Re: Aum67 - 10/07/07 10:27

nice as every time.
added to AUM Search and AUM Online.
Posted By: Nems

Re: Aum67 - 10/07/07 17:16

Thanks George, much appreciated.
Posted By: George

Re: Aum67 - 10/07/07 18:00

Thank you for the kind words, guys. I am looking forward to exploring lite-C and seeing how it gives us the best of both worlds (simplicity and power).
Posted By: Dragon6261

Re: Aum67 - 10/11/07 11:05

Do not know if this is where this goes. One of the resources listed in the Aum 67 (The GUI Editor) when downloaded and extracted I get a warning from Norton Anti-Virus that there is a backdoor trojan virus in the exe. file.
Posted By: rvL_eXile

Re: Aum67 - 10/11/07 12:26

Thanks George
Posted By: dennis

Re: Aum67 - 10/11/07 13:06

I (the author of that project) have packed it with nacasi...

That seems to alert some scanners..

There's no virus in it

Re: Aum67 - 10/12/07 05:54

That file is clean.
Posted By: PHeMoX

Re: Aum67 - 10/12/07 11:17

Thanks for yet another very useful magazine!

Cheers
Posted By: Rich

Re: Aum67 - 10/12/07 17:17

Great work on another excellent magazine, thanks!
Posted By: bomber

Re: Aum67 - 10/15/07 05:47

thanks! Wonderful!
Posted By: Orange Brat

Re: Aum67 - 10/21/07 00:42

George, the new menu system is fantastic. In regards to the Save/load system, I think it would be great if it wasn't like the version used in the old menu system you featured long ago (one function/action for each save/load slot). While this worked, it led to a lot of code if you wanted a large number of slots.

I think it would be nice to have a single piece of code that uses a loop (a for loop?) that generates the slots based off a VAR value. If I want 100 slots then I set this VAR to 100 and the loop uses it to create 100 slots. A system featuring an arbitrary number of pages and slots per page, as well as total slots (for developers who may simply want to have them all on one big master page) would be ideal and very flexible. A final cool optional feature would be to save a thumbnail screen shot of the level along with a time and date stamp for each picture/slot.

Anyway, those are some suggestions I've meant to post since discovering this. Thanks again for this regardless of the direction you take.

Re: Aum67 - 10/22/07 18:07

Thank you. I wanted to use a flexible number of slots for loading / saving but the main problem is the limited size of the screen. We can now create panels and texts at runtime, so the code wouldn't be difficult - your loop in conjunction with some simple panel placement code would do the trick. I'll see what can be done but from my previous experience, tiny thumbnails are useless (you can't understand what's inside the picture).
Posted By: Orange Brat

Re: Aum67 - 10/22/07 21:18

Check out the demo to The Longest Journey for a save/load system that is like the one I described. They use 6 slots per page and features many pages. The thumbnails aren't too difficult to see and those visual cues are very helpful when you've been away from the game for a while.

http://www.longestjourney.com/download/demo/

Here's a screen from my own system. It's modeled after TLJ but of course it's nowhere near as slick looking. It's just for placeholder purposes. It also uses your old save/load system and I've added a time/date stamp to it, and it's only limited to 8 slots because of this. Regardless, you can see that the thumbnail is easy to make out. Another technique, in addition to using multiple pages of slots, would be to use a scrollable area. Either way, you wouldn't have to worry about cramming all of the thumbnails on a single screen.

© 2024 lite-C Forums