalmBay - 06/02/11 04:42

- i think the fog colour is fine, its just too strong, should be more like the last pic in ratchets above post

- now that i see it, terrain shader may be fine, may be the tiling is too small though ?

- bad plant textures but i know youre no artist so cant say much

- maybe try to enable decal shadows for everythng? how does that look? hows the fps ?

- hdr tweaks

we're just trying to make it better, not saying you havent done a great job thus far
Posted By: the_clown

Re: PalmBay - 06/02/11 08:46

Indeed one of the best looking shooter projects I've seen here so far. Cool to see what can be achieved with A8 and an handful of good resources. I have no doubt the coding work matches the visuals, so I'm looking forward to AUM100 to play this.
Posted By: Roel

Re: PalmBay - 06/02/11 08:58

maybe an implementation of HeelX's ssao can help the visuals even more tongue
Posted By: HeelX

Re: PalmBay - 06/02/11 09:05

Yeah, could work, but then he would have to use an alpha testing material on the foliage/grass, then.

Re: PalmBay - 06/02/11 12:21

Thanks for your suggests, I really appreciate them. I've been working on this for one week in my free time, but I want to achieve the best result in the time I have.

About stencil-blurred shadows, I'm using the minimum blur value, but as trees use transparency channel they can't cast a shadow, but enemies, rocks... are casting shadows. About using just decal shadows, I don't get the point why to do that?

About SSAO, I don't know if I have to do something special for transparent parts, if yes, that would be a lot of work and I don't have enough time.

After playing with HDR and Fog I achieved this result, what do you think? (right click->open in new tab to see at full size)

Posted By: Dark_samurai

Re: PalmBay - 06/02/11 12:57

Looks much better! I like it laugh

But PSSM shadows are a MUST HAVE for this scene. Please try to get them running, maybe add an option to enable/disable them for people with slow machines. But I think with PSSM shadows it will look 50% better laugh (but it's already VERY COOL!!!)

Re: PalmBay - 06/02/11 13:54

It was already great dude, but now it's awesome!!!
Posted By: Dark_samurai

Re: PalmBay - 06/02/11 14:02

Btw. do you have shorelines for the sea?

Re: PalmBay - 06/02/11 14:17

doubt it has shorelines, though i did see a shoreline entity in the level when i looked at it so maybe hes using that ?

i suggested decal shadows because the previous shots really needed something to break the emptiness of the scene, this newer shot wouldnt need it however

better but i think the fog start should be closer. i think we should be able to see the slight fade of fog on those distant object bt be careful with it though

i dont think theres much more you can do to have this looking better outside the use of shaders, normalmapping and shadows, for now its looks pretty good

[EDIT]

btw, changing the theme of the level to say something more gloomy, like with an overcast sky, would result in you getting away without shadows wink

Re: PalmBay - 06/02/11 14:36

This is MUCH better, in fact it's starting to look quite good! Add some nice shadows and it will be perfect. laugh

I also suggest that you let users with weaker hardware turn down the effects with a few button presses. All the effects should default ON, though.

EDIT: These screens look nice, but I also implore you to write a good, smooth player movement script to go with it. ALL movements -- including the movements of the gun -- should be realistic, smooth, and well animated to give the best effect.

Re: PalmBay - 06/02/11 16:17

I've tried again with PSSM shadows but it's impossible to get them working. The frame-rate is <10 FPS even testing on a high-end pc, and it doesn't give good results. Changing the theme of the level now would probably require to change lots of things.

About shorelines, they are dynamic together with sea.

I will put three different graphics quality options, and also a walktrough mode.

Don't worry about movement or animations, I think they are smooth and good-looking.

Re: PalmBay - 06/02/11 16:40

theme ? wouldnt it just be changing the level ambient, sunlight, skybox ? lol well no problem, just a suggestion to reduce your workload, current quality isnt bad

what i dont like though is that the HDR only seems obvious on the white sky background, would be cool to see it on some of the models i guess, but idk... may be pretty tricky to tweak
Posted By: Machinery_Frank

Re: PalmBay - 06/02/11 18:57

A scene with a bright sun like this does not make much sense without shadows. So if you cant get shadows working, then make it a gray overcast day. When the sun is covered by clouds then the complete sky casts scattered light and no real shadows appear, only some ambient occlusion. With such a weather you could get away without shadows. Everything else will look like a fake.

Re: PalmBay - 06/02/11 19:24

thats what i was suggesting ^^

Re: PalmBay - 06/02/11 20:45

ok, this is with an overcast-sunrise weather:

Re: PalmBay - 06/02/11 20:50

This really reminds me of first far cry laugh you've done great work

Re: PalmBay - 06/02/11 20:51

ok we're definately heading somewhere now, lol this is now pretty damn good looking, play with the fog and i think we may have a close winner wink

[EDIT]
think the weapon is zoomed out a bit much tho
Posted By: Iglarion

Re: PalmBay - 06/02/11 20:56

I like what i see here! Great work! Really reminds of the first Far Cry wink.
Posted By: Rondidon

Re: PalmBay - 06/03/11 06:25

Hey Slin, where`s your criticism about the Sunset Down assets now? laugh
Looks great, you`re really getting in the direction of Far Cry.

You really should ask Hummel for his "Wavefield" script. It would match more than perfectly to the setting. The water from wavefield is the best I`ve ever seen along with Crysis. And the lightrays (+shadows?) would match, too. Link: http://www.opserver.de/coni_users/web_users/pirvu/au/demo/zips/wavefield.zip

Re: PalmBay - 06/03/11 10:49

Wavefield doesn't work on my PC, I see just a black screen, but my graphics card supports PS 4.1.

Re: PalmBay - 06/03/11 14:06

Hey, love that last shot. This is really getting somewhere.

This demo isn't going to have any enemies, is it? This would be a perfect demo to show off something like Intense X, if only that still existed. wink

Re: PalmBay - 06/03/11 14:18

Originally Posted By: Redeemer
Hey, love that last shot. This is really getting somewhere.

This demo isn't going to have any enemies, is it? This would be a perfect demo to show off something like Intense X, if only that still existed. wink

Yes, there are enemies, but as the map is really small don't expect a long game, maybe it will take less than 3 min to complete.
Posted By: tzw

Re: PalmBay - 06/03/11 14:59

very nice!

Re: PalmBay - 06/03/11 15:25

3 minutes ? why ? bad AI ? lol, thought this island was huge ^^

Re: PalmBay - 06/03/11 15:32

Originally Posted By: darkinferno
3 minutes ? why ? bad AI ? lol, thought this island was huge ^^

the map isn't very big and there is a lot of empty spaces, so or you kill fast the enemy or you die fast grin

Re: PalmBay - 06/03/11 16:05

oh, what about making it a survival with a top score, AI has infinite respawns ? that should increase the lifetime significantly
Posted By: TheShooter

Re: PalmBay - 06/03/11 16:09

Yeah make a round based survival Shooter. Maybe Zombies? Ninja Zombies? xD

Re: PalmBay - 06/03/11 16:21

The project should be sent tomorrow to George and I have already placed all enemies and created their paths, so changing to a survival is not an option at this point.
Posted By: HaX0r

Re: PalmBay - 06/05/11 08:58

I have 2 questions:
1. Can u give me plz the models? I REALLY like them. Thats 100% what i need for my online ego shooter grin I didnt find them on fpscreator website frown

2. U made a game called "Assault!". There are cool weapon models + a soldier. I trid to make the bones holding the gun but it looks just terrible frown. Plz help me with this.

EDIT: U need some coders for ur game? I wanna help u =)

Re: PalmBay - 06/05/11 09:08

HaX0r! This thread isn't about your personal needs! PM him if you need something, don't use his projects topic! Models are here, and you need to but them as he did! This is your first post on forum, do you really expect someone to share for free commercial models and hire you as a programmer for game? Are u nuts? And I don't think that you can use models (cool weapon models + a soldier) from Assault! in you needs! You need to ask "painkiller" first!
Posted By: Machinery_Frank

Re: PalmBay - 06/05/11 09:16

Originally Posted By: HaX0r
I have 2 questions:
1. Can u give me plz the models? I REALLY like them.

Please be careful with these models and textures. The problem is that there was a team member who ripped lots of models and textures from other games and so it is really hard to say what content is clean in the end. Consider it as infected and thus not suited for any real project.

Re: PalmBay - 06/05/11 11:48

You will be able to access full source code in Aum 100. Weapon and enemy models as I said in first post can only be used if you buy them from thegamecreators.com (same for Assault! ones)

Models from PalmBay level should be used just for demonstration or personal projects, because their origin is not reliable.

Re: PalmBay - 06/05/11 12:15

cant you add the weapon models to WRS ?

Re: PalmBay - 06/05/11 12:26

I don't own pro version
Posted By: WretchedSid

Re: PalmBay - 06/05/11 12:27

Ask George or someone else if he packs it for you, its perfectly legal to have others pack your stuff as long as they have a legal Pro version.
Posted By: HaX0r

Re: PalmBay - 06/05/11 13:28

When the aum100 will be released?
If not this week can u send me the AUM source (models) plz?
I dont wanna sell a game from it. I just wanna make a multiplayer shooter like css for me and my friends frown
Posted By: Rei_Ayanami

Re: PalmBay - 06/05/11 13:39

Buy CS 1.6
Have Fun
????
Profit!
Posted By: Random

Re: PalmBay - 06/05/11 17:53

Headshot, Headshot, Headshot.
When you play cs 1.6 and hear 3 times headshot, the aum100 will be finished.

Re: PalmBay - 06/09/11 20:37

link just sent to George
Posted By: Christoph_B

Re: PalmBay - 09/29/11 00:30

Originally Posted By: painkiller
Models from PalmBay level should be used just for demonstration or personal projects, because their origin is not reliable.

lots of them were made by me (palmtrees, crane, fences, dock stairs and lights, Weapons (Colt M4, Desert Eagle, XM8) etc.), but i don't know about all of them.
© 2024 lite-C Forums