RPG tutorial -Poll

Posted By: Helghast

RPG tutorial -Poll - 12/03/07 15:38

Ok, so we all know BasketBallBen's tutorial together with davidLancaster's KH movement code totally rocks!
But I'm thinking, in the last past years i've been doing loads of RPG coding, but most if it went down un-used.
Would anybody be interested in a NEW turn based battle RPG tutorial?
currently i've been programming a dialogue system the past 2 days, that's when i got this idea...

My problem though is, because A7 is just out, would people prefer it to be A7 code, or still A6? I dont know lite-c yet, but i can offcourse learn that

What i currently have is movement (with animation blending "borrowed" from KH code). battle system (no magic and items yet though...), and the dialogue system. I guess converting these wont be TOO hard, but i still need to learn lite-c (too lazy to do so yet), so i'll have you guys decide. POLL-TIME!

Re: RPG tutorial -Poll - 12/03/07 16:31

Sorry @ double Post...

anyway, keep in mind, i still need to learn A7, so it's gonna take a whole while longer before i could make a tutorial on A7 only (also cuz i still got some things left to program...)

And reply's sure help a lot!!

regards,
Posted By: EpsiloN

Re: RPG tutorial -Poll - 12/03/07 17:18

Because you cant cover every single aspect of an RPG in your tutorial (better write a book ) I'd suggest you talk with a few other people wanting to create tutorials , and coordinate your separate 'systems' to work together. This way each one can cover his system in details and how it interracts (works) with the other systems.

PS.: Sounds a little like second templates folder for RPG

Re: RPG tutorial -Poll - 12/03/07 20:22

actually, i can, and i allready did
I programmed my own RPG from scratch (took some years to be able to do it all though).
But since i took so long to learn all this, i wouldnt want to waste my knowledge, but share it with everyone else.

And having with others earlier on this kinda thing, im sorry, but it just wont work XD I prefer taking a little longer (or make seperate tutorials for every aspect) and doing it good

Just making the finishing touches to my dialogue system.
then i can start part 1: Movement and blending.

anyway, some more replies and thoughts on this would be awesome.. or conitec sponsoring in trade for a tutorial

regards,
Posted By: Doof_Guy

Re: RPG tutorial -Poll - 12/03/07 21:00

Just wondering, how do you have a turn-based RPG? o well, keep up the awesome work, cant wait to use it (I got A6.60)

Re: RPG tutorial -Poll - 12/03/07 21:32

Quote:

Just wondering, how do you have a turn-based RPG? o well, keep up the awesome work, cant wait to use it (I got A6.60)

How?

I programmed it all myself, from scratch
how else could i make a tutorial about it
like i said, been programming for ages, and done a LOT of RPG's, all the experience i learned in the past ~7 years is what i can and want to share.

BTW, dialogue system now works with answers as well just got it to work.

regards,
Posted By: Germanunkol

Re: RPG tutorial -Poll - 12/03/07 21:39

congrats
screens or examples?
(examples, because dialogue system's only gonna be text, right?...so... what does the computer answer when I say hi?^^... jk)

Re: RPG tutorial -Poll - 12/03/07 21:50

Quote:

congrats
screens or examples?
(examples, because dialogue system's only gonna be text, right?...so... what does the computer answer when I say hi?^^... jk)

It's gonna reply: "vote my poll"

But i'll show soon enough, probably together with the first part of the tutorial series. I'll wait for another week on the results, to see what version people want it for, but by the looks of it, it's gonna be both...

regards,
Posted By: Mythran

Re: RPG tutorial -Poll - 12/03/07 23:08

Does it has a level system? I'm requiring one
If you could contribute it...
I would apreciate very much you contribution.

Re: RPG tutorial -Poll - 12/03/07 23:16

Quote:

Does it has a level system? I'm requiring one
If you could contribute it...
I would apreciate very much you contribution.

a level system? you mean like levelling up? or switching levels?

i've both though, but it's gonna be included in one of the templates, and im not sure when it'll all be out, might take a little while.

we'll see how fast things go.

regards,
Posted By: Wade_Adams

Re: RPG tutorial -Poll - 12/04/07 03:12

There was a demo earlier with a multiplayer turn based deal. I think that would be pro. I actually though about doing that.

Re: RPG tutorial -Poll - 12/04/07 08:05

Quote:

There was a demo earlier with a multiplayer turn based deal. I think that would be pro. I actually though about doing that.

I'm not too familiar with online programming, tried several times, but all failed.
also, i would like my documents to be understood by anyone, beginner and expert, so going into that kind of depth would be a little too much i think...

regards,
Posted By: Doof_Guy

Re: RPG tutorial -Poll - 12/05/07 00:28

What I ment by how how do you have a turn-based RPG is how is it turn based?

Re: RPG tutorial -Poll - 12/05/07 08:16

Quote:

What I ment by how how do you have a turn-based RPG is how is it turn based?

aaaahhh... sorry xD
It's a simple 3 vs. 3 battle, where once it's your turn, the game temporarily freezes (final fantasy X style).
offcourse any variation between the amount of players/enemy's can be set (with a max of 3 for both).
Any more questions, let me know.

regards,
Posted By: oldschoolj

Re: RPG tutorial -Poll - 12/06/07 19:40

I'd like to see more community growth in the realm of RPG's. As I've mentioned in previous posts. I will be releasing a huge tutorial on making RPG's in 2008. It will be more like a book, and cover many aspects of making an RPG from inception to completion.

Helghast, if you have this much experience, and wish to make a tutorial or release a TB'd RPG, I say go for it. You've got my vote!

RPGS for LIFE! lol

Re: RPG tutorial -Poll - 12/06/07 20:39

Quote:

I'd like to see more community growth in the realm of RPG's. As I've mentioned in previous posts. I will be releasing a huge tutorial on making RPG's in 2008. It will be more like a book, and cover many aspects of making an RPG from inception to completion.

Helghast, if you have this much experience, and wish to make a tutorial or release a TB'd RPG, I say go for it. You've got my vote!

RPGS for LIFE! lol

You know me Jesse,
And you know i'm good at RPG's. i teached u how to use arrays over skills

Anyway, yes i think i'll first attend it in c-script, i can always update it from there (and makes both conversion and learning easier to me).
anyway, i'm back to working on this now ^_^

regards,
Posted By: jigalypuff

Re: RPG tutorial -Poll - 12/06/07 21:31

is it possible for this sort of turn based stuff to be used in a fully turn based game similer to civ? i`d kill for a tut on turn based games.

Re: RPG tutorial -Poll - 12/06/07 22:51

Quote:

is it possible for this sort of turn based stuff to be used in a fully turn based game similer to civ? i`d kill for a tut on turn based games.

im sorry, civ?
im referring to RPG games like final fantasy (10 especially).

regards,
Posted By: mk_1

Re: RPG tutorial -Poll - 12/07/07 00:23

civilisation (by Sid Meier)

Re: RPG tutorial -Poll - 12/07/07 08:09

Quote:

civilisation (by Sid Meier)

DOH! how can i not know that game XD
sold a lot of copy's from that in our store, though i never played one.
but that's a round based game? i thought it was a sim/RTS?

regards,

Re: RPG tutorial -Poll - 12/07/07 14:02

no civ is turnbased gameing, and tbs games are my favorite genre, so like i said a tut on tbs games is something i`d kill for, or even pay in fact as it would involve no blood lol.
Posted By: Nems

Re: RPG tutorial -Poll - 12/07/07 17:22

jiagalypuff, I learnt its all about enabling and disabling (using switches) player and opponant per shot/move time from Wade_Adams while developing 'Borderline Conflict'. That started off as a turn based player (never finished it as I sufferred sever financial crisis and had to closedown my servers and stash everything for a year and a half but by then, my partner had dissapeared from the forums, old emails seemed not to work etc)
The idea was based loosly on Scorched Earth, one of the difinitive Turn based stratergy games from yonks ago that is now revived as a full 3D game.
There was also an underwater one that showed a good process too but have forgtten its name (so old).

Re: RPG tutorial -Poll - 12/07/07 18:04

never played scorched earth the uncerwater one may be x-com enemy unknown, i loved that game lol. do you still have your tbs code? and would you like to share it?
Posted By: Nems

Re: RPG tutorial -Poll - 12/07/07 19:12

No, the code dissapeared as the game progressed but I will search again thru my archives as I have no probs sharing code.
And yes, X-com was the underwater one
© 2024 lite-C Forums