Cel Shading on Level Geometry?

Posted By: ViolentVibrator

Cel Shading on Level Geometry? - 07/06/04 08:25

Is there any way to acheive a cel shading effect on level geometry? Like black lines rendered on edges, etc.

thanks,
trav
Posted By: blaaaaa

Re: Cel Shading on Level Geometry? - 07/06/04 08:35

although its not a shader, maybe you could make a "border" out of black blocks but that would be a loooot of work

Re: Cel Shading on Level Geometry? - 07/06/04 09:27

Hehe that would be so much portals though! I have a small town for the map.. I bet it wouldnt even compile hehe. Im thinking of putting black lines on all the textures.. see how that looks.. thanks for the reply man,

peace
Posted By: blaaaaa

Re: Cel Shading on Level Geometry? - 07/06/04 09:41

youre right, black lines in the texture i guess thats a good idea, but you would have to align the texture on each block manually, wouldnt you ? thats quite much work, either ^^

Re: Cel Shading on Level Geometry? - 07/06/04 10:55

yessum.. but i have many nifty tricks in my magical sack young jedi :-D
Posted By: HeelX

Re: Cel Shading on Level Geometry? - 07/07/04 05:06

SOLUTION:

1.) import a part of your map (for example a house) in MED
2.) do some work on vertices when needed, delete surfaces in inner blocks
3.) export to 3ds
4.) load it in Milkshape
5.) select all vertices and do the fat-boy-tool method
6.) reload it in MED
7.) flip normals
8.) do a black skin, save as mdl
9.) reload in WED as mdl. its the same size (a bit bigger caused by the milkshape manipulation) as your originally map part. Pose it and make it passable. NO OVERLAY!!!

Sincerly
Christian Behrenberg

BTW: you mean OUTLINING. Celshading could be done by special painting the textures.
Posted By: Lutz_Tewes

Re: Cel Shading on Level Geometry? - 07/07/04 08:25

This method is a lot of work and I donīt think it will look very good.
You will get a wonderfull z-buffer-problem, all edges will dance around
in a distance. To solve it, you have to change clip_near to a higher value
so you can look threw the walls next to you.

But anyway, here a some remarks to make it a little bit easier:
3)do not export to 3ds, export to md2!
your model will not be rotated and keeps its size.
6)save it as milkshape.asc and be shure to scale it 1(!!!)when you
import it into med.

Thatīs the best way for exporting and importing models without loosing
orientation, zeropoint or scaling.

I agree with Christian, better work it out with your textures...

Re: Cel Shading on Level Geometry? - 07/07/04 21:23

Hello Lutz, nice to hear you again.

In parallel to my suggested method I can only say that I've made some parts of a map outlined an it looks quite impressive.

I suggest to try it out.

Sincerly
Christian Behrenberg

Re: Cel Shading on Level Geometry? - 07/09/04 04:42

alright.. well what if the player is only seeing a max ammount of 4 houses at a time? that shouldnt cause problems should it? thanks in advance for the help.. again..

Re: Cel Shading on Level Geometry? - 07/09/04 04:47

well there are other models also, he may see mailboxes, trees, light poles and cars, then other entitys...

Re: Cel Shading on Level Geometry? - 07/09/04 06:13

Many users falsely think that for rendering the polygons, every polygon has to be calculated whom occur in a model. However A5/6 actually only render the visible ones. Backface polygons of one entity are'nt renderd. However solid polygons, which lie behind others (e.g.: of 2 different entities) are rendered nevertheless. Because of this you become in the worst case the polygoncount of your basis model for outlining plus the base model. If you use e.g. 200 polygons for your house you maximally get 200 rendered polygons for outlining AND rendering. Since we speak here of level architecture you can even save polygons when the bsptree deletes unseen polygons of blocks of your house. In addition you can save additionally polygonrendering if you mark all block surfaces as render = none, which are not to be seen. In fact you should not experience large performance break-downs if you already have a mid-polygoncount on average machines.

I hope this helps.

Good night to everyone
Christian Behrenberg
© 2024 lite-C Forums