[REQ] Normal Mapping Images...

Posted By: xXxGuitar511

[REQ] Normal Mapping Images... - 05/24/06 20:59

Is it possible to apply normal maps to images? If so, could someone post a link or any helpful info towards a shader that supports normal mapping?

Thankz...
Posted By: indiGLOW

Re: [REQ] Normal Mapping Images... - 05/25/06 17:28

do you mean sprites? please clarify...

I don't know if they can be applied to sprites, I would think so, as a sprite is just a model made up from 2 polies....isnt it?
Posted By: Matt_Aufderheide

Re: [REQ] Normal Mapping Images... - 05/25/06 20:15

While I dont understand the question either, I can say that currently I dont think normal mapping will work on sprites, because they dont have a tangent coord generated.
Posted By: xXxGuitar511

Re: [REQ] Normal Mapping Images... - 05/26/06 01:37

I'm sorry for not being specific enough. Yes, I meant sprites. I think what I need to do, to acheave the effect I am looking for, is to do......

crap... whats it called....

...bump, no.........

...I want an image to appear 3d. As if it actually has a form, not just an image. Maybe I should just extract a heightmap from it and make it into a model that uses a pixel shader?

ADD: I'm going to check out sphere's shaders now... try out the demo. I just need to convert the scripts to work with 6.4.05...
Posted By: Asse

Re: [REQ] Normal Mapping Images... - 05/26/06 07:58

I don't know if it works in 3DGS but in another engine you can add a normalmapping shader to sprites to achieve a heat haze effect.
Posted By: Matt_Aufderheide

Re: [REQ] Normal Mapping Images... - 05/31/06 18:47

Sure but the engine must support it, right now sprites do not recieve tangetn data. However, being that they are just flat planes, you might be able to generate it yourself very easily.
© 2024 lite-C Forums