Just an Idea

Posted By: Michael_Schwarz

Just an Idea - 09/12/06 23:36

Reading all that discussions, I come up with the idea to adpat the things we do in the 3rd Party forum and make Tags like there for Free and For Sale Contributions, e.g.:

[SELL]Male Character
[FREE]Rudder-Boat Model

would clear up things before clicking on a thread too exited
Posted By: FeiHongJr

Re: Just an Idea - 09/12/06 23:55

I think someone allready suggested this. Didnt seem to take tho. I agree tho something should be done. Not that its really an issue to myself but seeing as how this has been disscussed multiple times some form of action needs to be taken.
Posted By: Lion_Ts

Re: Just an Idea - 09/13/06 00:11

Better to create different topic, like "Ugly Artwork to SELL" , seems 'contribution' meaning isn't selling.
Posted By: Sebe

Re: Just an Idea - 09/13/06 08:00

I strongly support that idea.
Posted By: Towelie

Re: Just an Idea - 09/13/06 12:35

I do too, but I dont see why we should have to put a [FREE] in front of a post in user CONTRIBUTIONS
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Just an Idea - 09/13/06 12:39

Nice idea!
Just do it - if it's a good one it will be adopted...

mercuryus

Re: Just an Idea - 09/13/06 14:03

No, no, my point is, this is for user contributions. As someone stated in another thread, contributions are... what was the word... 'free'?
So why should we have to state whether we are giving a contribution away... for free?
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Just an Idea - 09/13/06 14:32

Hi Towelie!

My answer was directed to the initial post from/to Michael_Schwarz.
But by the way - user contributions can (and will) be interpreted different.
There shoud be two different topics: the shop, where users/companies can advertise their 3DGS-products and free stuff where free offers is a must.

Maybe conitec is thinking about new topics sometime...

mercuryus

Re: Just an Idea - 09/13/06 16:51

Oh, well ,regardless, my answer stays the same. There are pros and cons to the 'For Sale' forum. The only pro I can find is less confusion in user contributions.
Against that is, how often do you see someone selling something in user contributions? Not often. If they were to add a new forum, I'm sure it would be wasted bandwidth that is hardly ever used.

My approach would be, all sales should be on your website, showcase some of them in SC1 and give the link to your site. Bret, or Clone45, did/does this and it worked perfectly.
Posted By: Trooper119

Re: Just an Idea - 09/13/06 20:13

I agree with Towelie you should showcase your work and then people can have the option to link elsewhere to buy things.

@mercuryus

Where in the world did you come up with a definition for contribution that didn't involve something around the term "give" or "free"? I'm sticking with the definition that I've always heard of so far and saying this is for giving to the community, I like the showcase idea for people who want to sell things.
Posted By: cartoon_baboon

Re: Just an Idea - 09/13/06 20:20

Personally I like the idea of a seperate Shop topic or the [Sell][Free] thing more than the showcase 1 idea.

Re: Just an Idea - 09/13/06 21:16

The sepereate Shop 'topic,' or forum, is too inneficient. I don't like the [Sell] [Free] idea because this is a forum, for [Free] stuff, hence user contributions.
Posted By: Lion_Ts

Re: Just an Idea - 09/13/06 22:12

time to poll.

Re: Just an Idea - 09/13/06 22:13

It seems we have somewhat of an official reply.

Quote:

To clarify things here... when it comes to the User Contributions forum, the accepted use is both for Free and Commercial resources; this is the proper forum to post commercial resources in, commercial tools on the other hand are probably more appropriate in the Tools forum (however are still acceptable in the User Contributions forum).

-Rhuarc

Rhuarc posted this in the gun model thread just below this one.

I cant say I agree with this but the choice isnt really mine. If however enough of us to come together and voice our opinion prehaps this can be changed.

I looked up contribute on dictionary.com

Quote:

1. to give (money, time, knowledge, assistance, etc.) to a common supply, fund, etc., as for charitable purposes.
2. to furnish (an original written work, drawing, etc.) for publication: to contribute stories to a magazine.
–verb (used without object)
3. to give (money, food, etc.) to a common supply, fund, etc.: He contributes to many charities.
4. to furnish works for publication: He contributed to many magazines.
—Idiom
5. contribute to, to be an important factor in; help to cause: A sudden downpour contributed to the traffic jam.

Now maybe Im misunderstanding this but no where does it say a contribution is something that is given for trade or a fee ... Not sure about anyone else but when I think of giving something I dont expect something in return. Maybe Im wrong but I really dont see someone advertising as a form of contribution.

Re: Just an Idea - 09/14/06 12:43

Quote:

4. to furnish works for publication: He contributed to many magazines.

Basically a person who is selling a model is furnishing another gamedeveloper with a model for his game. And a person who "furnishes works for a publication" i.e. writes articles for a magazine is usually paid isn't he?
Posted By: Daedelus

Re: Just an Idea - 09/14/06 12:49

Technically based on that definition, you could say that 3DGS itself is a contribution to the gaming community.
I've always viewed "contributions" as connoting free and contributions that are for sale, as advertisements.

Which reminds me- I'll be contributing a small sprite pack as in (free) shortly..

Re: Just an Idea - 09/14/06 13:26

I personally also think of contributions as being free most of the time but I just wanted to point out that the definition in the dictionary doesn't necessarily say that.

At any rate I actually think people should just stop complaining. People are going to be posting stuff in Contributions that aren't free. It really isn't a big deal. You just gotta click on the "back" button of the webbrowser...
Posted By: Blattsalat

Re: Just an Idea - 09/14/06 14:04

where is the big problem?
add free or sell to the topic as you would add req on other forum parts and anybody should know what it is all about.

since gs doesnt have a special forum for commercial offers others then tools, i think this is the best way to keep the forum clean.
Posted By: Rhuarc

Re: Just an Idea - 09/14/06 15:22

Consider the forum somewhat mis-named then, whether by adaptation, or by origin.

Perhaps more appropriate to call it
"Game Resources"
"Find and share resources, both commercially or for free."
?

-Rhuarc

Re: Just an Idea - 09/14/06 23:44

Quote:

where is the big problem?

Personally I never did see at as a problem at all but there has been alot of disscussion concerning this more recently. Its very rare that someone acctually post something here thats not free anyways.

The only time I could see it really being an issue is if you were on very slow dial up and the poster used very large images.... Then I could understand being a lil upset/dissapointed. For me this isnt a problem tho.

Quote:

Perhaps more appropriate to call it
"Game Resources"

Resources thats the word I was looking for the other day. I was going to suggest the same thing but couldnt for the life of me come up with anything other then "stuff"... Im so smart arent I
Posted By: Daedelus

Re: Just an Idea - 09/15/06 03:07

Its not a big deal to me either but if there ever was to be a change, I think Rhuarc nailed it.
Posted By: William

Re: Just an Idea - 09/15/06 05:59

Doesn't really matter to me. But i'm thinking it would be a good idea to have a "sales" forum, where the only topics are from people from the forumn selling 3dgs related things. Usually people post there threads anywhere from General Topics -> Morbius when there selling things.

Re: Just an Idea - 09/17/06 02:51

Oh well, it appears people have adapted to the [Free] [Sell] idea...
Posted By: sPlKe

Re: Just an Idea - 09/18/06 02:56

wich si a good thing^^

Re: Just an Idea - 09/18/06 14:13

I knew it, all that was needed was somebody to start(hehe...me! )
© 2024 lite-C Forums