Multiplayer Game

Posted By: Dark_samurai

Multiplayer Game - 03/19/07 18:17

Hi George!
I would find it really useful, if you could make a little article about how to create multiplayer games (like a little multiplayer shooter or something else). I think this would help a lot of people here, to learn how to create multiplayer games in A6.

Dark_samurai
Posted By: George

Re: Multiplayer Game - 03/19/07 21:32

Will do it for sure. I'll have a few multiplayer workshops in the following magazines.
Posted By: ulf

Re: Multiplayer Game - 03/20/07 08:54

sounds great george, will you focus on lan or internet games?

Re: Multiplayer Game - 03/20/07 09:16

Mostly on lan games; however, with decent packet optimization I don't see any reason why a decent game wouldn't run on the internet as well. So the complete answer would be: lan and internet games .
Posted By: aztec

Re: Multiplayer Game - 03/20/07 13:14

Maybe you could do something like 2 Robots fighting against each other
like in the tv shows where they build their own robots with blades etc.
and fight against each other
I could make the Moddels for you if you are interested
just a little thought
regards
Aztec

Re: Multiplayer Game - 03/20/07 13:25

That's an interesting idea! Thank you for the proposal; I'll think about it. I'd like to start with a multiplayer shooter, but I'm open to your suggestions.

Re: Multiplayer Game - 03/20/07 13:53

Quote:

I'd like to start with a multiplayer shooter.

Okay got no problem with it Aum is allways helpfull doesnt matter in what way
Regards
Aztec

Re: Multiplayer Game - 03/20/07 16:34

Quote:

Will do it for sure. I'll have a few multiplayer workshops in the following magazines.

Sounds really great!

Quote:

I'd like to start with a multiplayer shooter.

Yes, I think this would be the best. Can't wait for the new magazines!

Dark_samurai
Posted By: Ran Man

Re: Multiplayer Game - 03/22/07 00:14

Can you make an example without any templates?

Just some basic car race game using ent_move or something?

You already made a car race game in an AUM, so just make it LAN capable...

I can't make a shooter.
There's too many of them on the market already. lol

Re: Multiplayer Game - 03/22/07 07:26

I won't use the templates in my workshops. I'll start from scratch and move on until we've got something playable in our hands. I didn't decide on the type of multiplayer game yet.

Re: Multiplayer Game - 03/22/07 13:14

Maybe you could make a Voting so that the community can decide what they want?

Dark_samurai

Re: Multiplayer Game - 03/22/07 18:44

No, I wouldn't risk that. I bet that 99% of the voters would ask for a mmorpg

Re: Multiplayer Game - 03/22/07 18:45

Quote:

A truely wise decision
Posted By: Puppeteer

Re: Multiplayer Game - 03/22/07 19:51

But if you can't vote for a MMORPG.... ?!
Posted By: Shinobi

Re: Multiplayer Game - 03/22/07 20:56

Hi George

I thought i lost all my files about my Ludo 3D game that i started once , now i am workin on it again for the Contest .
The point is ... what about converting it to a Multiplayer Game with 4 Players .
I would sent you all needed files .

Re: Multiplayer Game - 03/22/07 21:28

Well, it would be so much easier for me to create a game from scratch. My plan is to write the shortest script that creates a fully playable multiplayer game.

Re: Multiplayer Game - 03/22/07 22:15

your right its easier from scratch , but what i mean is games like ludo or other simular games as a Multiplayer Game . That would be interesting i think and its something different as a Shooter.

Re: Multiplayer Game - 03/23/07 08:00

Ok, send me the project and I'll take a look at it.
Posted By: vartan_s

Re: Multiplayer Game - 03/23/07 11:03

Please do a multiplayer shooter (hopefully with some tutorials showing how to implement it in a game). It could make possibly all the difference in my project. I'm coding AI right now, but I really want to put multiplayer in my game.

Re: Multiplayer Game - 03/23/07 15:54

Quote:

Ok, send me the project and I'll take a look at it.

I did .

Re: Multiplayer Game - 03/23/07 16:11

Quote:

^^

Quote:

Please do a multiplayer shooter.

Yes, I would also like that! I think a multiplayer shooter would demonstrate all the important things in multiplayer coding!

Dark_samurai
Posted By: foodstamp

Re: Multiplayer Game - 07/17/07 02:03

Has this been completed yet ?
Posted By: ACKNEX007

Re: Multiplayer Game - 07/20/07 03:59

i also want this Tutorial :-)
Posted By: Bright

Re: Multiplayer Game - 07/20/07 06:22

As Ran Man said, it would be handy to have a tutorial that doesn't use the template scripts. Been me I pefer making scripts from scratch

Re: Multiplayer Game - 07/20/07 10:58

I have to cover a few more things first, but a series of multiplayer workshops is planned and will make it into the following magazines. The code will be written from scratch, as always.
Posted By: D3D

Re: Multiplayer Game - 07/21/07 02:51

George: The Pong demo is 'easy' to make a multiplayer game from. The hard part is writing everthing down. I mean the things we need to learn in order to make these kind of games. You can do a shooter too, but I think most first need the basics.

Re: Multiplayer Game - 07/21/07 10:43

Sure, that's why I plan to write a series of workshops. I think that we can get something that works with very little coding; the last multiplayer workshop will probably be a shooter.
Posted By: TSG_Christof

Re: Multiplayer Game - 07/24/07 07:42

@ all who will take a multiplayer game i work on a multiplayer game im the level designer and the game running perfect in multiplayer. We have a very good multiplayer Script write but only run in the one game because have special technique. More infos under TSGames
Posted By: Ran Man

Re: Multiplayer Game - 07/24/07 21:18

Me project will be offically done in 2 months.

Please hurry. lol
Posted By: TSG_Christof

Re: Multiplayer Game - 07/24/07 21:40

The Minigolf Projekt is next Mounts ready and we have han only work 2 Mounths
Posted By: vartan_s

Re: Multiplayer Game - 07/26/07 19:39

Thanks a lot George, I was thinking maybe you'd forgotten about multiplayer. I have one question; will this be good enough for online play, or only good enough for lan. That is with about 8-16 players. Thanks.

Re: Multiplayer Game - 07/27/07 06:16

I'm interested in finding that out myself . Even my previous (and poorly) programed multiplayer code works great over the lan, so I'll do my best and optimize the code as much as possible, trying to make it run over the net as well.
Posted By: oldschoolj

Re: Multiplayer Game - 07/27/07 16:37

Goerge, I would really like to see a fast point-and-click targeting system if you ever get the chance.
Most of the stuff I've seen in the mags revolves around fireing in the direction of a target, I guess hoping it hits.
But what about for an RPG that uses buttons to cast spells or abilities, that need a target to become active?
I guess if you could show us RPG makers a code that revolves around having to select a target to cast a spell, or use an ability, that would be great!

Oh, some conditions would be that the spell always follows the target, if it was cast, like a firebolt or something. Also, that if the target is out of range you can't cast it.

Hope it's not to much trouble

Re: Multiplayer Game - 07/28/07 20:02

The target idea is quite simple: mouse_ent is the pointer to the entity that has the mouse pointer placed over it. You can then get the entity name / pointer, store it and do whatever you want with it.
Here's another idea: use enable_touch for any entity that will be sensitive to mouse touching and / or clicking.
Posted By: ShoreVietam

Re: Multiplayer Game - 08/19/07 07:37

@George

If you like you can contact me for the MP shooter.
I gained a lot of expierience by making my western shooter, smoothing with my mmorpg-server project (which runs smooth with 4 updates/ sec and still could be reduced).
And finally the starbattle where I learned that there is not that much communication necessary than expected.

@oldschoolj
Look for my game "Starbattle" (topic New multiplayer game "MORPG battle"), the script file is included and everything's well commented and in english.

Re: Multiplayer Game - 08/19/07 18:52

Thank you for the generous offer. I'll probably ask you to review my code and suggest improvements.
Posted By: ShoreVietam

Re: Multiplayer Game - 08/21/07 17:22

I'm still at A6.31.4, but I know C/ C++ well.

Newertheless was my intention more about the theory where what should be calculated.

Re: Multiplayer Game - 08/21/07 20:50

Thank you, that would be even more helpful. Prepare for a long series of questions (just kidding... or maybe not)
© 2024 lite-C Forums