SellYourRights.com

Posted By: maslone1

SellYourRights.com - 09/11/09 05:18

Hi!

A new website with an interesting sell-conzept is coming SellYourRights.com

On this website you can define the price of your game, music, books,... and so on, and people can buy your product "free".

I think it's a very good way to distribute your games!

cheers
Marcel
Posted By: JibbSmart

Re: SellYourRights.com - 09/11/09 07:11

That looks really cool! I've bookmarked it just now. Great idea.

Jibb
Posted By: Espér

Re: SellYourRights.com - 09/11/09 07:18

Bookmarked too!
Very well concept ^^
Posted By: Machinery_Frank

Re: SellYourRights.com - 09/11/09 07:23

This is the way how Blender got free (if I remember right then the community paid about 100 thousand). But I think it will work only for products with an established public awareness.

Re: SellYourRights.com - 09/11/09 10:21

Yes, right. Thats the reason, why blender is "free".

But however, you can define what you wanna get for your product.
Shure, for my 2.5D Spaceshooter i'll never get 100thousand $,
but maybe 100 $ (100 people donate 1$/person). and if i finish my 3d spaceshooter i could sell it as an finished game, than as an open-source with all files and data, and than a "book" or a manual about it (title "How to use the source", or "how to create an add-on"). So i could create a line of sell-able products around one "main-product".

(i hope you can understand what i am talking about,.... sorry for my handy-english wink )

Re: SellYourRights.com - 09/11/09 11:00

Yes, this is right. This is how the Blender makers still earn money. They sell books, tutorials, services and more.

But you need a widely accepted product to do so. A small software with 100 users will not create enough side effects like this.

I like this concept and the idea behind it but it probably is not for the small hobby user. But if you create something like Ogre3d or maybe an impressive new AI component, a better physics engine than ODE or a new innovative procedural animation system, maybe you can make a deal there.

Re: SellYourRights.com - 09/11/09 11:36

Yes, 100 user will not create enough effects around a 2.d open source game.
....But all this is just speculation (yet). We well see.....
How the webside already say: cash for you – freedom for your fans.
And if thera are no fans, you have no cash, but still your product wink

So no try, no win

Re: SellYourRights.com - 09/11/09 12:11

Originally Posted By: maslone1
Yes, 100 user will not create enough effects around a 2.d open source game.

Probably not. But if you offer a powerful product to create your own 2.5d adventures in a nice editor then you might find enough fans to buy it free and there is a lot of room to sell books, tutorials or artworks after this.
Posted By: Blink

Re: SellYourRights.com - 09/22/09 14:41

i really dont understand the concept. can anyone explain?
Posted By: Xarthor

Re: SellYourRights.com - 09/22/09 14:54

If I understood it right this is the concept:

Lets say Jerry is an artist (doesn't matter if musician, game developer or what not).
He creates a product (game, painting, music track) but doesn't want to sell it but giving away for free is also a hard time for him because he invested alot of time etc.
So he goes to sellYourRights.com and offers his product.
The concept is:
- If you pay me a total of X dollars I'll release this product for free.
So if he wants, say 100 dollars for the product to be become freeware, and gets 100 customers each paying 1 dollar, or 1 customer paying 100 dollar, the product becomes freeware.

This concept offers a possibilitie for creators to get some money out of their products, for customers to get something for free (if the price is already paid) or spend some money on it and get it when it becomes free.
Posted By: Blink

Re: SellYourRights.com - 09/23/09 02:42

thats pretty cool! i like the concept. its great possiblities for casual game developers and plug-in coders. even musicians. thanks for the clarity.
Posted By: Nowherebrain

Re: SellYourRights.com - 09/23/09 07:31

I don't think that is possible with a GS product. To make something free(like blender) would mean also making the source code free....and the acknex engine is not free.....on the other hand to just sell the "game" itself would be fine, but it would need to be very clear in the license(oxymoron).
Posted By: JibbSmart

Re: SellYourRights.com - 09/23/09 10:56

Quote:
To make something free(like blender) would mean also making the source code free
That's not true. Blender is "Open Source". "Open source" is by no means implied by "free".

Jibb
Posted By: Xarthor

Re: SellYourRights.com - 09/23/09 11:02

Exactly.
SellYourRights is about freeware, as far as I know.
And freeware != open source
Posted By: Rei_Ayanami

Re: SellYourRights.com - 09/23/09 15:52

I like the concept. I would really like it, if you could "sell" models on it ...

But well, it´s okay so laugh.
Posted By: Nowherebrain

Re: SellYourRights.com - 09/26/09 00:12

ok, this is true. I just think of "free" as actually free, as in, do anything you want..., but you are correct....you == correct.
Posted By: HeelX

Re: SellYourRights.com - 09/26/09 00:31

The concept of that service bases upon the Creative Commons as they are described here: http://creativecommons.org/about/licenses/

So, if you make e.g. a game free via SellYorRights.com, you can mix from the 4 attributes: attribution, share alike, non commercial, no derivative works. Now, if you would for instance DON'T use "no derivative works", you would let others modify, built upon it. If you would use "no derivative works", you would let others copy, distribute, display, and perform only verbatim copies of your work, not derivative works based upon it.

So there is no explicit need for open source. If you just distribute the binaries - that is no problem. If you would provide the source, but you would have to have A7 pro to compile and run it, there would be no problem. But in this case, another one could take it and "port it" to the free Lite-C version for instance or to OGRE or iPhone...

I dont really like the "real" open source idea of GNU for example because it doesn't really fit on authoring suites like Gamestudio. There was a nagger who complained very much that I distributed the RUDI source under GNU but you are required to have Gamestudio to compile and run it. That was one of the reasons why I wasn't to much interested in keeping it updated after the release...

Also, that SellYourRights.com concept could be nice for intermediate staged developing of games, too. If you would release very often intermediate stages of the game (alpha, beta versions) - you could for instance spend money on cool graphics and promote the next release with screenshots, movies and so on but you only keep on developing, if enough people fund e.g. the costs of the new level.

I am really interested how they manage to make the service available for software and more important: games.

Re: SellYourRights.com - 09/26/09 20:23

Allright!

I have tested this website on my own,... with 2 sellfmayde songs.
Song 1: sunrise. Song 2: Homerun.

One big problem: nobody knows this website laugh
The second problem: nobody like my music ^^ laugh laugh

(i am still learning how to create pro-music)
Posted By: Rei_Ayanami

Re: SellYourRights.com - 09/26/09 20:31

How they show in their videos : http://www.vimeo.com/5913870 (they posted the link on their twitter) you must make sellyourrights/your product(music) popular! You could post link to twitter/facebook or your one website wink

Your second problem, is the real problem wink ^^
Posted By: HeelX

Re: SellYourRights.com - 09/27/09 15:14

Hey maslone,

how long can you define the engagement time? Can you have an endless time? Because I could imagine that if you do much planning for the promotion and would try to nail it down in ... uhm 3 weeks, it could actually work very well!

Re: SellYourRights.com - 09/28/09 10:27

Maybe with small steps.... i could start creating little background-tracks for games / gamecreations.
© 2024 lite-C Forums