Applying shaders to a whole level.

Posted By: FoxHound

Applying shaders to a whole level. - 07/23/05 10:49

Is there a way to apply a shader to level gemeotry of a whole level?

Thanks
Posted By: mk_1

Re: Applying shaders to a whole level. - 07/23/05 12:08

The predefined materials mat_flat and mat_shaded can be used to apply a shader to level geometry. Use effect_load(mat_shaded,"you_effect.fx");
Posted By: FoxHound

Re: Applying shaders to a whole level. - 07/24/05 04:57

Thank you kindly.
Posted By: Specterdragon

Re: Applying shaders to a whole level. - 08/16/05 22:43

So as a shader noobie... Does this mean that only 2 materials can be defined for level geometry? IOW: I can't have one for concrete (like sidewalks), one for windows, one for metals (lamp posts, mailboxes, etc), and one for brick walls (with parallax mapping) - that would be 4, but I can think of others.

So the rest have to be in model formats? hrmm...

OK... another question:
If using a MAP file, does the entire object get the shader (since it's effectivly an entity)?

One more and I'll be done for now :
Shading level geometry, what decides if it will be mat_flat or mat_shaded? Since it's geometry, it can't be assigned properties like that, can it?
Posted By: Steempipe

Re: Applying shaders to a whole level. - 08/16/05 22:59

For your fist question... You can assign seperate FX files to anything you want to.

For example; By using the d3d_automaterial var, and by creating materials that are named as your textures in the WED texture manager, you can have control over them.

Code:

WAD Tex name Material name
lamppost_tex lamppost_tex
stonewall_tex stonewall_tex
tabooidol_tex tabooidol_tex
etc, etc

** I put a tutorial in the WIKI for doing the level geo. It is in the Titorial section under Effects.

Eric
Posted By: Specterdragon

Re: Applying shaders to a whole level. - 08/17/05 01:51

excellent.. i'll take a look

I did manage to figure out changing the fixed materials (flat, shaded, etc) per surface on level geo ... Guess I never had a need to dig that deeply into WED
© 2024 lite-C Forums