Parallax Mapping + Projection's shadow

Posted By: Chris3D

Parallax Mapping + Projection's shadow - 04/23/05 13:16

Hi! I linked Matt's parallax-shader with the projection-shader:

I want to make fake dynamic shadows with the projection shader but there are some problems to fix:

- there should be shadows for each column, so every shadow is controlled by a single camera VIEW.
- the backside projection should be removed.(not so important)
- a biasfilter should smooth the shadow if the light object leaves a column.(not so important)
- combine the camera.views with "render to textur" and make "real time shadows".(maybe later)

It would be great, if you can help me to fix these problems!

I have not so much time for that, because I am working on a ragdoll system which is free for you: Free Ragdoll system

Here is the level with the script and fx files: Part1 Part2 Part3 Part4 (I removed the left wall)

Sorry for the bad English or Germish
Greetings
Chris

Re: Parallax Mapping + Projection's shadow - 04/24/05 13:39

Bevor ihr mir fragen dazu stellt, bitte erstmal das script+level downloaden:
Before asking me questions download the level + script:
Part1 Part2 Part3 Part4
Please download all parts, you need winrar to unpack it.
Cu chris

Re: Parallax Mapping + Projection's shadow - 04/27/05 15:52

any help, any reply????

Re: Parallax Mapping + Projection's shadow - 04/30/05 16:37

hello???

Re: Parallax Mapping + Projection's shadow - 04/30/05 17:02

ok,ok, das einzige was ich von euch shader profis wissen will, ist ja nur wie ich die projezierte textur per pixel- oder vertex-shader bewegen kann, ist das zuviel verlangt?
Posted By: Matt_Aufderheide

Re: Parallax Mapping + Projection's shadow - 04/30/05 17:04

Bascially you can't make dynamic shadows just using this projection shader this way. You need to render a depth map and then use that to make your shadows in a shader. There is however another way..along with a shader that makes them render as black sillouettes against a white background you can render six views(of just the entities that cast shadows) from the light position to make a cubemap, then apply this cubemap projectively and multiplied.

Re: Parallax Mapping + Projection's shadow - 05/03/05 11:40

the "other way" doesn't sound badly!
it would be nice if somebody could make a shader that displays everything in white and only the objects which should get a shadow are displayed in black! Than, you render the view to a cubemap and display it with the projection shader! The only problem is the backside projection! I don't know how to remove that effect. Maybe somebody like "ello" could do this job for us, I would pay anyone who could make it!
cu chris
Posted By: ello

Re: Parallax Mapping + Projection's shadow - 05/03/05 18:52

if only i could render a realtime-cubemap into a texture (at reasonable peeds).. mmmh that would be nice.but i cant

and btw, it would be cooler to have the stencil shadow as a separate material to apply shader there. you could then use displacement or softing to it.

Re: Parallax Mapping + Projection's shadow - 05/04/05 10:56

well, i think the "Zeraphine X3" can render a realtime cubemap, but your right, editing the stencil shadow would be an easier solution...we should ask jcl for that...
thx, chris

Re: Parallax Mapping + Projection's shadow - 05/19/05 14:26

Hi! Ich wollte nur noch anmerken, dass der parallax code also die "parallax.fx" datei eigentlich nicht wirklich parallax mapping ist, da die heightmap, wie ich feststellen musste nur die textur verzerrt und das displacement mapping damit nicht das Wahre ist. Vielleicht kann sich jemand nochmal den code anschauen, es hängt ja alles vom "const float HeightScale=..." Wert ab.
Posted By: Samb

Re: Parallax Mapping + Projection's shadow - 05/19/05 16:13

ja das stimmt
der code macht nur eine art optische täuschung aber der echte effekt das bei der kameradrehung sich die textur ebenfalls so ausrichtet ist nicht vorhanden
ich frag mich oft ob sowas in 3DGS überhaupt möglich ist ^^
Posted By: Matt_Aufderheide

Re: Parallax Mapping + Projection's shadow - 05/19/05 16:42

Quote:

it would be cool to have the stencil shadow as a separate material to apply shader there. you could then use displacement or softing to it.

I've suggested this before, but is it possible? my understanding is that the stencil buffer is just drawn onto a transparent screen aligned quad.. but is is true, and could you access this as a texture? my suspicion is that no, this cant be done, simply because i've never seen it in any other game. Since it seems such an obvious way to get soft shadows, i have to assume it's impossible.
Posted By: ello

Re: Parallax Mapping + Projection's shadow - 05/20/05 06:56

yes, but if it is a screenaligned quad this must have a skin and thus must be able to be manipulated.
simple soft shadows should be possible, no accurate distance dependent shadows. i think the shadow system must be updated. in the shaderX2 and X3 there are some reasonable examples how to do this
© 2024 lite-C Forums