Outrun by Winter

Posted By: Joozey

Outrun by Winter - 06/24/11 20:39

... a story from the darkest days.

Don't look back.
Never stand still.

Download the story here:
http://www.joozey.nl/3dgs/outrun_by_winter/

I'd like to hear your opinion; what was scary, what was not, what was annoying, what was hilarious.
Any bugs?

For the screenshot whores:

Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Outrun by Winter - 06/24/11 21:03

it's a real good feeling!
Why that short?

Re: Outrun by Winter - 06/24/11 21:04

It took me 1.5 weeks to make this tongue I was quite done with it now ^^.

Re: Outrun by Winter - 06/24/11 21:07

What i meant - this is a real good game.
Just too short.

I left the bunker, found the way to the ghost, entered the hollow blocks and died.
There is much more potential in this idea!!

Re: Outrun by Winter - 06/24/11 21:10

Perhaps you should try not to die there then tongue

Re: Outrun by Winter - 06/24/11 21:11

So it's more an action game than a scary one?
[but in the end you inspired me - thanx]

Re: Outrun by Winter - 06/24/11 21:19

Action? It's an adventure, and sometimes you need to face fear to find your way out ^^.
You're welcome, I was inspired by the NDS homebrew game Maze of Apocrypha and White Walkers wink.
Posted By: DLively

Re: Outrun by Winter - 06/24/11 21:20

I got glitched!! tongue
I can't move from this spot; I thought I could go around the block.. but I got stuck in the corner of the levels bounding area...

and I cant figure out what to do... XD

Im gunna try again tongue

edit: I figured out where to go tongue I don't like that I cant walk backwards tho tongue

Re: Outrun by Winter - 06/24/11 21:21

Yeah reload, there are some spots where the player gets stuck for unknown reason. I couldn't fix it, just don't hug too many walls and trees and you'll be fine grin. Yay 3dgs collision detection.

Re: Outrun by Winter - 06/24/11 21:29

SPOILER ALERT:

DO NOT KEEP READING THIS IF YOU HAVE NOT PLAYED YET..

K so I got to the part where there is a dead end.. and then the ghost apears, and then I enjoyed the scariness of it getting closer and closer.. then I died tongue Gunna try again... XD
Posted By: chrisp1

Re: Outrun by Winter - 06/24/11 21:40

I dont know how i did it but last time i played i found a secret way out of this area

NICE GAME laugh

Re: Outrun by Winter - 06/24/11 21:43

>_> until they swallow you awhole.. is that the end? I couldnt move forward at that point.

And I must say: Damn.. that's F-in scary shit. Me and my wife were shaking in our boots from the time the ghost slowly apears, up until the time I died.

Very well done. The sound effects are great and so are the darkness effects.

I really like the story! Its well established. The way you word your story is amazing... However; is there a plot to your story? How did I end up in such a scary place? (Is it cause I didnt finish the game?)

anyway - I like it! Good job!

Re: Outrun by Winter - 06/24/11 21:46

The end is summer...

The story is not so sophisticated, and I made it as I went. I guess it's a decent ending and conclusion. Judge for yourself though!
Great to hear people are getting frightened grin.
Posted By: 3run

Re: Outrun by Winter - 06/24/11 22:26

Short but well done, I liked it.
Posted By: painkiller

Re: Outrun by Winter - 06/24/11 22:27

cool and a bit strange grin
Posted By: Hummel

Re: Outrun by Winter - 06/24/11 22:29

Nice piece of art.

The game should run in fullscreene, it kills some of the atmosphere to have all the other stuff around the window.

EDIT: Year, finished it! laugh

Re: Outrun by Winter - 06/24/11 22:44

Congrats Hummel grin
Thanks for the positives.
After playing it a million times myself I couldnt tell whats scary and whats annoying anymore. I'm happy to hear most of you get scared and are able to finish/progress laugh.
Posted By: Sajeth

Re: Outrun by Winter - 06/24/11 23:21

this gave me the creeps, man. not cool.
Posted By: Myrkling

Re: Outrun by Winter - 06/25/11 00:05

I like the lack of contrast in the colors you used. The scene almost feels like it was frozen, there are hardly any dynamics. It's a weird remote area and one feels somewhat lost in there. Trees everywhere, like walls.

One annoying thing: There's always a small lag when a sound is played (e.g. one of the monster sounds).
At least for me.

And I don't know how to beat this game. Along the lines of "never stand still" I just ran into the Tunnel Creeper and died.
Posted By: Stromausfall

Re: Outrun by Winter - 06/25/11 08:31

great game - but haven't beaten it yet !
the consistent look of the game is convincing and the sounds are great ! the 'narration bar' on the bottom is a great idea and adds so much to the atmosphere ! Overall the game gives (for me) the impression that it was a AAA game (i mean.... look at what's happening in the hallway !) in its time (somewhere back in '97) !
Posted By: Joey

Re: Outrun by Winter - 06/25/11 17:53

Seriously? If I run that game, at first my graphics driver crash and then I get a bluescreen.

Re: Outrun by Winter - 06/25/11 17:55

I know the game looks like from '97, but that doesn't mean you can run it with your Hercules videocard tongue.

Re: Outrun by Winter - 06/25/11 21:47

but I've overclocked it to 512 MW and RAM and 80 GB memory and I pressed the turbo button!

Re: Outrun by Winter - 06/29/11 11:13

grin I guess the turbo button broke the ambience of the game then, resulting in a BSOD. Or did you forgot to update daylight saving time in regedit?

In all seriousness, I have no idea what causes my game to trigger your video card to BSOD. I didn't do anything fancy. You have no problems with any other 3DGS game?

@Myrkling and stromausfall: thanks for the feedback! The game was indeed made with simple techniques that looks fun/nice/interesting like they did back in '97. I hear many confusing feedback about the rotating sprite trees :P, but nothing specifically negative about it. Have you beaten it by now? (did you find the summer?).

Regards,
Joozey
Posted By: Myrkling

Re: Outrun by Winter - 06/29/11 13:35

Originally Posted By: Joozey
Have you beaten it by now? (did you find the summer?).

Nope, summer is still long in coming.
Vague hints appreciated!

Re: Outrun by Winter - 06/29/11 13:38

In the tunnel, face your fear but dodge it when you find the chance.

Re: Outrun by Winter - 06/29/11 14:45

I've not tried any other 3DGS games as of yet. I guess my video card is overheating sometimes.
Posted By: Roel

Re: Outrun by Winter - 06/29/11 17:17

nice game, the ambience is great, I just don't know where to run grin
Originally Posted By: joozey
Have you beaten it by now? (did you find the summer?).

nop, I got past the tunnel, and there I just ran until there were no more trees.
And... then I died. whistle

Re: Outrun by Winter - 06/29/11 19:48

Beyond the edge is their world, they will drive you into it, but don't give in.

Re: Outrun by Winter - 06/29/11 20:14

Is there a way to save/load? :<

Re: Outrun by Winter - 06/29/11 20:43

No, there isn't.

Re: Outrun by Winter - 06/30/11 14:06

gnah

Re: Outrun by Winter - 06/30/11 19:04

Weird thought, but since I can't play it I can't try. How about setting your system clock during gameplay 6 months to the future? Maybe that solves it wink
Posted By: JibbSmart

Re: Outrun by Winter - 06/30/11 19:08

I'm not normally one for video walkthroughs, but now that I've had about a dozen attempts at beating the game I'd really appreciate one laugh

Good atmosphere! I jumped a few times on my first attempt!

Jibb

Re: Outrun by Winter - 06/30/11 21:05

Thanks laugh perhaps I should have put in more helpful hints. But I've given two here at the key places where most people get stuck. Where are you stuck?
© 2024 lite-C Forums