which engine......?

Posted By: Sam_Be

which engine......? - 10/31/07 07:26

hi

i'm corrently starting a game (well we allready started with 10 people)
we'r making a model-based-leveldesign. so we don't use blocks ect. we still are making models textures and so on so we use my a7 extra to but all together only to see if everything is ok. we are planing to buy a a7 com so we can use shaders ect and to start building our levels finally.
but i'm thinking that a7 isnt fast enought for our project still we are making a free ware game.
now i'm asking if you could write here any engines you know that are faster then a7 and that don't cost 1000€. it also would be glad if you could write here engines that have "non-comercial-licens"
thx
sam
Posted By: sueds

Re: which engine......? - 10/31/07 08:15

ogre is rendering engine and if you can had the time to work with the sdk it would be a good choice. It's free and powerfull.

you also also unity but it's only working mac for the developpers

S2 is also an alternative.

if you can afford it Unigine is a great tool, stunning graphics and features.

truevison is good but not much better than a7.

but for me Ogre remain the best choice. It's free powerfull with a huge list of contributors and developpers, and good features
Posted By: Tiles

Re: which engine......? - 10/31/07 08:28

Not to forget Irrlicht, which is also very often mentioned.

I would have a look at the Wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_game_engines

Or have a look at the Devmaster.net 3D engines list

http://www.devmaster.net/engines/
Posted By: Machinery_Frank

Re: which engine......? - 10/31/07 10:31

If you dont want to spend 1000 $ or more then you cannot use Unigine, Lawmaker or Unity3d (all 3 are superb alternatives).

You have to choose between free alternatives like Ogre and Irrlicht. Or you can start with engines that cost only a few hundret dollars like Torque Shader Engine (TGEA), C4-Engine or S2-Engine.

If you dont have much money then you will have problems to buy expensive modeller tools like 3ds max. So S2-engine is not a good choice for a free project except you have warez-modellers in your team. But I dont recommend to rely on warez at all.

TGEA supports lots of modellers and C4 can handle Collada files. Both have shader support, great shadows and lighting and fast renderer.

If you just want to make a shooter then you can even start with scripting only but if you want to make something different then you need a C++ coder in both cases.
Posted By: broozar

Re: which engine......? - 10/31/07 11:31

ston3d / shiva. superb shaders, lua driven, collada models, fast image post processing, all-in-one editor, 199€. totally free PLE edition to download (publishing disabled).

Ston3D link

Re: which engine......? - 10/31/07 13:10

hi

thx for all the replies.
it's funny that you don't get any results when i serch in google fore free engines^^^.
aren't there many different ogre engines??? oO
and which on of the free engines is the best?? (more powerfull)
thx
sam

Re: which engine......? - 10/31/07 13:11

the best free engine would be irrlicht, i guess.
Posted By: Captain_Kiyaku

Re: which engine......? - 10/31/07 13:38

Ogre is no gameengine, it's a graphicengine. So you need to script your own tools and systems.

I would suggest Torque Game Engine if you don't use shaders. You can use the "demo" for free to try out and learn the engine (it includes all functions and features).

If you need shader, maybe try the Torque Game Engine ADVANCED. It's harder to work with this and you have less documentation.

(I suggest those engine cause im working with it and i'm very happy with it )

The prices for both engine are between 150 and 250 dolla (for indie license, which is enough to sell games if you dont earn more than 250.000 dolla per year or something)

Re: which engine......? - 10/31/07 13:50

i can't download the s2 engine?? the tge is cool.
what coan you say about irrlicht? is it easy to use? and model suport script lanuage ect??
sam

Re: which engine......? - 10/31/07 14:34

irrlicht supports virtually any programming language, is hard to get in, but once yo're used to it, it is great (it's said so, well, i didn't master to get deeper in it). it's not for artists only, you will seriously need a programmer. use devmaster.net to get all the information you need.

http://www.devmaster.net/engines/engine_details.php?id=4

Re: which engine......? - 10/31/07 17:34

About irrlicht, I'm not sure is a good choice ... It's better to use 3dgs if you are looking for speed.

About Ogre even if only a rendering engine, the community provide workflow and if you are using blender for the character or level design you can export them easily. It's supports python with pyogre. Physics with newton and Ode, shaders and some powerfull contributions. Some game of Ogre look AAA games I've never seen an irrlicht reach this point. Anyway you need programming but for me there is no way to make a decent game without programming.

About S2 you don't need to rely on 3ds warez since many modeler tools export in this format. You can use blender to export your character in 3ds format

Re: which engine......? - 10/31/07 18:10

Quote:

About irrlicht, I'm not sure is a good choice ... It's better to use 3dgs if you are looking for speed.

umm... what are you talking about? development speed or application speed? in terms of application speed, irrlicht is by far the fastest engine i've ever seen. their parallax mapping demo runs at over 500 fps, a standard level between 700 and 2000 (without shaders).

Re: which engine......? - 10/31/07 18:11

hm ok but could somebody say which ogre engines there are and which one ist the best??
i know the neo axis engine but first it's in c# an 2. it ist very complicated to use the editors.
and what i dont like is the .mesh files from ogre.
sam

Re: which engine......? - 10/31/07 18:12

irrlicht as "just" an engine as well as ogre. if you are looking for a complete out-of-the-box toolset, you won't be satisfied by the free engines.

Re: which engine......? - 10/31/07 18:31

ok but how many ogre "game" engines are there???
sam

Re: which engine......? - 10/31/07 18:50

there is just one ogre library/engine, and it's not explicitly made for games, it's more a rendering tool. and i told you to use devmaster. http://www.devmaster.net/engines/engine_details.php?id=2
Posted By: ventilator

Re: which engine......? - 10/31/07 19:02

he means the game engines which use ogre for rendering.

from the ogre wiki:
Quote:

* GUCE - cross-platform engine, LGPL generic engine, build ontop of GUCEF and Ogre.
* The YAKE Engine - cross-platform, LGPL licensed VR and game engine. Genre-independent with a rich feature set. Also available for multiple-licenses, if LGPL does not fit your needs (similar to GarageGame's OpenTnL). (Heavy Development, Fully useable, currently active)
* NeoAxis Engine - is a game engine and toolkit designed for the creation of game titles for all genres, as well as 3D Visualization and Virtual Reality projects.
* SagaEngine - multi-platform game engine. Ogre version under heavy development
* OGE - Open Game Engine - Cross-platform, Only LGPL for now, game-engine for multi-genre. (Started Jan 06 - Planning phase)
* WGE - Wreckedgames Engine - From the creator of TheoraVideo pluging and OIS, comes WGE. A script (Squirrel) driven engine. It is licensed under the GPL, alternative license will be availiable. Early development.

but i think there are more. even some commercial ones like from pelican crossing.
Posted By: Machinery_Frank

Re: which engine......? - 10/31/07 20:07

Quote:

About S2 you don't need to rely on 3ds warez since many modeler tools export in this format. You can use blender to export your character in 3ds format

No, you did not understand. S2 needs 3ds max to export models. It cannot read "*.3ds" files. You have to use a plugin to export meshes directly from Max.

Re: which engine......? - 10/31/07 23:59

No, you did not understand. S2 needs 3ds max to export models. It cannot read "*.3ds" files. You have to use a plugin to export meshes directly from Max.

sounds weird no ? I think it's one of the siliest choice you could make !! :s

@broozar about urrlicht performance I had a very bad one the last time I try it. Maybe it's was my laptop because you result sounds surprising, I'm gonna try it on another computer to see if I was mistaken

Re: which engine......? - 11/01/07 00:06

yes, irrlicht has improved a lot reagrding the rendering speed. you will be astonished.

Re: which engine......? - 11/02/07 01:59

broozar you were right irrlicht is improving fast and It's to be a better choice than 3dgs ( since a7 don't have what we all were expecting) I was impressed by the raytracing features ( incredible for a game engine)

Btw I think a free open souce engine is the better choice because there is a lot of contributor like in blender or Ogre so Irrlicht is also a good choice since it's a real game engine and if don't have your own tool it's seem to be a better than Ogre or S2. But it's depend of so many factor you didn't give us like if you already fammiliar with a language or what kind of game you were aiming ( indie or not )
© 2024 lite-C Forums