Norrmal Mapping Tech Demo #2

Posted By: Drew

Norrmal Mapping Tech Demo #2 - 07/11/04 18:46

A new demo showing normal mapping...
Its a torso model that is 700 polys from an original 300,000. The map is screwed up, but I believe the effect is obvious... Gives the illusion of many polys, when in reality his chest and abs are flat and flat colored... The shader code is from Matt Aufderheide...(Thanks!)
This is the demo that will be included with the tutorial Im working on for applying perpixel shading and creating Normal maps for it... This demo is very raw and obviously flawed, Im having a tough time with smoothing groups and/or texture baking the maps (seams and hard edges)...

Get it and the Tutorial here...
Tutorial and Demo

Posted By: metal

Re: Norrmal Mapping Tech Demo #2 - 07/11/04 19:22

looks really great, cant run it right now, cause of my old pc, but i ll test it tomorrow. nice to know that you are making a tutorial for this
Posted By: hourousha

Re: Norrmal Mapping Tech Demo #2 - 07/11/04 23:43

poly-bump,huh?
apply normal mapping with offset mapping will take a better result.
Posted By: pocorev

Re: Norrmal Mapping Tech Demo #2 - 07/11/04 23:49

wow... this is really getting interesing.
"...seams and hard edges..."
even so, this shader biz is promising to shake things up BigTime!

thanks again for sharing your progress with us 'mere mortals'
Posted By: blaaaaa

Re: Norrmal Mapping Tech Demo #2 - 07/12/04 01:03

wtf why are you talking of polybump ? isnt that a crytek-technique that has nothing to do with 3dgs ?

Re: Norrmal Mapping Tech Demo #2 - 07/12/04 01:42

poly-bump is just per-pixel lighting with normal map,right?
some additional tech like offset-mapping will make it look better.
Posted By: Buluen

Re: Norrmal Mapping Tech Demo #2 - 07/12/04 02:52

awesome stuff drew, im eagerly awaiting your tutorial. And those cwazy boxes dont show up on your demo that show up on all your splash images ( maybe you didnt put them in? I dunno)

Re: Norrmal Mapping Tech Demo #2 - 07/12/04 03:43

yeah thats strange, they are supposed to be there, they were to show Newton physics and perpixel working together... Wait until I attach a per pixel light source to a light on a chain with projected shadows...

Working on the tutorial now, hard part is that the technique Im using is a work in progress, so Im hoping the tutorial will be open to improvement by everyone...

Polybump refers to two things...
1) The crytek tool for normal mapping , which actually does a fantastic job in the normal mapping pipeline, but its a Demo. Otherwise it would be a key part of my tutorial....
2) Polybump is another name for bump mapping and normal mapping, based on crytek's tech descriptions. Most likely the first time people are learning about the tech, nice how crytek mangaed to angle it that way, smart...
Posted By: William

Re: Norrmal Mapping Tech Demo #2 - 07/12/04 06:54

It looks great! One bad thing is that my frame rate was around 46 the whole time... dont know why? Otherwise, i'm really looking forward to your tutorial.

Re: Norrmal Mapping Tech Demo #2 - 07/12/04 08:16

"Im having a tough time with smoothing groups and/or texture baking the maps (seams and hard edges)... "

Found the fix, better Normal mapping tool...

Re: Norrmal Mapping Tech Demo #2 - 07/12/04 08:43

Hi,Drew,could you make a tool for generating 'tangent space height map'by compare a low-poly with a high-poly model?
Posted By: Julius

Re: Norrmal Mapping Tech Demo #2 - 07/12/04 08:49

Cool. Looks great. Despite the hard edges and dodginess, it is very, very easy to see the great effects. Good to see that this one has a fps counter on it. Runs at ~11fps for me... strange. Last one ran really smooth.
Ah well.

Julian

PS: My birthday is on the calendar, and though my name doesn't have a birthday cake next to it, because of different time zones, here, today it's my birthday! Turned 15!
Halo 2 Pre-ordered!
Posted By: Steempipe

Re: Norrmal Mapping Tech Demo #2 - 07/12/04 08:51

Demo is great, Drew.

Happy B-day Julian!
Posted By: William

Re: Norrmal Mapping Tech Demo #2 - 07/12/04 09:09

I am guessing the poor framerate is due to the levels bad design. There is quite a bit of seams.

Re: Norrmal Mapping Tech Demo #2 - 07/12/04 09:19

Theres a Physics problem killing the framerate...
Also, everything you see is an entity, with allot of polys, jammed together... The killers are the boxes that are falling through the floors, something wrong with Newton setup... Im also very curious how the framerate is going to hold up in A6, hopefully soon you will have your own examples

I updated the demo, the model is smoother, the junk you see is the slapped on texture... I'll make something better...

hourousha - I'm not tool designer, But I will link to all the needed tools. There are so many ways to make Normal maps, and many tools...My technique just makes them work with 3Dmax... Hopefully others will adapt methods for various modelling programs...

Re: Norrmal Mapping Tech Demo #2 - 07/16/05 23:34

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This tutorial/link/demo is no longer supported.
Please no requests for help or links, I dont have the
files... sorry to let this go, but I havent used GS in
about 8 months, and lost my files...
thanks
Drew

© 2024 lite-C Forums