Wadda ya think?

Posted By: fastlane69

Wadda ya think? - 06/30/08 02:37

New Site. Still WIP but mostly complete.
Posted By: FBL

Re: Wadda ya think? - 06/30/08 09:07

IE6: Main text area needs some padding on left side.
Posted By: broozar

Re: Wadda ya think? - 06/30/08 11:40

i think you should use different fonts, mainly sans/sans-serif ones. other than that, nice. easy on the eyes, no wild flashing images, well structured.

your site does not pass the w3c validator.
http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.thevniversity.com%2F&charset=%28detect+automatically%29&doctype=Inline&group=0
mainly because you didn't use the "alt" attribute within img tags, and some end tags are missing.

Re: Wadda ya think? - 07/01/08 04:14

"your site does not pass the w3c validator."

Explain please. Totally ignorant about web design.

Re: Wadda ya think? - 07/01/08 22:18

klick me to get the errors in your code

what is w3c?

w3c on wikipedia

is short: writing web pages without knowing about the w3c guidelines is like playing music without knowing notes.

Re: Wadda ya think? - 07/02/08 02:13

So this is something that if I go back to my web designers and demand they fix, they will understand the nature of my request?

In other words, is this set of standards REALLY standard and thus any web company would recognize and follow it even if it's not SPECIFICALLY in the contract? Your opinion?
Posted By: lostclimate

Re: Wadda ya think? - 07/02/08 02:26

my thing is, when your searching the web, if a website you go to doesnt have alternative text for all its images, are youreally going to say eff this site, im not going here anymore.
Posted By: tD_Datura_v

Re: Wadda ya think? - 07/02/08 11:34

errors or warnings???
The alternate text for images might be important for certain groups, including those which might use less widely known web software / plugins / modes.
It would seem, depending on effort, a case could be made for correction within contract.

disclaimer: That is very nearly a bad guess.

Aside from that, user lostclimate has a point.
Another user may have used an analogy deemed extreme.

Re: Wadda ya think? - 07/02/08 13:13

if there is a standard for websites, it IS the w3c. of course you web designer will know what it is, if not, he's not worth anything. if he has reasons to break the w3c rules, to maintain compatibility with IE6 for example, ok, but a missing 'alt' attribute does not count in there. it's simply bad style. like programming without error handling.

Re: Wadda ya think? - 07/02/08 17:14

Quote:
if he has reasons to break the w3c rules, to maintain compatibility with IE6 for example, ok, but a missing 'alt' attribute does not count in there. it's simply bad style. like programming without error handling.

Perfect... that's just the type of language I need... thanks!
Posted By: FBL

Re: Wadda ya think? - 07/04/08 11:24

Even with IE6, it is possible to keep W3C standards. You might want to move from strict to transitional ruleset, though.

Re: Wadda ya think? - 07/04/08 14:07

of course it is possible to keep w3c standards with IE6, if you write sites taht are simple enough. but there are examples where ou have to brek the rules for IE, like in iframe tags, "allowtransparency" is not standard and other browsers don't need it, but IE requires it if you want to set an iframe background transparent.
Posted By: Volund

Re: Wadda ya think? - 08/22/08 03:46

Originally Posted By: fastlane69

Nice, I believe I met you at IMGDC [I read your blog]

Re: Wadda ya think? - 08/22/08 03:48

Could be. Lot's of people there. How would I know you or rather recognize? smile
Posted By: Volund

Re: Wadda ya think? - 08/22/08 22:37

Originally Posted By: fastlane69
Could be. Lot's of people there. How would I know you or rather recognize? smile

Not to many MMO devs though ... pm'd
Posted By: NITRO777

Re: Wadda ya think? - 08/23/08 14:10

I just read most of your story on this website(I stopped when you started discussing the details of your dissertation). (Interesting stuff) Did you ever consider using you physics knowledge for many of the gaming and graphic applications? The physics properties of light is very useful in rendering, real physics in games is of course monumentally useful, and cloth simulations, fluid simulations, there are so many practical applications of physics needed in the game development field. Why teach physics when you can apply it to games?
© 2024 lite-C Forums