SciFi or Realistic FPS

Posted By: the_clown

SciFi or Realistic FPS - 09/07/09 14:49

I just wanted to collect some opinions about this, so here we go:
Think about a military FPS - in wich setting do you prefer it, fully SciFi (like "in 50, 100, 200 years, see Gears Of War, Halo, Quake4) or something like VERY near future, more realistic (like "in 5 years or 10", see Crysis, CoD4, Frontlines)?
This really interests me, as I cant decide.^^
Posted By: Dillinger

Re: SciFi or Realistic FPS - 09/07/09 15:37

I prefer a completely alien environment. You know how the first time you watch a japanese movie everything is completely out of left field? All the building materials are strange, all the architecture and tools have a certain theme. The customs don't make any sense. Every time you turn a corner, there's some magnanamous decorative castle or odd religious scupltures ( or ARE they?? ). See the TV series "Shogun" and imagine the same scenario on an alien planet.
Posted By: Quad

Re: SciFi or Realistic FPS - 09/07/09 15:53

Realistic sci-fi would be cool, like MASS EFFECT
Posted By: Damocles_

Re: SciFi or Realistic FPS - 09/07/09 15:55

realistic Environments with some SciFi elements,
like in Stalker.

SciFi Elements are needed at some point, to intruduce unexpected
twists in the Environment,
but too much SciFi make the whole enrironment unbelivable,
and replacable.
Posted By: JazzDude

Re: SciFi or Realistic FPS - 09/07/09 17:51

Ha Ha...you didn't include my category which is historical, but in the age of guns.

It's an old fart thing.
Posted By: Espér

Re: SciFi or Realistic FPS - 09/07/09 18:20

My FPS ( White Storm ), i´m in creating atm, is a combination of:
- Historical
- Time paradoxes
- SciFi
- Occults
- Horror
- Realistic

A great Mixture.. But in a Story, it fits perfect.

Re: SciFi or Realistic FPS - 09/08/09 07:57

I think I took a decision, but I still want to hear some opinions, so go on...^^
Posted By: darkinferno

Re: SciFi or Realistic FPS - 09/08/09 13:25

if anyone can make a futuristic version of call of duty, i mean, aiming down sights and all but with a futuristc style, then i'll tip my hat to them... havent seen it yet, oh well, if noone makes it then atleast i i know what my next game may be wink what am doing is, instead of saying real or futuristic, i'm just developting my own game world which means i have to make my own version to everything, with this, i have small limits on what i put in..

Re: SciFi or Realistic FPS - 09/08/09 13:30

Originally Posted By: darkinferno
if anyone can make a futuristic version of call of duty, i mean, aiming down sights and all but with a futuristc style, then i'll tip my hat to them...

Sounds familiar...^^
Im not aiming for the typical CoD gameplay (with scripted events, endless enemy spawns and stuff), but the general military style, yes....
Posted By: bart_the_13th

Re: SciFi or Realistic FPS - 09/08/09 13:40

I'm always a fan of realistic FPS. Even if the enemies are not always human I'll choose Today Modern FPS, not too fond of historical past battle...
But if I have to play any SciFi game, then it has to be 3PS... Especially when the player is a female...

Re: SciFi or Realistic FPS - 09/09/09 08:49

Any other opinions?
Posted By: ratchet

Re: SciFi or Realistic FPS - 09/09/09 09:14

I play Killzone 2 , i like a lot it's futurist look laugh
COD4 it's realistic looking , but i fond it's too much near reality,
and Killzone 2 , makes you travel to some apocaliptyc world with futurist weapons, characters etc ...
That's fresh and good.

Caus all realistic FPS become really boring sometimes, they lack imagination.
Painkiller or Serious Sam 2 are example of non really realistic games with lot of fun !
What COD4 have over others is it's great class system in multiplayer, killzone 2 also have a cool system class even more pronounced and different from COD4 !

So what i could says , try to make an FPS with some originality , you can't surpass games like COD4 made by 200 professionnal people !

So yeah , make it futurist and bring originality if possible laugh
Why not RPG elements or a Class system even if it is in single player mode !

Re: SciFi or Realistic FPS - 09/09/09 09:25

Originally Posted By: ratchet

So what i could says , try to make an FPS with some originality , you can't surpass games like COD4 made by 200 professionnal people !

Fully seconded, tough I think CoD4 wasnt made by 200 people... wink
The only teams of this size I know are the internal studios of EA and Ubisoft, 200 poor chinese producing Splinter Cell 22 and stuff.. grin
But I think Ill go for a mix between realistic and futuristic... Something in between Crysis and Gears Of War.
Posted By: ratchet

Re: SciFi or Realistic FPS - 09/09/09 10:09

Cool laugh

Crysis is realistic in lot of parts, not for amor or some ennemies and aliens, but it takes parts in some realistic world parts.

Killzone 2 is in futurist apocaliptyc places, and i like that.
For Gears of Wars , it's like a neo futurist world : hold structure look mixed with new technology , and it's looks really good.
© 2024 lite-C Forums