Torque Constructor release - April 9th - for free

Posted By: DWilki

Torque Constructor release - April 9th - for free - 04/02/07 22:46

Just thought you should know that constructor is being release for free April 9th. It will work with TGE and TGEA.

Link

Enjoy~
Posted By: broozar

Re: Torque Constructor release - April 9th - for f - 04/03/07 07:06

wow...! thanks for informing us.
Posted By: ello

Re: Torque Constructor release - April 9th - for f - 04/03/07 10:42

well, who knows. it states "Torque Constructor Releases April 9 ...for FREE - April 1,2007"

you know about 1April jokes??
Posted By: rvL_eXile

Re: Torque Constructor release - April 9th - for f - 04/03/07 11:35

Looks like a Great tool, maybe i Download it...

cYa Sebastian

Re: Torque Constructor release - April 9th - for free - 04/03/07 14:23

It's not a joke. Confirmed by many GG employee's. Still, my opinion is that 3DGS is a better tool, though TGEA has very good support for shaders. I was in BETA and own TGEA. I just find the lack of documentation and the fact the engine is very FPS centric troublesome. I do like the fact that the engine is cross plaform.

I hope that 3DGS supports shaders, soft shadows etc soon as part of the base package.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Torque Constructor release - April 9th - for f - 04/04/07 12:54

Thanx for the tip!
Hope their server is stable enough on 9th

mercuryus
Posted By: ello

Re: Torque Constructor release - April 9th - for f - 04/04/07 14:44

can anyone download it for me, i am away on monday
Posted By: Machinery_Frank

Re: Torque Constructor release - April 9th - for f - 04/04/07 14:47

Yep, I will download two pieces or even more
Posted By: JetpackMonkey

Re: Torque Constructor release - April 9th - for f - 04/04/07 14:56

i have been looking at torque up close, and I can't handle the lack of documentation and apparently polycollision is something new and experimental with a lot of problems.. aside from cross platformness and terrain engine, I don't really see the big advantage.. well maybe if the docs or technical info went beyond the brief, superficial ones were available, i'd think differently.

Re: Torque Constructor release - April 9th - for free - 04/04/07 16:06

Just a note that constructor will only be available to licensed users of TGE and TGEA. It won't be available to the general public. I should have added that to my initial post.
Posted By: msKEN

Re: Torque Constructor release - April 9th - for free - 04/09/07 04:14

Actually you are wrong. Its free to anyone who signs up for a garagegames.com account. Its been out since April 7th as well.

Re: Torque Constructor release - April 9th - for f - 04/09/07 10:56

Ive Download it 30 minutes Ago... I dont like it its very unconfortable, i miss the Vertex Function, Block Creation is Easy but to move its Horrible... Ive tested the .map export, it Doesnt Work with 3DGS...

cYa Sebastian

Re: Torque Constructor release - April 9th - for f - 04/10/07 20:21

I just checked this tool and I like it so far.

Angel: I don't know why you missed it but look at the bottom and you will see that you can select vertices, edges and faces to build your geometry.

You can select via materials, brushes and much more. You can change the center of the actions, you can easily move through the space.

The system is very similar to Lightwave (the little butttons to rotate and pan the views are nearly identical). So it is very easy for me as a Lightwave user to understand the GUI and the logic. I could work right from the beginning with constructor.

To me it makes a very good impression from the first view. It is powerful, simple to use, all tools are very fast available and I can move very fast through the virtual spaces.

I will do a bit more testing but it looks promising and could even be more productive and faster than WED. But let's wait. I will give more previews later on.
Posted By: xXxGuitar511

Re: Torque Constructor release - April 9th - for f - 04/10/07 21:54

Is there any possibility of use for the 3DGS user? Can we export the level to a usable format, even if it's a model (such as 3ds, x)?
Posted By: Dyc

Re: Torque Constructor release - April 9th - for f - 04/10/07 22:34

Yeah you can save as .map and load it in wed. I dont know about textures tough.

Re: Torque Constructor release - April 9th - for f - 04/10/07 22:48

Angel said it wasn't compatible?

Quote:

Ive tested the .map export, it Doesnt Work with 3DGS...

Re: Torque Constructor release - April 9th - for f - 04/11/07 07:37

I will check that this evening.

I already imported some artworks from Torque-users (map files). So it might be possible. Textures are not visible in the first moment. You have to create a WAD file first. But after doing that all textures appear magically

But I will tell you more later on.

The really good thing with Constructor is: You see shadows right after clicking a button. In WED you can see no shadow maps and that makes lighting a trial and error experience.

Re: Torque Constructor release - April 9th - for f - 04/11/07 07:38

sounds good enough to me! I'm gonna download it (after i sleep, it's 3:38AM), lol.
Posted By: bstudio

Re: Torque Constructor release - April 9th - for f - 04/11/07 10:05

I'm downloading it now, if it works good this could be the tool for me

Edit:
You can open .map files, as frank said you just have to add the textures in a wad

Re: Torque Constructor release - April 9th - for f - 04/11/07 17:19

HA! I downloaded it...

Now to test it out...
Posted By: TheTommynator

Re: Torque Constructor release - April 9th - for f - 04/11/07 20:15

Quote:

Edit:
You can open .map files, as frank said you just have to add the textures in a wad

So you just have to export it as .map file and simply open it in WED?

I tried it with a simple cube and got an error "Map File damaged at line 12".

Re: Torque Constructor release - April 9th - for f - 04/11/07 20:15

Who's using which version of 3DGS though?

Does it work with the latest public beta?

Re: Torque Constructor release - April 9th - for f - 04/11/07 21:01

I Have tested with 6.50.6
Posted By: TheTommynator

Re: Torque Constructor release - April 9th - for f - 04/11/07 21:11

And it worked?
Posted By: raymich

Re: Torque Constructor release - April 9th - for f - 04/11/07 21:28

map file can be imported into 3DWS (leadwerks) and exported as wmp

Re: Torque Constructor release - April 9th - for f - 04/11/07 22:04

It worked for Frank_G & BStudio, but not for Angel...

Re: Torque Constructor release - April 9th - for f - 04/11/07 22:35

I Have Saved my map on the Desktop as a *.map File, this doesnt worked for me, or im stupid ^^... 3D World Studio is not free, so many people cant take this Program to Convert the Map into a *.wmp

cYa Sebastian

Re: Torque Constructor release - April 9th - for f - 04/11/07 22:39

Now i have tested it Again... File-> Save as-> Map File... I Have opened it with 6.50.6 an 6.31.4... On both "Damaged Line #xxx" ...

cYa Sebastian

Re: Torque Constructor release - April 9th - for f - 04/11/07 23:17

I got the same error...

A6.50.6

Re: Torque Constructor release - April 9th - for f - 04/12/07 07:16

A6.50.6, maybe it doesn't work with really complex structures. Will have to test that. In constructor just press save and save it as .map file (dunno if it has a real exporter it just saves as .map)

Re: Torque Constructor release - April 9th - for f - 04/12/07 13:12

I Have Tested it with only one Block, i domt think that is Complex

cYa Sebastian

Re: Torque Constructor release - April 9th - for f - 04/12/07 14:32

well, i did both (one block and complex structure) but it both worked :S and it's with the 6.50.6 engine
Posted By: PHeMoX

Re: Torque Constructor release - April 9th - for f - 04/12/07 16:15

Quote:

I got the same error...

A6.50.6

Me too.

Cheers

Re: Torque Constructor release - April 9th - for f - 04/13/07 10:53

@ Bstudio

Quote:

well, i did both (one block and complex structure) but it both worked :S and it's with the 6.50.6 engine

Cheats??

Re: Torque Constructor release - April 9th - for f - 04/13/07 13:35

cheats??? don't get it.

With the cathedral example saved as .map i get the error, but with things like one block it doesn't give me that error. It just imports it and when i add a WAD file with the textures even the textures show

edit:
maybe a exporter is possible, just have to figure out the differences between the 3dgs .map files and those of constructor

edit2:
Ok, looked at it. shouldn't be too hard. I'll start on a converter right away

Re: Torque Constructor release - April 9th - for f - 04/13/07 18:05

SWEET!

Would be VERY helpful...

especially if you could export lightmaps for static meshes and such, but now I'm just dreaming, lol.

Hey, I've got a idea. Wouldn't it be possible to make a program that converted blocks to models from within the WMP file? For blocks you could simply find their positions, and create 6 meshes.... NVM

Re: Torque Constructor release - April 9th - for f - 04/15/07 06:10

If i have understood ure Question right, you would convert Blocks (WMP) to Models (MDL)... Maybe import the .wmp into the MED

cYa Sebastian

Re: Torque Constructor release - April 9th - for f - 04/15/07 06:12

Not what I meant... lol.

My idea is possible, but would take to much work...

Re: Torque Constructor release - April 9th - for f - 04/15/07 07:35

I Have tested the .map File with the Valves Hammer Editor ,it Works. This Tool is free an good to handle... I dont use the Torque Construction thing, i have more good experience with the Valves Hammer Editor, its easy an fast...

cYa Sebastian

Torque Constructor Review - 05/08/07 22:27

I have been working with the Torque Constructor right now. Here is a little review if you are interested:

The tool is together with the Lawmaker-editor one of the best world editors I used so far. It works very fast and reliable. CSG subtracts don't produce texture movements like WED often does. CSG subtract creates perfect brushes. There is no need to find work-arounds. You can just use it.

Texturing works fast. You don't have to open a properties window like you do in WED all the time. You just see all properties at the left side of the window.

Shadowmaps can be created in a second. Just press a button and you see lights in your windows. Every window can show wireframe, solid, textured, light-mapped and dynamic lighted scenes.

The real-time preview is fantastic and you can move through the scene like you do in a shooter: when you press the right button then you can just move around with WSAD and look with mouse movements.

It is rock stable and did not crash a single time.

I created a house with 6 rooms in 2 floors. It was fun, really. All my friends from MSN already know it

Here is the result:

And now to answer the most important question: "How can I get a level to Gamestudio?"

I exported it to map and imported into WED. It did not work. Then I imported into Quark and exported again as a map-file. Now I was able to load it into WED but all textures are gone. And all lights suddenly have the same color and same range.

So I had to re-work the level and got this in the 3dgs engine (A6.5):

This is not an optimal work-flow. But there are interesting things:

Even when you use many detail-brushes and rotated blocks you will realize that the level compiles much faster as the same level that you create with WED.
I don't know a good reason for that. Maybe it is because of the better precision of the Constructor. Maybe it does a better job with coordinates than WED. WED often has some strange floating numbers instead of integers when you look into a WMP file. This happens even if you use vertex-snapping.

At the end I wish that I could do all level editing in Constructor. But converting files to WMP needs some re-work.

So my idea is:
Create levels in Constructor. Prototype lighting and textures. But do the final texturing and lighting in Gamestudio since you cannot transfer them.

Maybe there are some of you with ideas to overcome this problem? Maybe some experienced Quark users around here can help me?
Posted By: broozar

Re: Torque Constructor Review - 05/08/07 23:08

quite interesting, thanks frank for testing.
do you own milkshape? i'd be interested if loading the map file in milkshape works. if so, converting to a gs-format should be possible, at least it's my first thought that i had while reading your review.
Posted By: TheExpert

Re: Torque Constructor Review - 05/09/07 00:50

So Frank you gonna push me to collect Torque, i don't want to program ,
but if it has the tools to entire level editying workflow fast and efficient ...

yeah nowadays tools are very important , lot of us are not independant studios with their armada of tool programmer.
and when you can have a complete terrain editor, interior , complete fast quality lightmapping for interior and object on terrain ...
i htink you have just to express yourself and avoid loosing time on conversions
and other time loosing things.

And their license is ok for me i will never sell a game i think
so their fees won't risk to apply to me.

And 3DGS fans , be rassured 3DGS still remain one of my favourites indeed

no demo of their tool , just to play with ?

Re: Torque Constructor Review - 05/09/07 06:44

TheExpert:
Constructor is free. You only have to give them your email address and then you can download it.

Broozar:
Interesting idea. I did not know that milkshape can load and save .map files.

All:
I forgot to mention that Constructor allows to load every arbritary mesh (static meshes as models) into the scene and that those static meshes cast wonderful static soft shadows.

I will show some examples later on.

By the way: Rotating and scaling is so fast in Constructor. All of you who know the in-game editor of Torque already know that you only have to press STRG or ALT to change into these modi. No clicking at buttons necessary. You work with the speed of your thoughts.
You can even rotate in 15 degree steps if you want to make well aligned rotations. Then you have to press Shift wile performing the rotate action.

Re: Torque Constructor Review - 05/09/07 07:56

Nice frank
Posted By: TheExpert

Re: Torque Constructor Review - 05/09/07 20:22

the problem of BSP based levels is that perhaps not all tools , make lot of unecessar vertexs, i don't know if they have a "join vertex" function ?
i m' not expert in nothing and even less in BSP system

Re: Torque Constructor Review - 05/10/07 21:13

Here are the images of my test level to check static meshes plus soft shadows:

The first image shows you the level without any lighting, flat and ugly:

And here the same scene with one point light creating shadow-maps for blocks and static model-meshes:

This makes quite a difference.

Torque games can be quite beautiful now. The crazy thing about this is: The shader-demo of Torque claims that the shaders work even on top of light-mapped geometry. Imagine this, how beautiful a level can be.
Posted By: Nems

Re: Torque Constructor Review - 05/10/07 21:59

Looking good.
Downloaded it myself but havn't had time to look at it properly so thanks for the reports.

Bought Torque not long after buying GS and yeah, love the in game editor but hated the lack of a consistant help source. Had to spend a week looking for articles and then couldnt apply myself to the scripting.

But, 'beauty' may encourage me to reassess this engine.

Re: Torque Constructor Review - 05/11/07 03:53

When I was messing with torque, my [static] models were casting shadows on geometry. Not sure why yours aren't...
Posted By: Nems

Re: Torque Constructor Review - 05/11/07 04:36

Happy Birthday xXxGuitar511 (man, what a long name!)

Re: Torque Constructor Review - 05/11/07 04:37

Thanks Nems [what a short name ]!

Hopefully we can find a good workflow for converting constructor to 3DGS. [A Free one...]

Re: Torque Constructor Review - 05/11/07 06:43

yeah let's hope so.

[offtopic]
Happy b-day xXxGuitar511
[/offtopic]

Re: Torque Constructor Review - 05/11/07 07:21

Happy birthday from me as well.

The static meshes cast shadows and receive shadows.

I can produce a better example if you like. Here you see only very low-res shadows since this level is big and you see only a little corner of one of 6 rooms. Besides that you can change the resolution of shadow maps in the Torque engine but I did not found a way to change it in Constructor so far.

But if I re-size the scale of the models I can create very sharp shadows if you want a proof
But you can have a look here to see that better shadows can be made:

http://www.garagegames.com/products/torque/constructor/

Regards,
Frank
Posted By: martins

Re: Torque Constructor Review - 11/01/07 18:53

Has someone already found a way to export geometry and textures from Torque Constructor into WED ?

I have no problems with geometry it works extremly well, however I cant get the textures to apear even after creating a WAD with the same exact textures used in T.Constructor.
Contructor is so far the best tool I've found to create level geometry and I realy would like to use it. I own 3DGS A7 and TGE and use both for learning.

It would be great if I could use one Level Editor that could work OK for both engines.

Regards,
Jose
© 2024 lite-C Forums