Toon Car pack comes soon!

Posted By: Blitzblaster1

Toon Car pack comes soon! - 01/29/11 23:53

Hi everybody, in the next weeks comes my first toon pack and here is a screenshot render and ingame. All stuff is lowpoly!

Posted By: ventilator

Re: Toon Car pack comes soon! - 01/30/11 01:20

nice cars!

but on the ingame shots the smoothing looks a bit ugly. you should check out how to export smoothing groups / soft/hard edges from your 3d application correctly. or split the geometry manually if this isn't possible.

Re: Toon Car pack comes soon! - 01/30/11 10:51

I know what do you mean, this is a ingame screen with Blitz 3D, in Unity3D the look is an other. I test it with the A7 later. And i need a coder, that create in A7 or A8 a little demo with this cars. The coder become this models than for free.
Can you handle this job ventilator? Or an other coder...write here or a PM. Thanks!
Posted By: Machinery_Frank

Re: Toon Car pack comes soon! - 01/30/11 11:46

Yes, I know this also. When you import with default settings into Unity, it looks better. But this is just because Unity uses a smaller smoothing anlge compared to Blitz3d or Gamestudio. It is even better: You can tell Unity to calculate new vertex normals and you can put in each smoothing angle you like. 40 degrees works besst in most cases.

But this is not possible in many other engines. And unfortunately they smooth not at around 40 degrees, they smooth at something around 60-80.
This high value probably comes to smooth very lowpoly character models like made with only 400 polygons. This is a setting from old times. But it is still there.
This makes many models look strange and hard cuts or smoothing groups are needed to handle this.

Re: Toon Car pack comes soon! - 01/30/11 12:21

Thanks Frank for your unswer, at them moment it is 30 degrees. But here is a MED view from the first car:

Posted By: Quad

Re: Toon Car pack comes soon! - 01/30/11 12:31

Imo models are too basic...
this is what i would say a nice cartoon car:

Re: Toon Car pack comes soon! - 01/30/11 12:39

Yes, but this is only a lowypoly style pack.
Posted By: Roel

Re: Toon Car pack comes soon! - 01/31/11 08:52

I agree with quadraxas,
the cars are nice, but a little too basic, which makes them look a little unproffesional.
Even if you double, or triple the number of polygons, the models are still low poly.
the renders do look nice, but imo the in game screens look a bit cheap.
Posted By: Rondidon

Re: Toon Car pack comes soon! - 01/31/11 10:39

I think they`re nice for detail works. Like some toy cars on the ground. You don`t want to use 3000 poly cars for that wink
Posted By: Machinery_Frank

Re: Toon Car pack comes soon! - 01/31/11 12:53

Originally Posted By: Rondidon
I think they`re nice for detail works. Like some toy cars on the ground. You don`t want to use 3000 poly cars for that wink

This depends on the platform. I could make you some photos from games like L4D2. I am always wondering how they can use so much polygons for pipes, furniture or little details like a bunch of teddy bears at the ground. There is a map where you walk on a detailed roller-coaster. Even some kids carousels use quite detailed vehicles in large amount. There are bridges and highways with tons of parked cars and other details.

But dont try this on a mobile phone wink

It is amazing what a good scene management allows today.
Posted By: Blattsalat

Re: Toon Car pack comes soon! - 01/31/11 17:02

there is a small design issue in your models:
whilst using lots of polygons for the tires (that will probably rotate most of the time and are black), the other parts and the main shape of the cars are very blocky.
It should be the other way roung. Just a few chamfered edges would do wonders.

Also you should rework the textures quite a bit. add some details and basic shading to the model to save tris. just a plain color map aint gonna work.

And - I know its old fashioned and some might not agree- close the mesh! You might run into unnecessary and ugly rendering issues in some applications. Also the designer might need to flip the model and so on.
its just a few faces and texels but in the end they can make the difference.

cheese and have a nice one
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Toon Car pack comes soon! - 02/03/11 07:52

A priced package should consist both - lowpoly and highpoly (and more textures per model).
About the quality I accord to the states of the known model designer in this thread but i like the general shape of the cars.

All in all i love to see more toon content for 3DGS - keep on!

Re: Toon Car pack comes soon! - 02/03/11 09:21

Yes, more Toon Style 3D Content comes, for sure. I create a compled toon style contect, to create a compled game with this. Frogger Clone, Toon Racer Game and so on. With all what the game needs, but without code. 3D Objects, Sound and SFX.
Step by step!

Re: Toon Car pack comes soon! - 02/13/11 11:03

Here a new WIP car with more polys:

Posted By: xxxxxxx

Re: Toon Car pack comes soon! - 02/13/11 11:17

looks much better then before! wink
xxxxxxx

Re: Toon Car pack comes soon! - 02/14/11 20:33

I hope in the next week it is done!
Posted By: Landixus

Re: Toon Car pack comes soon! - 02/14/11 21:52

use this for reference:

http://www.turbosquid.com/Search/Index.cfm?keyword=comic+car&x=0&y=0

your cars are to basic...

Re: Toon Car pack comes soon! - 02/14/11 22:06

Quote:
your cars are to basic...

Yes...it is the goal from this toon pack.
Your example is not really helpfully, because i see toon cars, yes...but take a look at the poly count, i think you don`t understand the reason for my lowpoly toon pack.

Re: Toon Car pack comes soon! - 02/14/11 22:11

What is your polycount?
And what is the software you use?
Posted By: ratchet

Re: Toon Car pack comes soon! - 02/14/11 22:20

This is too much low poly even for Iphone !
And don't forget mobile platform are growing in power :
Iphone 2, Ipad 2 etc ...

Your models only would be good for display in far distance with LOD, but you need lot more detail for car near the camera !

Don't forget this beautifull game is running on a tiny Iphone
, and not a Bigpowerfull PC with A8 !
So 3D art really matters, not only power and engine.

So make somehting really good looking, go to hard work laugh
(post on Polycount forums , people will help you on making
something better and great) !

Re: Toon Car pack comes soon! - 02/14/11 22:24

i wrote this in the first post, but here again. All stuff is between 200 ~ 900 polys. Why...one of all it is for use in a low powerfull development like Blitz 3D, otherwise is the stuff for Phone Tools. But in 3DGS you can take this for a Frogger Clone or whatever.

Quote:
Your models only would be good for display in far distance

Yes....bingo....this is the reason, your example is not his, what i will do. ONLY LOWPOLY!!!

Re: Toon Car pack comes soon! - 02/14/11 22:40

Then name it "accessory parts" laugh and the other people will understand this, too.
Posted By: MrGuest

Re: Toon Car pack comes soon! - 02/14/11 23:19

Originally Posted By: ratchet
This is too much low poly even for Iphone !
And don't forget mobile platform are growing in power :
Iphone 2, Ipad 2 etc ...

Your models only would be good for display in far distance with LOD, but you need lot more detail for car near the camera !

Don't forget this beautifull game is running on a tiny Iphone
, and not a Bigpowerfull PC with A8 !
So 3D art really matters, not only power and engine.

So make somehting really good looking, go to hard work laugh
(post on Polycount forums , people will help you on making
something better and great) !
If you're creating low-poly cars (as you've shown in your 1st post) make low-poly cars grin if you want to make better looking cars like those in racing games like ratchets post (where people expect better lookiing car models) ignore them aswell... maybe people don't understand....
they're LOW... POLY... CARS!

Nice contribution! laugh
Posted By: Captain_Kiyaku

Re: Toon Car pack comes soon! - 02/15/11 00:01

Sometimes i don't get why people complain so much about asset packs, we all (especially programmers) should be happy that people create packs in different art styles!

I really like his cars somehow, i get the concept of his low poly cars and i can totally see them in a fun/cute game, you can use them as toy cars, or just have a very simplistic graphic style that can look hilarious.

So yes good job, keep doing what you are doing laugh
Posted By: lostclimate

Re: Toon Car pack comes soon! - 02/15/11 02:18

i agree he should be able to make what he pleases

that being said, they arent explaining their position properly anyways..

what they mean, is even a 300 poly car should look a lot better than that. right now most of the cars look like boxes with a couple extrusions. They look like they are made of about 50 polys. julz's car is a good example of a toon car with a low poly count. it still should look like more than a couple box's stacked on top of eachother.

But overall it is a good effort, and like kiyaku said, its your project, if other people dont like it, they dont need to download it. laugh

Re: Toon Car pack comes soon! - 02/15/11 11:37

Thx Captain Kiyaku for the nice words. grin
And thx too lostclimate for the last words grin

Re: Toon Car pack comes soon! - 02/21/11 11:59

Now you can purchase it Purchase here!

Re: Toon Car pack comes soon! - 02/21/11 12:13

Hast du mal wireframe shots?

Re: Toon Car pack comes soon! - 02/21/11 13:03