The future of the big bang

Posted By: Anonymous

The future of the big bang - 09/11/06 18:03

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2006/09/060905104549.htm

I know there's already a thread, but this might steer the discussion away from the original purpose...

I don't really know if I need to add anything to this. I never bought the big bang garbage to begin with, so this isn't so much of a surprise for me.

Perhaps we can have some thoughts on it. I'm no physicist, so I couldn't dream up any explanations that could save the big bang in a million years, but I'd imagine someone will try. Either way, any alternative explanation will undoubtedly be no better, but I suppose even atheists need their creation myths.
Posted By: Irish_Farmer

Re: The future of the big bang - 09/11/06 18:04

That was me, by the by.
Posted By: Doug

Re: The future of the big bang - 09/12/06 02:43

It isn't that atheists need a creation myth, but everybody who's spent enough quiet time with their thoughts will wonder: "Where did it all begin?"

Science rarely (never?) has easy answers. And every answer it finds creates even more questions (not least of which is "Is this the right answer?").

Any "scientist" that tells you he has all the answers is smoking that special "science crack".
Posted By: MathewAllen

Re: The future of the big bang - 09/12/06 03:34

EDIT: just read the whole article. LIke i said in the moral relativity thread. No origin point. No co-ordinates. No absolute positions.
Posted By: jcl

Re: The future of the big bang - 09/12/06 09:01

This is apparently hard to understand for religious fundamentalists: Science is not a religion. It is not a fixed doctrine, but a permanent gaining of knowledge.

Observations that seemingly contradict previous theories come out every couple of weeks, especially in astronomy. Usually, the solution is found quickly. Sometimes however, astronomic observations lead to a modification of a theory, the development of a new one or - the last time in 1905 - even to abandoning a well-established theory.

This is however not to be expected for this one. Galaxy shadows on the background radiation are extremely weak. They can not be observed directly, but only indirectly through many assumptions and tricks. So the fact that they aren't found with a certain method can have a lot of reasons and is not so exciting at first.

Re: The future of the big bang - 09/13/06 04:47

Quote:

This is apparently hard to understand for religious fundamentalists: Science is not a religion. It is not a fixed doctrine, but a permanent gaining of knowledge.

I would believe this if certain people didn't act like it was. Certainly we could all agree that it is just a theory. But for a lot people, it becomes more than that.
Posted By: June

Re: The future of the big bang - 09/13/06 06:51

I'd rather be shopping for shoes!
Posted By: Matt_Aufderheide

Re: The future of the big bang - 09/13/06 07:09

I think The original poster has some problems understanding this article.. it doesnt "prove" that the big bang never happened. Certainly the conclusions call the current cosmology into question, but all it proves is that certain predicted phenomena dont exist in all cases. (specifically shadows in microwave background).

One study like this doesnt yet disprove the big bang cosmology. It does show us how little we really know about the larger universe however, and current cosmology is likely to be very incomplete.

For myself I'm not big suporter of a single universal "Big Bang". The extent of the universe may be much more vast than such a theory predicts. it seems at least concievable that there have been many big bangs in many regions of the universe, each creating galactic super-clusters or even larger structures we know nothing about.

Whether or not the amount of matter in the universe is actually infinite I dont know; certainly there is an amount vast enough that it cant be easily understood. The universe may not be exactly infinite, but it may be indefinite.

The interesting thing about cosmology is that it is a wide-open field, and we can expect many more discoveries and controversies for a long time to come, as methods of seeing farther and with more precision are developed.

Re: The future of the big bang - 09/13/06 22:38

Quote:

I think The original poster has some problems understanding this article.. it doesnt "prove" that the big bang never happened. Certainly the conclusions call the current cosmology into question, but all it proves is that certain predicted phenomena dont exist in all cases. (specifically shadows in microwave background).

When you're dealing with an event that can't be observed, reproduced, only guessed at, it better predict everything. Otherwise, what good is it?
Posted By: jcl

Re: The future of the big bang - 09/14/06 08:22

In case you haven't understood that article, here's a brief explanation.

The microwave background was radiated when the universe became transparent 400,000 years after the big bang. The radiation had a temperature of 3000 K back then, but meanwhile cooled off to around 3 K.

The background radiation reaches us from all directions. However when a galaxy is in the way, it absorbs a small percentage of the radiation. Therefore there's a "shadow" in the background radiation at that position.

Because galaxies mostly consist of empty space, the shadow effect is too weak for direct observation. However when a galaxy moves perpendicular to us, the shadow "lags behind" the image of the galaxy. In this case it can theoretically be observed.

Unfortunately the radiation absorption by a galaxy is very small, like 0.0001 percent, while the background radiation can only be measured with much less precision - like 0.1 percent. Therefore the shadow is still unobservable, however with a lot of tricks and statistical methods some scientist groups have claimed to have observed those shadows in the past years using data from the COBE satellite.

The group mentioned in the article tried to measure the shadows of some galaxies with data from the WMAP satellite, which has a 3 times better precision than COBE. They didn't find shadows. So we have now observations from the COBE and from the WMAP groups that contradict each other.

Unfortunately science has no infallible pope. Thus further observations are necessary to find out which group was right. After 2007 we'll probably know the answer. The PLANCK satellite is then launched, which is 3 times more precise than WMAP.

Contradicting measurements are very common in science, and are always explained sooner or later. Thus I'm afraid the creationist hopes of abandonment of science will be once more disappointed .

Re: The future of the big bang - 09/15/06 02:51

Quote:

Thus I'm afraid the creationist hopes of abandonment of science will be once more disappointed

Why are you using the word science synonymously with big bang? Big bang is a theory, its not the whole of science.

Re: The future of the big bang - 09/15/06 05:18

Yes it is! IN the dictionary it says for science defintion:
Science= Big Bang (and fish-to-man theory)

This in jerry fallwell dictionary for utter moron.
Posted By: Alberto

Re: The future of the big bang - 09/15/06 19:36

A part from this article , as far as I know the theory of big bang is widly accepted by the scientific comunity
Same situation as evolutionism and creationism.
Scientists can argue on some details but just a minority does not beleive in big bang and in evolutionism
Posted By: PHeMoX

Re: The future of the big bang - 09/17/06 15:16

Lol, is it just me, or are you talking as if you think that democracy isn't fair...? Hehehe

Scientists are well aware of the possibilty they may be wrong, being totally wrong or just wrong in some aspects of their theory. However, when a theory get's widely accepted amongst the vast majority of scientists, then usually there are good reasons for it.

I seriously doubt the credibility of any "scientist" not believing the evolution theory. It's not that it's mandatory to believe it in order to be a true scientist or anything, but how could a scientist not believe in it? Okey, mainly because I agree with the evidence in favor of it, but still I don't think a (true) scientist could deny it's the most logical way of things considered all the evidence.

Cheers

Re: The future of the big bang - 09/17/06 20:04

Maybe, if there were a method by which it could happen (mutations are out....the best they do is horizontal change).

Maybe if the fossils supported it.

Maybe if the DNA comparisons supported it. Then if/when I get into the science field I might accept it.

Who knows, maybe they'll find some evidence that overturns the past 150 years of not finding evidence. Anything's possible.
Posted By: Alberto

Re: The future of the big bang - 09/23/06 10:49

Phemox

Well, people like the hero fighting alone against a multitude of stupid enemies
Science is not an exception
Here in Italy all students have been told the story of Marconi
He invented the radio but the authorities were so stupid to let him go.
Actually it was not like that
Mr Righi immediatly understood the importance of Marconi's discovery from an accademic point of view but he did not see a pratical application
Because of the curvature of the earth a radio signal can travel a few hundreds meters only
That's why he suggested marconi to migrate to uk , which was the richest country .
They could afford to finance even useless stuff
At the time nobody could even suspect the existence of the ionosphere

In conclusion I beleive in democracy both in politics and in science with a few exceptions of course

Re: The future of the big bang - 09/23/06 11:29

Quote:

Maybe, if there were a method by which it could happen (mutations are out....the best they do is horizontal change).

Maybe if the DNA comparisons supported it. Then if/when I get into the science field I might accept it.

Irish just denying facts doesnt make you right.. its hard to take you seriously.
Posted By: Anonymous

The Best phentermine and Tramdol Directory on Web *DELETED* - 09/23/06 13:35

Post deleted by Doug

Re: The Best phentermine and Tramdol Directory on - 09/23/06 20:21

Actually, Matt. There was apparently an experiment done a few years ago where some evolutionary biologists combined mutations to see what affects they would have (in other words finally putting neo-darwinism to the test), and apparently it failed miserably. But before I would go more in depth on that one I want to read the experiment a bit more. Its rather lengthy.

Re: The future of the big bang - 09/24/06 12:25

Quote:

Who knows, maybe they'll find some evidence that overturns the past 150 years of not finding evidence. Anything's possible.

Right ... and the bible and church have all kinds of evidences supporting your view I suppose? Funny ...

Infact, as far as I know quite the contrary is true, fossils do back-up the general theories, same goes for DNA. I've been thinking about it, but I don't quite understand how they could totally contradict any part of the theory, would you care to explain please?

Cheers

Re: The future of the big bang - 09/24/06 18:27

Quote:

but I don't quite understand how they could totally contradict any part of the theory, would you care to explain please?

They don't totally contradict the theory. Its just certain evidence that should overturn the theory, doesn't. Which is something I've already said. DNA comparisons can be found across a lot of animals, even supposedly unrelated animals, so if you ignore the DNA that doesn't match up, or just say the DNA evolved twice, randomly, to be exactly the same, then evolution is all right.
Posted By: mpdeveloper_B

Re: The future of the big bang - 09/24/06 19:15

Quote:

Yes it is! IN the dictionary it says for science defintion:
Science= Big Bang (and fish-to-man theory)

This in jerry fallwell dictionary for utter moron.

lol omg rofl

Re: The future of the big bang - 09/24/06 19:19

Okey, yeah, I think I see what you mean. It's not by pure chance alone that things evolve, there are some controlling factors too, like environmental selections, that on more that one occasion were the same and probably had similar effects on a species' evolution. I also think that certain things quite a lot of species have in common also have very similar if not the same DNA code. Take liquids like blood for example or skin tissue, even a heart or other organs and basic body cells resemble those of the animal kingdom quite a lot and thus also appear in the DNA as a familiar string of codes perhaps? If we are all related in one way or another, and from one time on, life began as one cell, it's not that strange to discover familiar DNA parts amongst a lot of species. If DNA is the information about how to grow/build and thus evolve, it's not that weird. Infact if a God placed all animals on this earth, then why did he gave them similar DNA?

Cheers

Re: The future of the big bang - 09/26/06 16:52

Quote:

Infact if a God placed all animals on this earth, then why did he gave them similar DNA?

Well, I know there's the typical, "What would animals eat if we weren't all similar?" argument.

But really, if DNA is going to describe life, then all animals should have DNA. Now, let's say that God 'writes the code' for skin. If He needs to put skin on another animal, unless that animal has other basic requirements for their epidermis, then He'll probably use similar DNA for that animal's skin.

What we should expect is that DNA should be similar. It would just be a consequence of good design, in my opinion. In fact, I think the DNA similarities fit the design hypothesis best, but since design is unacceptable in the scientific community, they have to twist it to make it look like it fits their hypothesis better.

You can disagree with that, but I don't know how much more can be said.

Re: The future of the big bang - 09/26/06 19:34

Yes, but just because something can be explained both ways, doesn't mean one of them is not wrong or unlikely. However I guess it's up to further argumentation and different evidences to see which explanation holds.

As for the DNA argument, yes, a lot of animals have skin, which looks the same, hence the information to grow that skin will be about the same too, that's what we can derive from our world.

Can we really turn it around and say someone actually designed it and simply re-used already made things over and over again? It could be possible, but there's a problem with that. Simple put chickens lay eggs, eggs hatch, and there come more chickens. Now you'll have to agree with me there is no visible divine interference in this all, eventhough young chickens have something magical off course. Anyways, the way I see it, divine design could only have been way way back at the beginning of the single cell that all life evolved from. But that off course contradicts the biblical explanation ... and there are other problems with ID,

Cheers

Re: The future of the big bang - 09/29/06 00:58

Well, it depends on whether or not you believe that given enough time, the chicken will eventually hatch something other than a chicken.

There is nothing divine in a chicken laying a chicken, things are just working the way they do. God really doesn't have to maintain the universe beyond creation, but it all depends on whether 'creation' includes animals evolving, or just giving birth to similar animals.
© 2024 lite-C Forums