can anyone send me to a simple shader tutorial?

Posted By: jarrod1937

can anyone send me to a simple shader tutorial? - 04/14/05 12:03

i know modeling, textureing and how to do special textureing fx, but one thing i'm really weak in is scripting/programming. my work is below, i mainly modded for morrowind but my friend and i have decided to make our own game, and i'm currently trying to learn C-script and hopefully java after that.
Link#1
Link#2
link#3
Link#4
anyways, my point is si that i'm pretty experienced with everything else, however i suck with programming, i can't even follow the intro to hlsl shaders on the forums.
can someone point me to soem easy shader programming tutorials that require no past experience to follow?
Posted By: xoNoid

Re: can anyone send me to a simple shader tutorial? - 04/14/05 16:40

There are some shader tutorials around however I'll need to know your A6 version to tell you which ones to get.

Re: can anyone send me to a simple shader tutorial? - 04/14/05 17:03

i have version 6.1

Re: can anyone send me to a simple shader tutorial? - 04/14/05 17:08

or version 6.2, wheni go to information, it tell me i have verison 6.2 but in the help it says "help for version 6.1", so i'm not sure exactly.
Posted By: Matt_Aufderheide

Re: can anyone send me to a simple shader tutorial? - 04/14/05 17:40

As is known, 6.2 is commonly refered to as the 'warez' version, if you have a legitamate version, simply upgrade it to the newest version. If not, buy it.

Re: can anyone send me to a simple shader tutorial? - 04/15/05 11:54

well i figured it out, i have verison 6.1. how much do upgrades cost?
Posted By: wildcard

Re: can anyone send me to a simple shader tutorial? - 04/16/05 01:34

Upgrades to the latest version is at this moment free and can be downloaded from http://www.conitec.net/a4update.htm if you have the correct username and password which you have if you have a legal version.

Wildcard

Re: can anyone send me to a simple shader tutorial? - 04/18/05 11:45

well thats cool, now can you guys send me to soem good tutorials?

Re: can anyone send me to a simple shader tutorial? - 04/18/05 14:39

so you've updated? Because 6.1 doesnt have shaders at all.

Re: can anyone send me to a simple shader tutorial? - 04/18/05 20:15

yes

Re: can anyone send me to a simple shader tutorial? - 04/18/05 20:38

Introduction to HLSL shaders

Simple Pixel shader tutorial

Programming Vertex shaders

Programming Pixel shaders

If you are new to 3d gamestudio or games development (from scratch not just MODS). Then I suggest that you dont get into shaders right away. I still havent got my head around shaders because they are very complicated and require alot of maths (something Im not good at ). I suggest you learn how to do the basics first before you try to learn shaders. After all they are just eye candy and dont really add anything of gameplay value

Re: can anyone send me to a simple shader tutorial? - 04/18/05 20:54

well, you see my friend and i are making the game, however i'm in charge of the graphics and level design, so... even though shaders are just eye candy, its part of my job department. and don't worry, i'm pretty good with math. whats the highest level of math that shader require?
Posted By: Matt_Aufderheide

Re: can anyone send me to a simple shader tutorial? - 04/19/05 04:42

you should have a general understanding of vector and matrix operations, also how to generate a cross product, and what a dot product operation can do. That said, you can do quite a lot of neat stuff without knowing any of this. The important thing is to understand the theory of what you are trying to do. if you want to make a per pixel lighting shader, you should read the theory behind lighting models..however its all generally well understood now, so you can just find an example. I have managed to create a whole suite of shaders by using various samples and modifying and rewriting them. Other than that, you should have an idea of how programming works. If you plan on using HLSL instead of assembly, some general C++ knowledge is good, because they are related. Then of course you will need some Direct3D references.
© 2024 lite-C Forums