palm-tree by Loopix

Posted By: Loopix

palm-tree by Loopix - 08/06/05 23:45

Haven't done much for the community recently...please forgive me for going on hollyday...leaving you all alone!

Here comes a palm tree because some were asking for it. I know, it's not perfect...but I wasen't able to find suitable pictures for the textures. Provide me with good textures and I'l do better ones

...well, at least it's got nuts...yeah, even two of them!!!

(less than 200 vertices, TGA-skin 512x512)

Download the palm tree now!!!

Posted By: Anonymous

Re: palm-tree by Loopix - 08/06/05 23:53

Thanks Loopix!
Posted By: Nems

Re: palm-tree by Loopix - 08/07/05 01:20

Cool palm tree Loopix and thanks man.
Posted By: Crewed

Re: palm-tree by Loopix - 08/07/05 02:07

you are amazing
Posted By: ShadowFire

Re: palm-tree by Loopix - 08/07/05 08:46

This one will come in handy as well as all the other fantastic free goodies on your website. Thanks for sharing Loopix.

Cheers
Shad
Posted By: Sjoerd

Re: palm-tree by Loopix - 08/07/05 09:18

Thanks for this nice tree. You are a real help for the community.
Posted By: anarchie2199

Re: palm-tree by Loopix - 08/07/05 13:14

Thanks a lot! Also free for com. games?

MFG,
Punker.
Posted By: EX Citer

Re: palm-tree by Loopix - 08/07/05 15:20

Fantastic!

@anarchie2199: Free means free. If you got to his HP: http://www.freewebs.com/loopix-project/ you will see it is free. But you should donate him some money for his very good work.
Posted By: TheExpert

Re: palm-tree by Loopix - 08/07/05 20:04

Wonderfull

Thanks a lot.
Posted By: bupaje

Re: palm-tree by Loopix - 08/07/05 21:32

@Loopix - thanks for your useful contributions. I note on your site images with webzoom.freewebs.com are broken change it to www.freewebs.com and it works fine.
Posted By: FBL

Re: palm-tree by Loopix - 08/08/05 07:30

Quote:

Here comes a palm tree because some were asking for it. I know, it's not perfect...but I wasen't able to find suitable pictures for the textures. Provide me with good textures and I'l do better ones

I have some palmtree pictures as I trie dmodeling my own palmtree not too long ago. Not sure whether they're better than your reference pictures, though.

If you're interested, I can zip the images and send them to you.

Re: palm-tree UPDATED! - 08/09/05 00:29

Thank you all for the feedback!

I uploaded an improoved version that looks a lot better I think (see picture at the begining of the thread)...

@Firoball: I'd love to see your approach of palm-tree production...get this stuff zipped and mailed right away...

@all: Do you need more tropical plant-stuff?
Posted By: spartan131

Re: palm-tree by Loopix - 08/09/05 00:39

Loopix your plants are the best i;ve seen, they're so realistic! thanks for the palmtree!
Posted By: MathewAllen

Re: palm-tree by Loopix - 08/09/05 03:38

Wooh! Awesome as usual. Try making animated ones which sway in wind, that would be awesome!
Posted By: Efrint

Re: palm-tree by Loopix - 08/09/05 08:51

really nice tree....i really needed one
Posted By: EX Citer

Re: palm-tree by Loopix - 08/09/05 15:48

Animating by the wind can be done by realtime mesh deforming, in any direction by a complete world affecting wind function.

Tropical plants are very useful. I could need more of them. Especially large room filling simple bushes. I canīt find good reference pictures, but the tree tops of the trees of vietcong (I never played it) are exactly how I imagine them, just as bush and not a large tree with the big trunk:
http://www.vietcong-game.net/game/screenshots/vietcong_199b.gif

But in the end you should create what you like maybe something with flowers like in sunset down.
Posted By: PHeMoX

Re: palm-tree by Loopix - 08/09/05 18:25

Thanks man, nice palmtree !
Credits are yours off course,

EDIT: It has alpha sorting problems, anyone knows how to avoid this, or .. ?

Cheers
Posted By: Sjoerd

Re: palm-tree by Loopix - 08/09/05 18:56

The vegetation alpha script in the wiki should solve your problem.
Posted By: nifty

Re: palm-tree by Loopix - 08/10/05 03:32

Dang Loopix, you create really nice stuff. Anyone would be proud to put your stuff in their games. Keep up the great work.
Posted By: FBL

Re: palm-tree UPDATED! - 08/10/05 07:09

Quote:

@Firoball: I'd love to see your approach of palm-tree production...get this stuff zipped and mailed right away...

@all: Do you need more tropical plant-stuff?

Ah sorry, I forgot to mail you yesterday. I'll do so tonight.
About my own palmtree... well I doubt it's interesting for you. It works fine for my game, but it neither has a big skin, nor many polys. ( http://software.freepage.de/firoball/4lw/4lw11.jpg )

Plants? Well normally I'd say yes, but I try to give my game an unique look, this is why I rarely use freely available stuff.
While all those free models/sprites usually look a lot better than my stuff, they somehow take the "identity" of a game, as other 3dgs games look similar.

No criticism intended.

I guess for unique plants and environment models I'd prefer to pay some money - I won't do this a slong as the game is not close to final state, though
Posted By: JimFox

Re: palm-tree UPDATED! - 08/10/05 14:27

Hi Loopix,
Very nice work. I am planning to try to turn the coconut palm into a version that looks more like a date palm. That is what I need for my game. I will let you know how it comes out.
Regards,
Posted By: bupaje

Re: palm-tree -JimFox - 08/11/05 02:01

@Jim, I had some two pictures I had taken of the bark of what I think was a date palm. These were with the camcorder and the aren't as high quality as I'd like but maybe they will be of some use to you -or anyone else.

http://stormvisions.com/3DGS/palm_bark_1.zip
Posted By: JimFox

Re: palm-tree -JimFox - 08/11/05 18:56

Thanks, Bupaje. Very kind of you. Zohar also sent some nice reference art. So I am going to give it a try.
Best regards,
Posted By: Matt_Coles

Re: palm-tree -JimFox - 08/14/05 01:45

great work, keep it up, of course I'd love to see more palms
Posted By: Bilbo

Re: palm-tree -JimFox - 08/19/05 12:27

thanx for my birthday pressie loopix ^_^ hope you hada nice holiday, great work as always! cant rate you again
Posted By: Inestical

Re: palm-tree -JimFox - 08/20/05 08:28

How can u get black areas transparent?

Looks cooool..
Posted By: Matt_Aufderheide

Re: palm-tree -JimFox - 08/21/05 03:17

Very nice palm tree.. and the other plants too.. great site
Posted By: light_mystic

Re: palm-tree -JimFox - 08/21/05 05:02

Quote:

:( How can u get black areas transparent?

Looks cooool..

Do a full build with visibility on high.

palm-tree by Loopix - 08/21/05 10:08

Hi

Lord Sebe was so kind to host my palmtree (reducing the traffic of my site because of bandwidth-problems)...thanks Sebe!

(Coulden't change the original link because the edit-time was over)

New link for the palmtree-download...

Also you can find most of my trees and plants on Game Beep
© 2024 lite-C Forums